1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 combos vs Tekken combos?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by TONY_T, Feb 22, 2002.

1. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

this is mainly for good players of both games and who know what there talking about... what i would like to ask is do you think Tekken combos are harder then VF4 combos or vice versa, if so why?
    I havent been playing VF4 for very long but ive figured out some cool looking combos but to me VF4 combos seem very easy compared to Tekken combos... i guess i havent really played long enough to give my final judgement but so far from what ive seen and done they dont seem as hard as tekken combos.. so what i would like people to do is post what they think is there hardest VF4 combo they have done or heard about and i would like to see if i can do the combo, thanks

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

VF combos are in general much harder to do than Tekkens.

3. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

can you give me an example of a hard VF combo??

ill give you an example of a hard Tekken combo...

Kaz and Michelle tag combo..

(CH)DF+2,WGF~5....D,DF+1x4,FF+1,FF+1,4 damage is in the hundreds and it works on anyone

4. ken

ken Well-Known Member

I don't think the execution of the combos is the measure of difficulty. With practice any combo can be done with precision.

Rather creation of combo/float opportunities is where both games differ.

Even with Lei-Fei's 80-90% combo it is not guaranteed and relies on 2 vital <font color=red>mistakes</font color=red> made by the opponent.

1- Getting hit by a Head Crumble move.
    All head crumble moves have a high risk. P and Throw counterable.

2- Tech Roll in a Head/Stomach crumble situation
    Simply do not fucking Tech Roll just because it makes you feel special getting hit in the back for 40% damage.

So in general.. high reward moves/floats are also high risk and generally more vulnerable or less abusable in VF4 than in Tekken.

5. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

with some characters it is, like akira's DLC(d/f+k+g,f+p,b,f,f+p+k) compared to easy combos like jin's laser scraper(b,f+rp,lp,rp) both in execution and the timing.

6. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

try out kage's TFT(b+p+g) combos, starting with his knee, they are pretty hard to learn when your first starting out with VF.

7. Legend

Legend Active Member

I played a fair share of both games.. well maybe I played Tekken more.. and I came up with the conclusion that, its not fair to compare normal combos ( since they are easy to to on both games).. instead compare the hard-V.hard combos.

So as of now I managed to do every akira combo I saw except for one, but in tekken tag I still can't do kaz's (CH)d/f+2 --> wgf juggle starter, also even after weeks of practice with jin, I still can't do 60% of what dohee-kim did in The cursed Legend: http://www.tekkenzone.com/ ( I think uve seen his jin combo video Tony)

8. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

9. Legend

Legend Active Member

Very nice footage they've got there.. but do these combos work in VF4 ?

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

There are no hard combos in VF3 or 4 - they're all pretty much timing, which isn't hard to achieve at all. There are some hard combos in VF2 though, requiring great hand dexterity. If you have access to arcade VF2 (yeah, right), try something like Akira's b,d+P+G -> f,f+K -> K+G,G (knee) -> 3x PKG -> iaigeri -> m-DbPm. Good luck.

11. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Not really. The game mechanics have changed a fair bit since VF2. Akira's iaigeri kick was taken out by AM2 (but the modified Double Palm and Knee have been around for ages).

12. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

lol! havent seen that video in soo long time, anyways thx for posting it!/versus/images/icons/wink.gif

13. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

so you dont think there are any hard combos at all in VF4??

14. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Depends on how long you been playing VF, new ones to VF4 will defently find some combos hard.

15. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

it seems that the vf3-4 engine has much more lenient hit detection when concerning airborne characters... vf also allows buffering within the recovery animation of attacks to a much greater extent than tekken which adds to the ease of floating as less precise timing is then necessary. as others have pointed out, vf2 has some very difficult combos... see the akira kid (shinz) vf2 combo exhibitions from the vf archive available from creed's ftp <a target="_blank" href=ftp://vf.dyndns.org/>ftp://vf.dyndns.org/</a> , the jacky floats are just ridiculous: e.g. f+K(MC) -> PKG -> iaigeri -> G~P,K

16. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

I have no dout that VF4 has a great buffering system, but can i ask what buffering juggles are you reffering to in tekken?

17. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

sorry dude, i may have been wrong about that. posts on tz in the past have reffered to a movement buffering method in tekken that works by holding the first motion of a move within the recovery of another. for example to buffer f,d,d/f within recovery frames hold F and once the character begins moving forward roll d,d.f. i have never gotten that to work in any form similar to the buffering that i understand in the vf/sc sense though.

18. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

yeah i was gonna say, cos in tekken you can buffer just about anything of any move, i havent actually fiddled around with any buffering in VF4 yet but im sure it would have probably the same sorta properties or at least similar.

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's a loaded question. VF players tend to choose the most damaging or best space positioning combos, whereas I've noticed there is a lot more literature dedicated in Tekken on the hardest combos. I.e. there are very, very difficult combos in VF, except those difficult combos are usually not the best or even the most practical ones, thus no one really bothers talking about them (I don't even know half of them). For example, there are many difficult OTB combos in VF3 that should be attempted only for showing off.

Personally though, I've always found Tekken combos harder across all characters, but I then again I have spent much more time on VF.

P.S. Why does the difficulty of combos even matter?

20. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Why does the difficulty of combos even matter?

Credibility I guess. People hold more respect for characters who have more complex manoeuvres. Compare the difficulty of Kage's TFT combos to Lau's PPPK/d+K etc.