1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4:EVO Tourney at TiT5(Dallas TX), 3/22/2003

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Oni-Kage, Feb 14, 2003.

1. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

Re: I guess I will be the 1st to post from SOcal

some quick TiT impressions.
    Before we went there I joked about not having chairs sadly that was true. Another thing was that I wish there was better cooperation from some players, running around fetching people was not fun especially when I dont know what you look like.

Ok that was my short list of gripes.

Other than that great tournament. Really nice turnout, great mix of characters and personalities, and it seems like we got some tekken people looking the other way. I think the only character missing from the tournament was brad.

Impressions of players.
    East coast in general concentrates on a lot of defense and waiting game. Socal runs on a lot of offense.

ModestMouse was definately the surprise of the tournament. No one knew or heard of anything from Colorado prior to the tournament. Mouse caused quite a bit of upsets. Solid throw timing mixed with a variety of throws made and TE's off him really hard.

BlondeOne has an insanely fast Jacky. Now i can see why people can say Zzangmu has a 10-string jacky. Lots of good spacing games. The only weakness I saw in his game was using the [6][4][P][G] throw too much.

IMF is the fuzzy guarding king. He just sits there like a rock patiently and doesnt let you screw up. SoCal needs to find a way around the fuzzy guard. =P

Namflow, all I can say is that he is the Napoleon of Shuns. I didnt think it was possible with shuns variety of moves. But there it was crude yet extremely effective.

Jedi Fei may of lost the tournament, but he wins at the "game of life". Great comedy run at the resteraunt btw, you even made spotlite laugh, which we hardly ever see.

Speaking of cross nation rivalries, brian made one with jedi, and i guess i made one with Yakinihku or i think thats how you spell it.

Well good games from everyone, hope to see all you guys again at the next tournament with some stronger competition.

2. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Tournament Bracket

One last thing, thanks to phoenixdth I've hosted a pic of the tournament bracket....

Alex G being me, and Richard G being Namflow...

Click here for the goods...

-Alex

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Sup.

Words can't describe how awesome it was to finally meet everyone in person. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif Now, on to the shout outs.....

First of all, BIG thanks to CosmicForge for getting this whole thing started.

SoCal crew:
    I can't believe you guys drove 22 hours!! /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Anyway, it was great meeting Spotlite, Plague, and everyone else (I'm bad with names), and it's obvious that you guys have practiced your stuff. Great matches. I hope we can meet again soon. Thanks to Plague and Catherine for helping out with the tournament. Although I wish we could have continued with the "Iron-Man", I can understand why we had to move things along.

Baton Rouge crew:
    Sanjuro, Big Boy, (and the guy who plays Vanessa. I'm sorry I forgot his name.) you guys are the best. My matches against you were probably the most fun of all. You played great and represented your state to the fullest.

Colorado crew:
    Modestmouse's Lion played mad okizime all day long!! /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif It was great to finally meet you guys. Excellent matches.

Finally, congratulations to Namflow and IMF for entertaining us with some intense matches in the finals. I hope we got everything on tape. Super-G, we shall meet again. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. I know I'm leaving out a few people's names, but I can't remember, so I apologize. Everyone I met was cool though. It's all good. Laterz!!!

4. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    stompoutloud said:

congrats to the top three. Especially imf. Way to represent team hydra. I wish I could have been there.

Modestmouse.. imf and blonde one both play wolf and both play against me, jedi and the dude's lion.

Dre made it to tit.. did Cappo make it? Ghostdog?

[/ QUOTE ]

No stomp! I couldn't make it to TiT5! /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Maybe i'll make a grand entrace at MoaT! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pai-Akira all teh way baby! You better watch yoself !

5. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

I forgot to say congrats to Namflow.... good job and I am amazed by your pad play. I will never diss pad players again. Brian w/ "I"

6. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Brisal73 said:

I forgot to say congrats to Namflow.... good job and I am amazed by your pad play. I will never diss pad players again. Brian w/ "I"

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, I try my best. Pad power! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Robo

Robo Member

yea

8. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Namflow said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Brisal73 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, I try my best. Pad power! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Rich, next time you come down to CTF. You have to show me your pad skillz too. I'll setup the EVO at work and we can get it on. I just hope no one is left at work when you come down for the weekend. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Junosynth

Junosynth Well-Known Member

TiT5 Aftermath

Modest and I just got back from Tex. So I’ll give my 2 cents right now. First of all the venue there was kind of lame. We were packed like sardines so it was real crowded and the setup in general was kind of bad. Example-A lot of the TV’s they had for the games was like 12 inches from you so it was kind of hard to play. But anyway it was fun meeting all you guys from all over, Florida, CA, TX, etc... Sorry we didn't get to stay with you guys afterwards and play but my friend who was my ride needed to go home early. Also congrats to Namflow, IMF and Spotlite. Namflow and SuperG, you two guys are a prime example of how using a controller can help discipline you in your game. Sometimes us joystick users forget about our defensive game and like to dance around, like in my case. I definitely didn’t prepare mentally for this tourney so my defensive game sucked that day. I really don't like to make excuses though. Well anyway Modest and I will definitely try to make the MOAT tourney. Hopefully we can get a team tourney there!!! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

10. Dom

Dom Member

Re: TiT5 Aftermath

Yeah, sorry the place sucked so bad /versus/images/graemlins/crazy.gif , we honestly didn't think THAT many people was gonna show up for Tekken. It was 148 people in Tekken 4 and about 110 in Tekken Tag. Honestly we didn't plan for over 120 people, I guess we'll think bigger next time. Congraduations to the winners, it was some good shit that I seen, I now know whut I need to do to get better at this game. I really do appologize for the inconvienience and how packed everybody was. I know at Extranvangza 8 they will have room for everything, they always do!

11. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Re: Tournament & more thoughts

Oh, the bet was cancelled by me since I didn't have a ride to make it to the FL crews hotel room the next day . We originally had planned to do it after the tourney, but as soon as I got eliminated I saw my buddies who gave me a ride heading for the door to leave, so I had to take off with them. Sorry to everyone who was looking forward to it. It definitely would have been a good match to see and play. We can just transfer our bet for next time we meet FL, and I'll be sure to do it before the tourney this time.

And sorry me and junosynth didn't get to hang out and play more games afterwards with everyone. I think I played IMF once that day, Blonde_One twice, Dre a few times, Spotlite a few times, and Namflow and Super G once or twice. Didn't even get to play Jedi, ED209, Dom, Cosmic_Forge (I think), Catherine, and a whole bunch of other people I would have liked to before heading back home. Definitely next time, maybe in Toronto.

Blonde_One - Good games dude. We definitely need to do it again. I got lucky that day and I know you weren't playing at the top of your game. It takes awhile to feel out someone new, and that's a luxury we didn't have before the tourney. Still, great to finally play you and I'm sure next time I won't be as lucky.

IMF - I only played you once, right before the tourney started, but it was still cool to see your Kage in action. Been watching you play in vids so I knew your defense was going to be hella tight to get through, and it most definitely was. We both had zero life left and I did a stupid low hit ([3] + [P]+[G]+[K], [P]+[K]) when I should have gone for that dodge then elbow, and you punished me for that mistake. Errrrr. But it was fun and you know it. Till next time.

Jedi - Didn't play you but great job helping out with the tournament. We'll play next time.

Dre - You learn pretty quickly. The setups you were falling for our first few games, you didn't even fall for again our last few games. Great Akira and good games bro. Looking forward to playing you again.

Spotlite - What can I say? You sent me to the losers bracket, then eliminated me later from the losers bracket. That sucked. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great to play one of the best Akira's in America, and I'll definitely practice up against Akira for the next time I play. I want a rematch. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Namflow - Way to win, and on a pad no less. Played you once before the tourney and it was pretty close, with you winning. I got to practice playing against my own character. I'll go work on that.

Super G - Played you once too before the tourney, and that was close as well. For some reason, you seem to time your hits exactly when I begin to do certain moves or setups, and you punished me quite a few times like that. Like I'd eat a beat knuckle combo, yet you didn't beat knuckle as a counter, you beat knuckled right when I did my move, stuffing mine. That was pretty frustrating. /versus/images/graemlins/cool.gif But good games and way to use a pad so well.

To everyone else I didn't mention, good games playing all of you.

12. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Tournament & more thoughts

Hey Modest,

Your Lion is definatley a force... You know how to dish it out with him, and I was impressed with your poke/throwing game and punishing me when I tech rolled... let me know at the beginning when we were fighting that you meant business... how many people play in co?

Also, as far as the tournament being noisy and crowded goes, it's true, but I don't think it was all that bad... I've been to a couple tournaments, and this wasn't any worse than the others...

-Alex

13. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Re: Tournament & more thoughts

All my practice is against junosynth since hardly anyone plays here in CO. But we do got like 4 or 5 players here, with most of them playing casually. We all live so far apart from each other so it's hard to get some VF games in with everyone here.

But thanks for the compliments. I gots to work on my defense since I was all offense that day, which worked for some players, but not for others. Hopefully, I'll do better next time.

14. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Pics

Hey all I've got a few pics from TiT for your viewing pleasure...

[​IMG]
    Blondie playing against Big Boy Friday night at a small gathering.

[​IMG]
    It was really crowded at Nickle Mania /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[​IMG]
    Blondie and IMF before their match

[​IMG]
    Blondie's game face /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[​IMG]
    Namflow and IMF in the finals

[​IMG]
    Namflow & his custom built, perfect 360 degrees control pad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All of us at dinner after the tourney.

15. Robo

Robo Member

Re: Pics

who is the guy filming the last match??
    Damn hes a sexy Beesh... /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

16. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Robo said:

who is the guy filming the last match??
    Damn hes a sexy Beesh... /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Robo! A no-throw-escaping scrub! What do I win??

Woot!

17. Robo

Robo Member

ill show you friday, with my rape set ups i got

18. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

After coming back from TiT a day late due to a missed flight and and non existent tourny finish It would be easy for me to not put up my impressions and shoutouts due to the fact the all the negative would overweigh the positive and writing this post would be a mistake. On the contrary! TiT was fun, I think I actually had more fun outside the tourney than actually playing in it. The gatherings were hella fun and getting to meet the West Coast guys was definitely a treat.

Nam: Congrats on the win. =)

Spotlite: Didn't get to play you but had a blast watching you play in the tournament. And you don't swallow =P.

Everyone else: good games! it's late and I'm out.

19. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

Blonde_one's game face...

One of the guys at the office summed it up very well...

"It looks like he can shut down all unnecessary motor functions (like holding his face together), and concentrate all his energy on game play."

20. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

Lol, thats a good explanation. How about we try to guess what was going through his mind at the time?

"OMG! I just saw Jacky's nipple! Nooooo!! (I'm scarred for life!)"

Ok now let's try to guess what I was thinking... hmmm....