1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

vf4 counter list

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mr. Bungle, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

..in which I end up biting off more than I can chew and regretting it. "I know! I'll transcribe and consolidate the numerous mC lists on Japanese websites for the benefit of VF players!" I said. "It'll be interesting and fun! YeaahhH!" I screamed, in Jacky-like voice.

Many hours later I'm about to claw my eyeballs out. I look like this right now:

[​IMG]

It's up <a target="_blank" href=http://home.earthlink.net/~foops/vf4_counter_list.txt>HERE</a>. And it's only in a crappy embryonic form right now. The format and organization probably wasn't the best choice, there's a fuckload of redundancy at this point, simply because I don't have the info for most of the characters. But keep checking the url for updates, it will definitely be getting larger and more helpful. Right now Akira/Jacky/Kage/Sarah/Wolf have the most detailed lists.

Oh and thanks to all that replied/tested on the option select thread, it's appreciated. More later...

2. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

hey good job on this faq!! i'll try to add to it by posting somtime tomorrow (after i go to the arcade and test them out especially with vanessa and lei fei)

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Looks good for a first start at collating this stuff. It's gonna be extremely long in this format though.... I'd prefer to see it in a table like we had for VF3. Each character has a table with their attacks listed down the vertical axis then give each opposing character their own column. Fill in the table cells with the counter attack options that are available. This makes it easier to compare/contrast different characters vs. a common opponent. Still a ton of work.... and probably more so if you're dealing with a text document :meh: If you're comfortable with this format, then continue on. It is very readable and easily understood as is. We can work on summarizing the data later on. (Geez, a comparable complete list from VF2 would be like 15 pages... this will go 100+ easily.)

Also there's a couple of typos in the introduction... you need to change "combos" to "counters" in a couple of places.

One comment on the Sarah counters: Going by the VF3tb execution times, the df+P chop and high kick both come out in 12 frames. I have no reason to believe that the chop was slowed down in VF4. High kick-punch gives a guaranteed knock down and a low float combo on minor counter, but as a Sarah player I think it might be worthwhile to use the chop-kick into flamingo stance and the mind games that result from there as a very viable alternative.

4. Mr. Bungle

> It's gonna be extremely long in this format though....

It also might be pointless in the long run, when or if we get frame advantage stats. If it's like the tb mook, all you'll have to do is look at the opponent disadvantage time and compare it with the exe time of your moves.

However, gamest also did publish a list of the "best" counters for moves; ie, you were given the best (as in most damaging) mC move/float possible after a certain move. Maybe it'll evolve into that...

I think I'll stick with the format for now, simply because I like text, and don't feel up to working with html. The table would have to be massive, too...

5. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

nice post.

anyway I want to add that vanessa's g,u+p is THROW counterable. So please throw Vasenssa after blocking it.

6. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Nice post Rich

From the data it seems Sarah now has the fastest jab in the game. However some of the counters seem weird. I'm fairly certain Kage gets a low throw after blocking Kage's b,b+K+G, and Akira gets SPOD after Kages DPK and Lau'sPPPd+K. Also Kage can def elbow stagger Jacky's db+PK...maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I'm adamant all the above are guaranteed counters.

Still damn useful info.

7. Mr. Bungle

Aoi/Pai/Sarah share the fasted punch now. Throws are still faster than punches, though.

> Akira gets SPOD after Kages DPK

Why SPoD when he can do QCB+P -> b,f,f+P+K for well over half the lifebar? I need to elaborate some things...the list shows the minimum of what you can do, and the max, as well as some important alternative choices. This is generally how the mC lists on Japanese pages work; to list everything possible would be too long and would include moves that would lead nowhere. So for Akira Vs Kage's DPK, the least he can do is d+P, the most is QCB+P.

The list is updated...all the Daily VF lists are up. There's still a lot of work to be done, though, and if anyone has anything to add (that they're CERTAIN of), please do.

8. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

well,

I have read on some Japanese boards and the black book (I think) that Venessa's (defensive) d/f+p is THE FASTEST move in VF4. dunno how true is that but it looks pretty fast though doesn't seem as fast as her offensive stance p.

9. Mr. Bungle

> I think it might be worthwhile to use the chop-kick into flamingo stance

Actually, the Daily VF mC listing show one other mC tool that Sarah has, but I can't figure out what it is. Both translators show it as "setup" or "combo setup". It might be a move that goes into FL, but I have no idea which one. Is the df+P,K a true combo or can the K be blocked? Any ideas? Anyone?

10. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Maybe they mean that the [defensive]df+P is the fastest NON-high punch in the game <shrug>

11. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

The kick is guaranteed if the chop hits. The chop does 12 pts base damage like the elbow, so the hit opponent is still in hit stun when the kick connects, just like the elbow-knee or elbow-chop combos. They might be refering to the b+K switch kick. I've used it as a minor counter tool to get into flamingo, but I've since found that the b+K is reversed mid-level... I guess it's still good against characters that cannot reverse mid-level kicks. b+P+K is too slow, and is better used as a long range approaching attack say after a whiffed rising attack etc. The sabaki nature of the P+K however makes it a good choice too, however, as it will force its way thru punches/elbows and high/side kicks making up for its slower execution time.

"Combo setup" might be referring to just the df+P,K or it could mean all of the flamingo starters (except the b+P+K) are usuable in the given situation.

Adio or Vansen, can you think of anything else that "combo setup" could mean after looking at Rich's counter list?

12. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Aoi/Pai/Sarah share the fastest jab?

If I can remember correctly from your counters list Sarah is the ONLY character that can jab Akira after the Shrm, Pai and Aoi only have high throw as a counter. That surely means Sarah has the fastest jab in the game, no?

13. Mr. Bungle

I probably just screwed up. I'll look it over and fix it. But Aoi/Pai/Sarah definitely share the fastest punch.