1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Aoi Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

It floats, but you can only get a [2_][K] in if memory serves, unless you're really close.

Aoi really isn't much of a floater -- she's more on crumbles. I'd say [6][K] is definitely the best floater.

2. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

so her [K] is next to useless now...
    And her [6][K] is still her best floater
    True she's more of a crumble character, but a decent floater move is always appreciated

3. GaijinPunch

[3][P] floats on counter, but it's so damn slow, and does nothing when ducked & blocked.

4. lau_fists

lau_fists Well-Known Member

Isn't [6][6] [P]+[K] a floater for Aoi? Unless this move is looked down upon, but it doesn't seem that slow...

5. GaijinPunch

Yes, but if you read some previous posts on this thread, you'll notice that you can't get much else in w/o the wall -- so I wouldn't really call it a floater.

6. lau_fists

I guess I'm thinking any move that lofts them, but I was also thinking far better Aoi players would be fast enough to do maybe PPPK; glad to know that I'm not missing GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES there.

7. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

f,f+P+K stuff

f,f+P+K isn't the best floater in the world, but you can get a little more damage from an interrupt with it.

from the combo faq I'm working on - these should be the best combos aoi can get after f,f+P+K:

f,f+P+K followups:
    LW>> F+P, f+K,K [70 pts.]
    note: This combo works up to the lightest MW's, only in closed stance on some. Versus lightweights, you can make use of the oddity in damage scaling that allows you to get more damage when hitting someone who is low to the ground (at a very specific height). After the punch in the middle of the combo, do f+K,K right away (in closed stance) and you get 67 pts of damage. Delay the f+K,K a hair and hit the enemy low to the ground, and it becomes 70.
    MW>> F+K,K -> d/f+P (ground attack) (closed stance) [66 pts]
    That's a normal K,K combo done while holding forward. I just do the forward part as a habit, it definitely helps with punches.
    MW>> d+P -> D/F+P [55 pts.]
    HW>> F+P -> F+K,K, d/f+P (ground punch) (closed stance) [69 pts.]
    HW>> FC, D/F+P (open stance) [44 pts.]

correction: Thanks to baobab for this one. In open stance, aoi CAN do f,f+P+K, PPPK. But the counterhit needs to happen from mid to long range. Up close, punches will whiff. By the same token, aoi can also do f+K,K, which brings us up to 66 points.

8. lau_fists

Re: f,f+P+K stuff

That is interesting, damage-scaling depending on where the opp. is during the fall.

I'm not in agreement with folks who think Aoi is too strong as she is, even with the throws and the reversals; I mean, sure she can reverse almost everything now, but lacking at least a couple of dependable float moves w/out counter cetainly removes her from a status where most new VF players can pick her up faster, increasing her popularity. She'll never be Jacky or Lau popular, I realize, but like Shun she's considered difficult to win with, and because of that she's not used as widely, and because of that the useful information on how to use Aoi and Shun is lessened, obviously. I mean, if not for GaijinPunch and other Aoi players posting about her and getting me interested, I'd probably have never picked her up, my female-protagonist bias in full bloom. Perhaps with the ability to do air damage, maybe Aoi wouldn't SEEM as underpowered.

9. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

What's going on here? I thought they changed [6][6][P]+[K] in EVO?? or is [6][6][P]+[K] , [P] just an additional hit on the old move from version C?

Oh yeah and by the way the floor Throw is possible after the [6][6][P]+[K] combo , up to Lau if I remembr correctly.......

10. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

what floor (ground) throw combo is possible after f,f+P+K? you mean after K,K slams them into the ground?

Also, the move is probably different in EVO, I only posted this here because somebody earlier gave me a good excuse, and I have been working on perfect combos for aoi and the others.

11. GaijinPunch

[6][6][P]+[K] is different motion -- [6][6][P]+[K][P] is a new combo -- technically speaking. It's got better reach than the Ver. C move. There's no ground throw guaranteed after it w/o the wall.

You can get a ground throw in after [2_][6][P]+[G], [3][3][P]+[G], and any of the crumbles, but why would you want to? I think one of the throw-combo's guarantees a ground throw now, but it's generally easy to escape before then.

12. lau_fists

So it's better to attack the riser rising rather than go for the ground-throw
    after something like f, f P+K? I mean, the ground-throw gets escaped too
    often for it to be viable? I find I rarely connect on ground-throws as it is...though
    they're safer seemingly...I'm too in love with Aoi's up-P down attack, which
    nobody lies around waiting for. But it sure is the sweetest-looking thing.

13. GaijinPunch

Ground throws aren't that escapable. If you know it's coming, you've got a 50/50 chance to get out of it. I generally go for them, but some people are good at anticipating which direction to throw, and et out of them a lot.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

which direction to throw? eh? don't get that. Did you mean which direction to roll? Rolling in any direction gets out of it... but anyway, yeah, it's not just a good gamble, it's actually guaranteed in some cases. I'm basing this on my experiences ground-throwing the PS2, which rolls out of ANYthing it possibly can. I made sure to try ground throw combos vs. siderolls and backrolls both to be sure. The trick is to float 'em, do a K,K slam, buffer a f,f to dash, then immmeeedddiately ground throw after dashing only a millimeter. That's vs the computer. vs a human you might be able to be a little more lazy. I'd say you can't afford to let more than 6 frames of 'dash time' go by before the ground throw is no longer guaranteed.

15. GaijinPunch

Sorry if I mislead you. Aoi has two throws which have guaranteed ground throws as follow ups. They are:

[2_][6][P]+[G] & [3][3][P]+[G]
    Of course, there's also the wall.

The ground throw in Evo is either:
    [3][P]+[G] or [2][P]+[G] but you only get to enter one to escape with. Hence, the 50/50. Rolling out of the aforementioned throws will get you nowhere.

Wolf, Jeffry, and Goh have the same properties I believe, but Goh has the most painful ground throws... or so it seems.

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

oh I was talking about C, nuuurr, shoulda figured it out.

17. GaijinPunch

Yeah, I could see how the thread title could be misleading, as Evolution is written right there in English. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

If I ever meet you I'm gonna get a first dan card, a second dan card, a third dan card, a fourth dan card... all the way up to teioh... and all aoi. And use them all against you until you're in the kyuu's then plant them in your wallet and proclaim to the whole arcade that you're a ringer /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

19. GaijinPunch

Good luck.... first you've got to get here, and from your crib, I think the only route is hitching a ride on a lobsters back! Hehe.

I actually did no a guy from Maine when I lived in Shizuoka on an exchange trip -- the first place he'd ever been after leaving Maine was Tokyo. Could imagine the culture shock?

20. grynn

grynn Well-Known Member

Hey GP,

I finally got the chance to play EVO this week end and Aoi of course /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

I was wondering about Aoi's new push throw, I believe the command is [P]+[G] then a direction.
    Is that the correct command?
    Is anything guaranteed after these pushes?

I also wanted to know if the ground throw was guaranteed after the back throw in EVO, seemed to me that the character stayed a bit longer before rising up but I am not sure.