At last there is a somewhat easy to use client for PCs that allows us to play Virtua Fighter 3 TB (Dreamcast version) and Fighting Vipers 2 (Dreamcast) online with Spectating! This guide will help you get set up with BEAR and Radmin in order to connect to our private network virtuanet and challenge each other.
Some quick history for those interested, B.E.A.R. (Beat Em All Raw) is a fork of NullDC which is one of the most notable Dreamcast/Naomi emulators that ceased development nearly 8 years ago. BEAR strives to improve on the framework that was started by NullDC with a focus on input delay based netplay.
- VC++ 2015 (If nullDC is giving errors/crashing) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
- VC++ 2010 (If NullDC is giving error/crashing) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555
- Directx 9 (NullDC is closing/crashing) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
- Download NullDCBear.exe and extract it to its own folder
- Configure your player name, leave the port number alone, adjust your window size if you want and you will have the option to change your controls. A ton of different fightsticks and pads are supported by BEAR so you should be covered. Make sure to allow a firewall entry for BEAR as well or you will not connect online.
- To get VF3TB image file navigate to the Free DLC tab at the bottom on the BEAR client, while in the Free DLC tab go to the dreamcast section and click the link within BEAR to be taken to CDRomance, once at CDRomance navigate to get the VF3 CDI file.
- Extract the CDI file to bear/dc/roms path once its in there you should be able to select it
- Download Radmin VPN, this tunneling program will allow us to connect to the nulldc open lobby and virtuanet which is a private network just for vf players and vf events
- Once installed right click the top section of the Radmin window to change your user name, if you choose not to change your radmin username, your computer's default system name will be used. This is not a huge deal to change anyway as long as your BEAR player name is set.
- Click Network and select Join Existing Network+ then under Gaming Network enter the nullDC open lobby. This lobby is for the BEAR community and all supported games are played here (Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Capcom Vs Snk2, Fist of the Northstar etc.) Be sure to browse for matches.
- Now that you are connected you should see other players in the network, You can challenge players by clicking their name and hitting challenge.
- Challenge will allow you to fight each other, the client will automatically adjust the input delay for you based on ping, dont adjust unless you know what your doing. The general rule of thumb when it comes to delay based netcode is that the higher the ping, the worse time you will have trying to fight. If possible try not to challenge players with over 100 Ping unless you like lag!
- If you have followed everything correctly you should connect and fight.This guide will be updated as much as possible for the next coming weeks. Thanks to RossenX for creating BEAR! Stay tuned for a video guide very soon!