1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF3tb crouch dash input is strict

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Tengato, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Tengato

Tengato New Member

I was playing around with 3tb on DC for the 1st time recently and I noticed that the input for performing a crouch dash is super strict. That is, you need to input a clean 5,3,5,3 for it to come out; 2,3,2,3 or 5,3,2,5,2,3 etc won't cut it.

This seems really harsh considering the nature of microswitch sticks... was any fuss ever made of this at the time? Was it like that on VF3 cabinets too? I was using a MadCatz TE w/ mods & adapters, but the input display data didn't indicate anything weird going on with my controls.

2. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

yep, that's all normal. crouch dashing was pretty broken in 2, and most people knew from 2.1 and from preview information for 3 and so on that it would be nerfed. it was missed by many, but there wasn't that much fuss about it.

3. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    Yes, VF2s crouch dashing was just plain stupid hard. BUT, it made so much more sense once it came out for the PC. Using a keyboard made it so damn simple, just hold 2 and double tap either 4 or 6. It worked like a charm!!

4. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

It's no necessary to be neutral on your stick, but the timing is a little bit strict. Use E button is a key(soul) to see how fluent CD is in VF3, not a regular CD.

5. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    I played a lot of VF3 in the arcade. I think I saw myself do a CD once. I imagine it was hard to do.

6. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

it actually isn't hard at all. like, at all. it just isn't as simple as every other version of VF and doing things like M-double palm isn't as easy because of the change in active frames for a CD.

What was hard was the what Myke could pull off with his modded DC stick. I still remember him playing us in Toronto with the *tightest* CD-E-CDs I'd ever seen. that was only possible by strict inputs which many people lack.

the tight neutral of the DC sticks (and dedicated VF3 cabs) were a nightmare for me since I had big, sloppy, inputs. took me, figuratively, forever to slow my hands down so I wasn't accidentally hopping, ducking or just missing crucial inputs in crunch time.

the wiggle method of CDing (df, d, df) still worked from VF2, it just wasn't the fastest method.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hey, I remember that trip to Toronto! Good times! I can also remember dinner at Swiss Chalet, which for some reason, I kept thinking was called "Swish L.A", heh. [​IMG]

But back to the topic, was the size of input window in VF3 smaller than VF4 and 5? I tend to remember it was, because the only real issue I recall with buffering CD inputs was timing, in that you didn't have a lot of time available.

Coupled with the fact that you couldn't CD backwards, it meant that buffering crouch dash inputs such as [3][3][4][6] more challenging than it is now.

I don't know that I agree with JHow's comment that VF2's crouch dashes were "stupid hard". If anything, they were much easier than VF3's.

8. GodEater

haha, that's all I can hear now. Swish LA. hilaire.

The input window was smaller and it took longer to be in a crouch than in VF2 (which was instantaneous).

yeah VF1 and VF2's crouch dashing mechanics were dead simple.

9. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    This is interesting for two reasons.

1) I don't remember VF3's CD being hard. But I haven't played it in so long I can't really remember and it's also most likely because I didn't do them much back when I played it.

2) My joysticks on my VF2 arcade machine must not be good even though they are new because I have a terrible time doing CDs with them.

10. GodEater

1) you're right in that VF3 CD isn't hard.
    2) I'll bet you are falling victim to the fact that you have a real VF2 cabinet and the joysticks are canted outward to allow THE GIANTS OF NORTH AMERICA to stand side by side.

If you look under the control panel you can see how they are positioned. once you're aware of it you can make adjustments.

on of my most hated things about VF2 was the cabinets and how the joysticks were effed with.

11. JHow77

JHow77 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JHow77
    You're right about the cabinet, and I actually figured that out about the joystick positioning when the game was originally released as the arcade manager was a good friend. I think the real problem is that the joysticks are too stiff. They spring back to neutral very well but there is something weird about the diagonals no matter when I stand. =(

Saying the word diagonal just made me think of something. Here is a useless Japanese word for the day: Hasumukai. The meaning - opposite diagonal ends. =)

12. Tengato

Tengato New Member

Hmm, so you're saying the input window is smallish, but that a stray [2] or [6] won't invalidate the input? And there probably isn't a difference between the arcade versions and the DC port?

I can only coax my stick into doing a [5][3][5][3] like 25% of the time, and in those cases the CD does come out, the rest of the time it's like [5][2][3][2][5][6][3]blahfail...

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter if no one else recognizes that problem. How essential was CD in VF3?

13. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try [3] [3_] instead of [3] [3], and to see you can complete a CD as you wish.

About your question, CD is very important back to VF3 since evade cancel is the key to play that version.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The CD input itself isn't that hard, it's just the application of it within combos that's challenging.

I think GE already mentioned this, but to perform "from crouch" moves from a standing position (e.g. in combos), you simply cannot buffer the CD in VF3. You actually have to allow the animation of the crouch to occur before the last input(s) is made. This ends up "wasting" a few frames outside your recovery period, and is what made the timing so difficult.

LOL! I hated those cabs too! The Megalo 50 was a God-send!

15. JED-VF3

JED-VF3 Active Member

PSN:
    Shun-Di-VF3TB
    You don't have to input 33 to crouch dash though, you can also use 323(this is what i use). I feel like a lot of Japanese players use 323 as their crouch-dash input even in the newer VF's as this is what most Japanese players used in the older VF's(AFAIK). Even though I've always crouch-dashed with 33 in the VF4/VF5 series, i find it way easier to use 323 both to cancel my evades/dashes and as my standard crouch-dash in VF3.

VolcanoShed likes this.