1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4:EVO Tourney at TiT5(Dallas TX), 3/22/2003

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Oni-Kage, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

More tourney info

Ok I just got word that the emphasis on the tourney will be the biggest venues first, then so on until the smallest venues.

So, whatever tourneys have the biggest signups will go first, etc. However, since we are having an Iron Man, we will most likely start that immediately and separate of the main venues so that we have our brackets ready by the main double elim.

PS Mouse--that's good to hear! Power to the 4x4s!

2. BenjaminHaining

BenjaminHaining New Member

Re: More tourney info

Is the Iron Man going to be happening at the same time as the other events? If so, are we required to participate? Because I planned on playing a few of the other games as well.

3. BenjaminHaining

BenjaminHaining New Member

Oh yeah, and good news, ModestMouse. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck, and see you all in Texas.

4. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

ok Socal team is on the way now...see you guys in 24 hrs

5. Oni-Kage

THe iron man may be run during the others, but if a lot of people are playing both games then we can put it off... time permitting.

6. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

WORD! we're leaving for Texas this morning, if anyone wants to get in touch with Team Hydra I recommend you call MY cell #4077093443. I hope to see you all there! =)
    Modest, we still on for our $100 cock match? =) You'll have to let me know once we're there. Later PEEPS!!

Spotlight swallows!

7. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

i heard the winners are:

1. namflow (NYC) 2. imf. (fl) 3. spotlite (L.A)

omg hehehe

8. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey all,

Super G checking in here from a .25 cents per minute terminal at DFW airport...

Sudden Death has it right, with me coming in fourth place /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif The tournament was intense, hope we get some videos up from the guys who taped it soon... If anyone needs a place to host the videos let me know...

And I'm not sure if Sudden Death got his facts mixed up, but Namflow and I goto school in Rochester, NY and live in Southern New Jersey.... Vulcan was the only one from NYC to show up...

That's all for now,

-Alex

9. Akira_Zero

Akira_Zero Well-Known Member

Namflow, congrats for the win!! Very nice. Also, props to Super for fourth. Looks like Jersey was represented well in the tourney even though there's so few of us. Wish I could have gone but I had no money. Anyway, how many people participated in the VF tourney?

10. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth

Interesting results. Good job Namflow. I left after Spotlite eliminated me so I didn't see what went down after that, but there was only like 4 guys left so I thought IMF had it in the bag for sure. He seemed like the most well balanced player there from what I could tell.

But Junosynth and Blonde_One got the shaft that day because Blonde_One had to face IMF pretty early, causing Blonde_One to go to the losers bracket, and me and Junosynth had to go against each other early too in the losers bracket, causing him to get eliminated. It's the luck of the draw I know, but it still sucks to have to play and eliminate your teammate. Someone who could have gone all the way if only they didn't have to face you.

But if there's one thing I learned from this tourney is that we all got major weaknesses we got to work on. That day, mine was against Akira since Spotlite and Dre were getting me with multiple setups and throws. Stuff I got almost zero experience against since I don't have an Akira player here to practice against. Blonde_One and IMF need work against Lion and probably Wolf. I'm betting they don't have much practice against those two characters. Junosynth needs work against Jacky for the same reasons as everyone else.

Oh, around 32 people entered.

11. Oni-Kage

It was fun!

Thanks to everyone for coming out and participating... I know I learned quite a bit and have an even deeper love for VF now. In fact, I'm ready to just drop Tekken entirely for VF now. It just seems so terribly scrubby in comparison.

Props to the top placers for sure.

Namflow your Shun is awesome and I picked up a few tricks from watching you... I also realized how much I tend to forget things during tourneys... must be the pressure.

IMF-- Your Kage is also great. I was going to stop playing him since he feels so odd to me in Evo, but I may start playing seriously again. Kickass Akira too!

Blonde_One-- Sick Jacky. That's all I can really say. I spent half the time in stagger, half the time in the air. I wish we had serious Jacky players here so I could learn those setups. WTG!

Jedi and Big Boy-- Very much liked your Lau's... the stagger to the throw setup is a classic and I need to learn it or die trying /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jedi, thanks alot for helping out with the brackets... we're definately thinking about the trip to your tourney in the fall.

Spotlite-- Thanks for the book and DVD... I'm still watching the replays on evo but if they're anywhere as good it'll be worth it.

Talis and Catherine-- MAJOR props on helping with the tourney... and sorry for not taking more charge during the event. It was my first "official" tourney so I'm sure it could have been run better had I been more organized. Also, I wanna apologize for not having more prizes for people, but I wasn't able to pull together any extras like shirts or posters or anything. I heard you can call Sega directly and they can ship a tourney package for a decent prize. I will definately do that next time (there will be a next time!).

Speaking of next time... my apartments has a large gameroom that we use frequently here for gatherings. Big screen TV and sound system, comfortable couches and chairs, full range kitchen, grill, pool, pool table, etc. I'm thinking it would make for a great site for a future tourney...

Anyways, I hope everyone had fun despite the plethora of obstacles involved, and that we can get together again soon and throw down. Now... off to go learn Goh... lol

12. Sudden_Death

"but Namflow and I goto school in Rochester, NY and live in Southern New Jersey.... "

same thing man hehe /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Funny, last I checked NYC and Southern NJ were in two different states...and Rochester is "too far" according to you NYC VFers from not too long ago...

/riding-coat-tails ain't cool, Pic. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    cheers,

14. Sudden_Death

o
    k........

w
    t
    f

hmm ppl just dont get it.....

how many smilies does it take? nm

15. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

I guess I will be the 1st to post from SOcal

Here are some of the things that I take away from the tourney.... First the bad part and then what I liked best.

BAD.
    6.) 22 hour dirve
    5.) NO CHAIRS
    4.) somewhat unorganized tournament
    3.) Spotlite playing 4 times in a row. Seems like a conspiracy toward the socal group /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif jk
    2.) People playing other games during tourney and therefore waiting for them so that the tourney can continue.
    1.)Helping run a tournament when we are supposed to be guests. I'm not speaking for the whole socal group that drove 22HOURS to get there. But Cosmic you definetly should have been around more often. There were many times people were asking where you were. No one knew so it kind of made Talis and Catherine do most of the work. , but big props to Jedi doing his part. For me... I got quickly annoyed and it sort of ruined my time while there. I just ask next time to be more involved especially if your the person inviting people from other states to come play. No one from other states should have to worry about tourney brackets.

GOOD.
    5.) Getting to Texas then back home
    4.) meeting everyone
    3.) Pretty good matches all around
    2.) I seem to have a new cross country rivalry with Jedi. In which I hope will continue some day /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif You shall feel my wrath!
    1.) The dinner afterwards. It was cool to talk to everyone outside of the VF world. Even though VF came up alot. It was the best time I had during the whole trip. Some great stories being thrown around.

In closing I hope to see you guys again. Hope you can come over to Cali and see how a real VF ONLY tournament should be run. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Brian w/"I"

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    California van has made it home

1400 miles one way is a LONG fucking drive.

It was all quite worth it, however... here are some quick comments

IMF: most incredible Akira playing I've ever seen. All the time you and Florida crew spend practicing was most evident in the tournament. If you missed a combo, I don't remember it. Fuzzy guard and snake dash, incredible. Famous last words "I don't know how to fight Shun."

Namflow: I would expound more if I knew more about Shun. Monster pad skills prevail, not to mention an understanding of the game in general. You beat IMF in the tournament - that wasn't an accident. Very cool, indeed.

Spotlite: Dude, when you said "fucking nice defense," or something close to that, after watching IMF - I figured you knew what you were up against. I've never seen you play with such intensity.. multiple P, K, G fakes into SDE or throw. Your comment at the end "I had to attack him differently every single time or he'd figure out what was coming next," totally illustrated your fight.

I don't know enough about other people's characters (Lion, Jacky, Kage, etc.) to comment on gameplay.

Thank you for the props, Cosmic Forge. Most appreciated. Just to let everyone know, I volunteered that Catherine and I could help, we were not recruited. I'm glad we got things started off properly, and that we were able to change things on the fly... If we'd done the full Iron Man, we'd still be finishing up the double elimination. Thanks for your patience.

I must give Jedi huge thanks for finishing the brackets. You were totally in your element there. Just in case anyone is unsure, Jedi IS a badass. No question there. Very cool, indeed.

Thank you to the TiT crew for having VF4evo as part of your event. We had 31 people in the VF tourney. That's the biggest I've been too. Your support made this happen.

I want to do this again next year. But I think we'll save for plane tickets rather than pull another cross country voyage in the Voyager.

P.S. I left my cellphone in Texas (Alfredo's restaurant). Anyone still there to pick it up? PM me if you find it.

17. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Re: California van has made it home

Hey all - Super and I just got back from Texas and man it was intense. I don't think I've seen such a large, varied group of VF players all gathered in one place.

Those matches with IMF in the finals were, without question, the most intense matches of VF I've ever played. Thinking back on them I still get nervous, it was really really close. His defense is off the charts, as well as his ability to stay cool in tough situations and stick to his game. He's also good at busting out sick Akira combos that eat half of my life when I dodge the wrong way. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Those semi matches with IMF and Spotlite were really hot too. As Plague said, all those g cancels into this or that to try and throw off IMF's superb fuzzy guarding skills were hot.

I was also really impressed with modestmouse and junosynth. They were a force at the tourney and will be at future outings.

The crew from Baton Rogue was hillarious, as was Jedi.

Thanks to all who congratulated me on the win. Shout outs to everyone who I met but didn't mention cause I met a ton of people. Props to everyone who flew out to the tournament and didn't let the war or terrorists scare you or stand in your way of VF. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll post pics up in a bit... That's about all.

Oh yea, to anyone who has footage - if you need a place to host it PM either me or Super, and if you have footage but can't digitize it let us know cause we got good video capturing/editing stations here at school. Later all

18. Oni-Kage

Re: I guess I will be the 1st to post from SOcal

[ QUOTE ]
    Brisal73 said:

Here are some of the things that I take away from the tourney.... First the bad part and then what I liked best.

BAD.
    6.) 22 hour dirve
    5.) NO CHAIRS
    4.) somewhat unorganized tournament
    3.) Spotlite playing 4 times in a row. Seems like a conspiracy toward the socal group /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif jk
    2.) People playing other games during tourney and therefore waiting for them so that the tourney can continue.
    1.)Helping run a tournament when we are supposed to be guests. I'm not speaking for the whole socal group that drove 22HOURS to get there. But Cosmic you definetly should have been around more often. There were many times people were asking where you were. No one knew so it kind of made Talis and Catherine do most of the work. , but big props to Jedi doing his part. For me... I got quickly annoyed and it sort of ruined my time while there. I just ask next time to be more involved especially if your the person inviting people from other states to come play. No one from other states should have to worry about tourney brackets.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well Brian, I'm sorry it wasn't as organized as you wanted. It was afterall my first tourney, AND I was enlisted in 2 other games as well. At the time, I still was competitive in the other games, and wasn't going to waste an opportunity(which comes around once a year here) to compete in those games. Please understand that Texas is very much a "namco" state... Tekken and SC are the games of choice here, we technically were guests there. They could have told us "no vf" and there would have been no tourney at all. I also had to eat, as well as keep track of people who were competing in multiple games, so I was running back in forth quite a bit. I'm sorry if I wasn't the perfect host, and assure you that next time (if there is one), the tourney will be VF only, so that it will have my (not our) undivided attention.

Again I must reiterate that I was very much not in control of most aspects of the tourney. Many examples include: lack of chairs, limitation to two TVs, time constraints, severe lack of space, poor overall setup, and exposure to the elements (two from our crew were ill due to the weather). Next time though, I WILL be in control, and VF will be 100% of our focus.

Again, I wish to thank Talis, Catherine, Jedi, and even you Brian, for helping run the tourney while I couldn't. Hopefully I can do better next time.

19. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Re: I guess I will be the 1st to post from SOcal

congrats to the top three. Especially imf. Way to represent team hydra. I wish I could have been there.

Modestmouse.. imf and blonde one both play wolf and both play against me, jedi and the dude's lion.

Dre made it to tit.. did Cappo make it? Ghostdog?

20. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Tournament & more thoughts

Hey all,

Rich and I are back in Rochester... Glad to hear socal made it back after their long drive... 20+ hours in the car - that's hardcore!

First big thanks to everyone who showed up, and to Cosmic, Plague, Catherine and Jedi and everyone else who helped run the tournament... It was a bit hetic in there - Nicklemania was loud, crowded and hot... it had lots of atmosphere though...

Friday night we had a small mini gathering at Cosmic Forge's hotel room... thanks for the Baton Rouge guys for driving us around! It was them, Rich and myself and team hydra all crammed into a minivan driving around Dallas...

Now for some commentary on the tournament for those who wern't there... We staretd doing a round robin for seeding, but realized that it would take too long, and in what was a smart move decided to do random seeding... I played Jacky throughout the tourney - IMF's Kage sent me to the losers bracket and Spotlite's Akira took me out of the tournament...

Namflow was playing as Lion and beat Spotlite in a quarter final match in the winners bracket... so it was IMF vs Namflow in the semis, 3/5 matches... IMF's Kage took out Namflow's Shun (yeah he decided to switch it up) in the first two matches... Nammy stuck with Shun, and came back three straight to win the semis by the skin of his teeth... IMF's Kage is as strong as they come, though after losing two matches in the semis Rich stuck to his guns with Shun... I've played his Shun more than anyone, and noticed he came up with some flowcharts that were being effective that I've never seen him use before... He experimented and found some attacks useful that he never used greatly against me (like shuns jumping roundhouse kick)... He played very well and really turned it up a notch during those final matches...

When they met again for the finals of the whole tournament, IMF took a loss as Kage and then decided to try Akira on for size... He beat Namflow in one 4/7 series, but needed to do so twice to win because Namflow was undefeated so far... Although Namflow took a beating at first to Akira, he gradually came to hold his own and pull it out for the win.. . The final matches were hard fought - even some Tekken players were watching and noticed how intense it was...

After the tournament we all got food at some pizza place, it was quiet and cool - a welcome change in atmosphere from the tournament... It was great to get to talk/know each other a little bit more, and eat and sit down because we were all tired of standing and hungry...

Some other notes:
    Spotlite was dead on about IMF's defense... It is like a brick wall... Combine that with all his matches against Blondie, and my Jacky can't touch him... And not just against Jacky too, his fuzzy guarding in general is really tight...

Although I can't put my finger exactly on it, Spotlite plays a different style than some of us here on the east coast... Perhaps a bit more offensive (west coasters are known for that in other fighting games /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif) , but not so much to the point where he'll unneccsarily leave himself open to attacks... I also couldn't write here just how strong his Goh is... Has to be seen to be believed..

Colorado (modestmouse & junosynth) competed and
    did very well for themselves... You might think it's easy to discount someone whose not from a big city or well known crew, but you couldn't take either of them lightly... I'm not sure if they actually went through with the bet with Blondie, but it wouldn't have been a walk in the park for him as some here speculated it would...

The Baton Rogue crew are a hilarious bunch of guys, and are really into the VF... Big Boy's Lau did very well in the tournament... I'm glad they made it, and were very generous and driving us all around...

Again it was crazy fun guys... Thanks a lot to everyone coming out... It was great to meet all these new faces, to see Team Hydra again, and to have Vulcan come down from NYC so Namflow and I werent the only people from the North East there /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh yeah you left your PS controller extension cable in our room, I can mail it to you or drop it off next time we are in Chinatown...

can't wait for the next tournament... time to get back to homework and studying I neglected during the weekend...

Later all,

-Alex