1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 combos vs Tekken combos?

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by TONY_T, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

I think VF3-4 combo isn't as hard as VF2 combo. But neither is VF2 combo, if you have been playing for ages, it all becomes natural, and easy after awhile.

But I think for hand-dexterity show off, VF2 combo would still be the test. What do you reckon ? I mean to execute Ring Out senbon without scraping method, one would need to have well co-ordinated fingers /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

2. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

well its not so much that the combos matter, its just that well im a combo freak i guess, i love characters with cool looking and hard combos, you know the sort of ones that make a croud go "ooooooh" thats what got me into tekken.. what got me into VF4 is the smooth animation and gameplay and well basically i wanted to try something different.. maybe my oppinion will change in time maybe it wont but at the moment i find tekken combos much more forfilling then VF combos

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

For most VF players combos are a means to an end, not the end itself. That is, most VF players play for the guessing games, the thrill of knowing exactly what your opponent is trying to do and punishing him or her for it.

Combos...are mechanical. A monkey with lots of time and practice can eventually learn any combo.

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Agreed. For me it's the application of techniques, not the execution of them. Using Sarah for the vast majority of my VF life I've never had any real trouble dishing out commands. All her moves are simple to do but the challenge is implementing them in the actual game against an equal or superior mind.

Because of the many factors in Virtua Fighter, combos aren't usually chosen on their damage potential but more on their practicalities and the situation you are in, whether it's a wall, ring out or the opponents weight in comparison to Tekken which has none of these factors to worry about (or in Tekken 4's case just walls.)

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

so you dont think there are any hard combos at all in VF4??

Correct. I'm very used to VF though, playing it from pretty much the beginning of the series.

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

So in general.. high reward moves/floats are also high risk and generally more vulnerable or less abusable in VF4 than in Tekken.

I should never allow myself to be sucked into another tekken vs. vf thread, but...
    I have no idea how you came up with this, given your points #1 and #2. Anyway we were chatting about combos no? Not about 90% flowcharts.

People who are pissed at VF4 cite that moves are now too rewarding and too abusable. Personally, I think tekken's are more abusable. Minor counters in tekken are something I found to be almost worthless... a lot of characters have launchers that, when blocked, knock you back a mile and are uncounterable.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Which game?

A hard VF combo in VF2:
    iai, iai, iai, m-dbpm ...you have to have your stance switched from whatever it started out as, and also open in relation to the opponent. The press K (for a major counter), tap guard to cancel it on frame 13?? if I recall. Walk forward to get to the other stance. Repeat the K,G iai kick. Repeat it again. Quickly, before the opponent hits the floor, buffer a crouch dash as you tap guard and do a double palm.

It's the double palm that's a bastard, I can do the iai's ok but can't crank out the double palm. Maybe with a good stick.

VF3: Like GLC said, nothing tough in VF3/4. A lot of it is situational. Try this anti-taka one with lion.

d/f+P+G, u+P+K. Dodge to line up with taka. d+K, f+P (uppercut), m-uppercut, f+P, P. The hard part is the modified uppercut. It needs like 1 or 2 frame timing.
    knowing where to dodge is easy with practice, but may be tough for you the first few times you try it.

There are also some tough wall combos. There's one where the positioning is very strict, using akira I did a ground punch (d/f+P while opponent is down) and they (Taka) bounced off the wall for a DLC. So I've been trying to recreate that combo and never have.

For VF4, so far nothing's hard. Jacky's iaigeri kick is back, sort of... go to shuffle step and use the lunging kick, cancel it around the 13th frame, combo into a knee, then whatever.

8. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

well in high level tekken, combos dont mean anything either, everyone will stick to whats easiest and abusable, probably the same as VF i dunno.. as for strats and tactics yeah im all for that kinda stuff, infact if you dont know any good strat or advanced techniques in tekken you aint gonna do to good at all, im sure its the same in VF...
    But if there is one thing i have learned playing fighting games that pleases crowds, its gotta be doing something new that no one has ever seen, it could be a combo, it could be a tactic, it could just be a plain old move. for me i prefer to wow the croud by doing a hard combo or a totally original combo...

9. TequilaPilot

TequilaPilot Member

Hey, Tony... TequilaBomb here.. nice to see you on the VF bandwagon...

Well.. here's my 2 cents for topic. IMO Tekken have harder combos... for one thing, VF hits do shitloads more damage than Tekken in general. A kickass juggle in Tekken might only take quarter life bar.. where as a few roundhouses would kill u in VF.... VF is more centered on the guessing games really, what with the multiple throw escape buffering, whereas Tekken, if u press throw escape, only the first one counts..

Anyway, what chars u playing in VF4, Tony?

10. TONY_T

TONY_T Active Member

At the moment im getting into Lau, but i know some Lei and a little bit of Shun, i think there the main characters ill be using in VF4..

11. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Credibility I guess. People hold more respect for characters who have more complex manoeuvres. Compare the difficulty of Kage's TFT combos to Lau's PPPK/d+K etc.

That's why I stay the hell away from Lau! I just can't stand those combos... makes me want to SPoD the hell out of him or something. And sure, no hard combos can be that practical in tourney play, but they're just one more thing to practice at, and it gives the player some style. I've only done Jin's b,f+2 (ch), ewgf, tgf,3 combo two or three times against an actual person (in casual play) and it was all worth it...

Oh and for the record, Tony-T is damn good at combos. When I get around to Arcadepimp on <a target="_blank" href=http://underactive.net/~jsison/tekken>my page</a> I'm putting the "must see" distinction on all combo movies, especially his. Sick-ass Lei combos, and those Devil combos... my god, wgf (ch), 1, 1, 1, 1, wgf?? On Kunimitsu!?

12. Torneko

Torneko Well-Known Member

I think people will give credit to persons that can put a show for them. Its like WWF Vs UFC or something like that. It takes two to Tango /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

13. Bedwettah

Bedwettah Active Member

>>Because of the many factors in Virtua Fighter, combos aren't usually chosen on their damage potential but more on their practicalities and the situation you are in, whether it's a wall, ring out or the opponents weight in comparison to Tekken which has none of these factors to worry about (or in Tekken 4's case just walls.) <<

Tekken has had a weight system since tekken 3. Also tekken 4 has elevation shifts that let you alter your combo.

vf3 doesn't have any hard combos? You people must have gotten really good at the vf3 m-dblpalm, pulling that off for me without the backwards crouch dash is as awkward as fuck.