1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 - Arcade VS. PS2 versions . . .

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by kagadis, Mar 23, 2002.

1. kagadis

kagadis New Member

In my area there aren't any arcades any more (there's a Gameworks, but the games are a little dated and there's no VF4). Can someone give me the lowdown on the big differences between the arcade and home versions?
    Also, has anyone else been enjoying the home version's AI mode? I'm totally addicted to this awesome feature and am curious to know if anyone else has been developing characters. If so, which ones?

2. Kawa250

Kawa250 Member

The differences are minor and mainly graphical. There is a loss in lighting, and some jaggies here and there, but nothing that will bother of hamper the overall experiance. In my opinion the Home rev is better because of the wealth of options like Kumite.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Where your general area? Just sort of curious... Might help you find fellow players or bowling alleys with the game or something.

Outside of Japan, VF4 arcade is some special version of Revision B. The PS2 version is supposed to be identical in gameplay to the arcade Revision C. Though probably not a very accurate statement, I usually tell people that a good amount of what you can do on the PS2 can probably be more abusable in the arcade. But again, that's a statement to be taken very lightly.

Graphical differences between the Arcade and PS2 version are huge imo. However, AM2 did a wonderful job of finding substitute effects to give it the illusion that it's close to the arcade. But spend enough time with both games and you will probably notice how different the two really are in graphics, and that the PS2 version sort of has some cheaped out fake lighting in some areas and has a sort of "dry" look to it. That aside though, the PS2 version still looks VERY GOOD.

-Chanchai

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I've found no proof that VF4 Arcade (Ver. C) & PS2 are any different, besides all the kewl modes in the PS2 version... which are very helpful. Graphically, there are some pretty big differences. NOt sure about outside of Japan, but they're on some pretty nice screens here. Also, you meet all kinds of differnt players.

I went to a game center about a 10 minute walk from my house last night, and beat a Ha-oh & a Ken-oh! Monarch and something else... I'm too lazy to go read the English ranking titles. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: AI characters

Try sending a PM to soulmachine. He's the only one I've seen posting about the AI mode extensively. I believe he has like a 10th dan AI Pai.

I like the AI mode a lot too, but I'm too busy playing as myself right now to bother with it... =)
    When my fingers/wrist start aching I'll switch to an AI character to take a break. My AI Sarah is still in the kyus.

There are definately a few patterns that you can teach an AI to plow thru kumite mode, but they'll never be able to compete against a human player who knows what he's doing. I can't wait until we start having gatherings and start pitting our AI pets against each other. Soulmachine mentioned that they had had "cock fights" with the AI characters at his office.