1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 beta at SVGL

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Yamcha, Sep 30, 2001.

1. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

Re: VF4 at SVGL!!!

just came back from svgl today! stuck around for a bit and practiced with most of the characters..... yea the arcade stick is like the dreamcast stick which is pretty short..... and thinking of how short the stick is ya gotta be pretty accurate when trying to execute some moves (i.e. i had a hell of a hard time trying to do Akira's DLC and couldn't even complete it hehe... )

and ummmmm the cabinet is shaped just like the tekken 4 arcade and ummmmm it's green..... and the arcade stick performs better for people with small hands ; ) hehe

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Small hands, small...

[​IMG]

3. jackybrothas

hehe... ah well...... so chris, you and jason cha going to svgl tonight?

4. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Yeah dude, let us all know if you're gonna come. Mini VF3/4 gathering in the bay area!! Maybe Nick can be convinced to drop what he's doing and join in as well, heheh.

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I should be there this evening if my friend arriving from NYC can't make it for dinner or drinks, otherwise... the lady comes first. =P

[​IMG]

6. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Chicago, but at SVGL, on any given Saturday, you'll probably bump into Jason Cha, Jason (jackybrothas), me, Jemin, Don, Akira, Yamcha, Chan, Sam (maybe), John (maybe), GhostDog (maybe)... a couple of others I can't recall offhand.

GhostDog? Heh heh, I wish I was able to go to SVGL any given Saturday (actually, I wouldn't mind being on the West Coast). But it would be expensive to make weekly trips to California from Florida.

But I'm flattered that my username was mentioned when you referred to decent competition. Thank goodness the NY Virtua Gathering wasn't taped. Ugly sight./versus/images/icons/blush.gif

Anyway, when you guys get the final version, I plan to be there./versus/images/icons/smile.gif

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I was really thinking about going down there this weekend. I have the funds and all.... Problem is, I have an exam on Monday...

But I'll see if I can arrange something with my schedule. Who knows, maybe we'll setup an old-fashion at-the-arcade gathering, plus some good food. I'd definitely be up for it....

-Chanchai

PS On a side note, I'm still up for playing VF3tb with anyone... Brian, do you still play it? Maybe it's just me, but I seriously had no problems playing VF4test and VF3 on alternating days.

8. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

David, I was curious about the button layout on the new cabinet, what's it like? I hope it's not the hand-destroyer from the stanton machine. I was actually playing a VF3 machine I found here in LA the other day, and found the 2P side perfect, identical to the DC stick/japanese cabinets.

Jeff, don't worry about my name. And not to be a spoil-sport, but wouldn't you rather wait 'til the final comes out to visit the west coast? The beta is really fun, but it and Ver. B are really different... maybe you're planning it around a school break.

Nick, to be honest, the second I started playing VF4, I lost ALL VF3 skill. You'd laugh your ass off if you saw me play 3 now. I dunno, I can't get with it somehow... it confuses me. Guess I'm an idiot.

Spotlite

9. jackybrothas

comments on this test version::::::;

just us three (myself, chris and jason cha) showed up as far as i know.....well i just got back from getting my butt whooped .....hehe there is something wrong that jason and chris noticed.... the characters seem to hold their guard even though they released the button (the characters were neutral)..... and other than the stick being too small there was some good gameplay and they are still there as i post this.

10. Chanchai

Of course you're not an idiot/versus/images/icons/smile.gif. I don't know.... I just didn't have adjustment problems... but I acknowledge many people have had problems playing both. I don't know... VF4 just felt different enough for me to distinguish between them strongly I guess. But this kind of thing happens...

For instance, if I touch CvS or CvS2, it takes me a long time to play a decent Third Strike game... I end up doing really stupid things, trying to play 3s like CvS or CvS2 (or even A3 sometimes).

I don't know... maybe all this playing VF2 (PC and Saturn version) and VF3tb got me used to thinking a bit differently with each game I play, while keeping in mind what is consistent between the games. Not that I play VF2 on a high level, mind you. I am very confident in my direction with VF4 though.... however, I still love the type of action that exists in VF3tb... But of course I also love VF4. As spoiled as I am, I wanna play both!

When I say "maybe it's just me," I don't mean it in a looking down sort of way.... just that I acknowledge that a lot of those that like VF4test or VF4 a lot feel they cannot go back to VF3 aside from a few things here and there. I wouldn't be judging their past skill or anything. I'm just looking for some fun VF3 matches along with the VF4 action that'll come up.

However, I really am hoping to continue our friendly rivalry in VF4.... I'm hoping that you and I can consistantly grow and develop our VF4 skills and somehow keep being toe-to-toe like the last couple times I've met you in LA. Having that sort of Ryu-Ken kinship/rivalry is something that's just too cool! It does make me wonder why our matches are always like that though.... Do we have the same approach to the game or something? I don't know... but I do know that that alone makes any gathering worth it! The conversations, the matches for which the results are never truly known or expected, the whole serious mood you and I get when we play each other, etc... And you gave me tons of insight too!

-Chanchai

11. jackybrothas

i have the same problem.... and dang last night i've been up late practicin on vf3tb then when i played vf4...... it felt too awkward....hmmmmm well the gameplay certainly is faster and more responsive but yea i had to adjust. (and it took a lot of tokens to do so hehe)

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

Thanks, Nick. I knew you never meant anything negative. I was just saying the idiot thing to myself, basically.

I think it gives me trouble because they ARE so different, not that I confuse them in my mind. Each time I've gone back to VF3, it's like I'm playing for the first time. I know what I can/should do, but getting my hands/mind to to them is another thing altogether. I will say this, though. When I've since played on the DC, I can see that there are still LOTS of un-discovered combos in that game. After playing VF4 for almost a month, I got used to making the best of low floats. The floats in 3 seem insane. I think what makes up for it is the slowness of the characters. I did a few combos I had never thought of (SDE- b,f+P+K+E) that I could see would hit, even if they were useless. I'd always be down to play, I just think it's probably turn to comedy as I tried not to get killed. I guess what I mean is I can no longer play VF3 seriously, and I don't really care to. If you ever have the chance to see them being played side-by-side, maybe you'll see what I see.

In terms of the two of us playing, it's also fun for me. I think that our play styles are really different though; and that probably accounts for the interesting match-ups. I'm just speculating here, but I think that your style comes from the fact that you started palying VF3 latew in it's life span, when the only people still playing were pretty hardcore. I think since you responded to that by travelling all over and throwing yourself headlong into high level play, you developed a style that allowed you to stay alive against experts while learning the ins and outs of the game. Since I'm no expert, the style you made probably works well against me. I also think that you're much more defensive, and I'm really headstrong, so you can probably pick me apart when I slip up. I think you have good yomi. I also enjoy concentrating hard when playing you, but I'd probably do better if I didn't "try".

You might be interested to know I just learned Lion's PPP doesn't knock down in Ver B, neither does d/b+P+K (yeah!). The magazine I have says what's good to do after PPP, but I'm saving that for myself HHHAAAHAHHAH!

Spotlite

13. Chanchai

Thanks for the response man, it feels good to be having a conversation with you again (we've both been busy). Also, I'm flattered/versus/images/icons/blush.gif

On Lion... PPP is no big deal... it was a cheezy way of dishing a bit of damage safely while being a pretty safe response to some things (though usually, there were WAY BETTER alternatives). It basically is the brain dead response to some situations. However, I use PP(G) flowcharts a lot more lately... however, I don't know if it worked well even in the VF4test.... I think I got killed for using it sometimes. We'll see. As for db+P+K not knocking down..... BOO! But I don't know the resulting position yet, when I find that out, I'll have my judgements.... but I didn't even use that move all that much, though of course I did use it at least. In VF3 d+P+K+E is nice overall, but easily interrupted and so throw counterable (so counterable in general), but it was a beautiful move in the right situations and in okizeme. In VF4test, it was a fun okizeme move, but I didn't really know what to do as a followup if I used it as a normal knockdown.... just something to setup okizeme games I guess, and frustrate the opponent as well. Okizeme seemed to be the key thing with that move in the VF4test... I hope the situation gives Lion an advantage in version B though.... If Lion has any advantage at all, I imagine it can allow a mindgame poke-fest setup with Lion when used. If Lion is at a disadvantage after hitting normally, uggh.... That's just suicide and begging to be a counter hit, 3d move, okizeme kinda thing.... Oh well... maybe it'll form the new style of uramawari or something... VF2 style ff+P uramawari in the VF4test was just too cool/versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyways... I'll be looking forward to our future bouts in VF4! And you are right... Being late into VF3 and diving straight into matches with high-level opponents in effect allowed me to have good roots to the foundation of my play, reduced the chance of horrible habits (though I do have bad habits *cough* dodging after pokes--at least I have ways of using it well though), and basically I got to reap the benefits of their labor and experience... To all those I have played, learned from, talked VF with, etc... A BIG THANKS. I know where my development came from and I know that a "Thank You" and acknowledging respect is in order.

-Chanchai

14. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

They layout is still three buttons in a diagonal fashion, with Guard lowest, Punch slightly above, and Kick highest. I don't think it was quite as cramping as the test, the platform is bigger so you can rest your wrists and there's no little screw to give you a nice blister. It doesn't look quite look like a dedicated cabinet to me, I could be wrong though. So you've lost your VF3 skill? Bwahaha I have a fighting chance now! =) Seriously though if you really are giving up VF3 I'll miss our old matches. I haven't really had that much trouble switching between the two yet (aside from occaisionally trying to ukemi in VF3), but then agian I'm not that great.

Jackybrothas, I noticed that too, I think the Guard button on the 2P side was fucked up, like I couldn't move forward at all, then I noticed I was guarding without touching anything.

15. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Okay, just got back from SVGL. Jason Cha and I stayed till closing time.

The sticks were very unresponsive at first. Like the springs were really tight. And the G button on 2P would "stick" once in awhile... try tapping G 4-5 times and watch your player go into guard mode until you press G again. Bleh.

BUT, after 2 hours of playing, and lots of joystick wiggling between rounds, the springs seemed to loosen up a little. Maybe that, or we got used to it. And, more importantly, the G button didn't stick anymore. So while we took awhile to warm up, the games got much better towards the end.

The sticks are the American style sticks, but they look like they're sunk into the cabinet so you don't see the shaft at the bottom. A little weird at first, but it's all good.

I REALLY like the big screen (29"? 31"?). It's bigger than the screens on the T4 machines. Everything seems so much more in-your-face compared to the previous cabinet. The music and sounds are much louder now, too, so you can hear the BGM.

Looking forward to the final version coming out (next week?), but in the meanwhile, I'm glad I can start playing VF4 again, even if it's only the test version.

-- Chris

[​IMG]

16. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The first set of interviews start next week...don't know about you old timer, but most of our interviews are through an online system. ;)

I did try to look Dawn up, but she wasn't in the IBD or ECM phone book...I should've checked with the Outlook address book, but I forgot.

17. segaduck

segaduck Well-Known Member

Bryan !!!

It's so nice to hear from you again :)

I envy you for staying in Japan and playing VF4 for a month. I miss the great time to play VF3tb with you in LA, and hopefully can meet you soon.

Do you want to come to play VF4 in Sunnyvale this weekend? Maybe I can help you to pick up some memory about VF3tb by fighting with me again.

Thank all you guys on the board. I was so surprised that so many people replying my message, especially surprised about meeting my friend Bryan again.

I can't wait this Saturday!!! See you there :)

P.S. Bryan, you can contact with me by this new email address:

segaduck@myrealbox.com

My email address is available for all you guys on the board, please be free to write to me, thanks !!!

VF4 rules!!!

18. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Eh... I set up my interviews through an online system as well. I'm not THAT old. =)

[​IMG]

19. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Hehe went to SVGL for the second night in a row. Akira and jackybrothas (Jason and Justin) were there. Found this interesting nugget for Jacky: b+K+G ~ d+P+K,K,K,K,K, all lightning kicks will hit as long as b+K+G connected in open stance.

Hope we'll get a decent-sized gathering on Friday/Saturday...

[​IMG]

20. jackybrothas

yea i hope i can make it this saturday i'll be looking forward to some great sparring and i hope to see everyone and anyone new.(i think my bro justin will be there sometime at night)

"How many people wanna kick some a$$!!?? i Do! i Do!..." Stroke 9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jackybrothas on 10/03/01 04:53 AM (server time).</FONT></P>