1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Kage Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

I actually beat a pretty decent Kage yesterday. He was 4-dan (I'm only up to 2-dan)

Anyways, I've always thought Kage's items were kewl, but besides the thing that hangs from his helmet (forgot what it's called) and his hair (and of course the giant sword nobody equips b/c they don't want to get it stolen) I've found the other items to be a bit subtle. Not anymore.

Yesterday, this 2P Kage had on a nice pair of Gundam Shinguards. I don't know what else to call them. They seemed metal, and were *HUGE*!!! He could've fit about 3 of his legs in there... er... 3 other legs. I'm not concerned about his middle leg.

2. LeoT

LeoT Well-Known Member

Kage new EVO tactics by observation from field plays:

- [K]+[G][P][P] (Mid, Up, Mid): almost 100% hit rate; The weakness is, It could be countered by a Low move in 3rd hit if blocked on due course. I've seen it at lease once.

- During close combat, shift to "Jiumonja" stance then [P][K]. Very effective.

3. Hamme

Hamme Well-Known Member

It's good to hear you got a job; i know the HK is on a down turn in employment, so you're very lucky. I do wonder, what's your secret of obtaining one so quickly?

Your inputs on this board is invalueble to all of us waiting for evo. I wonder if you have vf4 for ps2? If so do you play any kage? I would like to know more of his new changes from vf4c to evo.

4. GaijinPunch

If that's the combo I'm thinking of, it's followed up with [2][P]+[K][K]. Hurts!

5. LeoT

LeoT Well-Known Member

HammerHead,:

You really know HK. Here, the situation is the worst in these 15 years, beyond imagination. I'm working in IT as a salesperson. Meanwhile many of my ex-colleagues are still jobless (for over 3 months). U know, open application for a job is as difficult as winning a lottery, imagine a late-30 guy like me. Therefore, the only secret is "human networking".

Since I was so busy with the daily life, I don't bother to play console games so much other than PC games. Thus I don't have a PS2. Actually, its TK3 I played the most. Even though VF4 is my favorite, it's not easy to find an equivalent opponent here unless you dedicate yourself to the arcade community.

The contribution to this board is so incidental coz my wife and daughter has flied back to NZ for these 2 weeks, thus I've spare time to surf the net in the whole nite.

You VF fans are happier than ever because of Internet. Having members like GaijiPunch are like having a reporter in Japan. That definitely brings the virtual community together and reduce the gap of understanding between Asian fans and Western fans. Internet is so great!

6. Hamme

Hamme Well-Known Member

LeoT:
    Yeah, I have been keeping track of HK. It's so bad. Well, I'm happy for both you and your family. There's always light at the end of a dark tunnel, eh.

Also, I hope you'll be staying with us for a long time. You and Gaijinpunch's contributions are invaluable to this site's development.

You don't have to shell out cash for ps2 when there's no competition at home. Maybe if you'll have son in the future, that's different story. The way I see it, arcade's cheaper if you don't play a lot.

I go back to TK3 sometimes. But, I more I look at TK4, the more I see a VF rip-off. I'll stop my rambling here as I feel some heat. I should say that they are different games.

7. LeoT

LeoT Well-Known Member

Let me continue my rambings here. At least once.

Yes, TK4 is really a failure to Namco. Not to mention its slow/unimproved game engine. I think that the engine design TK has been to its limit. It lacks interaction and tension as VF.

From business perspective, if you know the arcade revenue between VF4 and TK4, you'll know why. (Over 10 to 1).

Now that you see the true power of AM2. AM2 is just genious (since the days of Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Virtua Cop, Virtua On) VF4 is now proven how easy for them to adopt TK strength no matter in motion capture, stance-based gameplay and char design into VF world. On the other hand, TK4 has not been improved much in terms of gameplay as VF. It's just the tweaks of command moves. And badly, it's much slower than TK3. My opinion is, from TK4 onwards, TK series is loosing its edge over VF previously proud of!

The only thing left for TK is their aesthetics in graphics and storybuilding. However, in terms of aesthetics, DOA3 has just made it a sliding victory.

8. LeoT

LeoT Well-Known Member

I discover that there is a strong Kage player who often scores by using the following moves in the distance:

- [6][6][K], while the opponent down, then [7][K] , gurantee hit

9. GaijinPunch

WEll said. I've always been amazed w/ AM2 since the Daytona USA days. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif In terms of Arcade fighters, I see what you mean about TK4. I never really even looked at TK2 or TK3, so I'm obviously biased.

The one other thing I would like to say (or ask really) is, does anyone really care about the story? It's a fighting game! DOA3 has silly stories, and the only thing good about them is you get to see some more panties or gravity-defying breasts for a few seconds. Don't get me wrong, it's kewl, but such a thing would never persuade me to buy or not buy a fighting game. Hence, I've never understood the TK4-fan claim that "the VF4 story sucks!". Well, Episode I TPM's story sucked too, but everyone went and saw it!".

10. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Hi

Is there an evo Kage move list around? And anymore info on his new punch floater?

cheers

mo

11. LeoT

LeoT Well-Known Member

New Moves
    [2_][3][P] - Mid
    [K]+[G] - Mid
    [K]+[G][P] - (Mid, Up)
    [K]+[G][P][P] - (Mid, Up, Mid)
    [K]+[G] (While rolling forward/backward) - Mid, Charge attack, [G] cancel
    [4][2][P]+[G] - Wall throw, wall at the back

New Back Attacks
    (JMJ) [P] - Mid, Hold to regular stance
    (JMJ) [K] - Up, Hold to regular stance
    (JMJ) [2][P] - Low, Hold to regular stance
    (JMJ) [2][K] - Low, Hold to regular stance
    (JMJ) [P]+[K]+[G] - Jump to the back of the opponent, Hold to regular stance
    [P]+[K]+[G] - Jump to the back of the opponent, Hold to JMJ stance

Modified Old Moves
    (During JMJ [2][P]+[K]+[G]) [P]+[K] - Mid, Sabaki, Hold to regular instance
    (During JMJ) [K]+[G] - Mid, Hold to regular stance
    (During JMJ) [6][K] - Mid, Hold to regular stance
    (During JMJ) [P]+[G] - Catch Throw, Hold to regular stance

Command Changes
    [6][2][3][P]+[K] - Mid, Kageyaiba
    [6][2][3][P]+[K][K] - (Mid, Up), Narakuotoshi

12. lau_fists

lau_fists Well-Known Member

I don't think story would persuade me to buy the game, but I AM fascinated with Lau as a character, with his alienated daughter and his tiger identification and his black-hearted J6 murders juxtaposed against his saving teenage Sarah from Duralism. Now he's dying, and Lei Fei wants to kill him AND steal his Koen-ken. What needs to happen: after Lau's fatherly acceptance of Lei's desire to better his technique beyond any currently known, Lei Fei renounces Shaolin to become an unstoppable white-haired, moustached kung-fu supervillain, what with the melding of his awesome Lohan Palm with Koen-ken; he destroys Dural and incorporates Goh and Sarah in a huge revenge plan against J6. Sarah, with an unspoken love affair beginning between she and Lei, is taken over by the implanted J6 evil; she betrays Lei during the J6 assault, and Lei vows to kill her for her act in the next tournament...even though with his great love for her it will be like killing himself.

13. GaijinPunch

There's actually a kage clip floating around, and I'm pretty sure it's got that move in there.

14. Hamme

Hamme Well-Known Member

Good plots. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif Let's see if Virtua Fighters Quest will adopt it. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

From Kageh field report, Jamboree>>Evo in Chicago, Kage seem harder to land TFT combos afterwards. This could be because it is a development board. I don't know. Only if someone can confirm this.

15. GaijinPunch

I got the hell TFT'ed out of me the other day. The guy didn't seem to have too much trouble if I didn't escape it. :)

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

any theoretically strong tft combos with the new moves?
    The K+GPP thing would be just another combo ender, but I wonder how the refloat strength of m-D/F+P would be?

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

YES!! I knew AM2 wouldn't leave Kage hanging, and allow him to be able to flow out of JM with more moves. The K+G hold is really going to make a BIG difference.

Quick question: what do you mean by the back attacks from JMJ? Kage is in JMJ and his back is to the opponent?

18. GaijinPunch

Kage really doesn't seem to have many changes besides that one really good combo, that I got jacked with. I got TFT'ed out of the ring during a 4-dan battle (me Aoi). I beat him twice prior to that though, so I wound up on top.

19. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

20. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Me and Marc went down to Park Royal arcade today where they have a dev/test evo (yeah, yeah I Know!!).

Anyways here are my thoughts on the ninja.

D,df+P
    Not really that big an addition. You don't seem to be able to do a jab float but you can d+P+KK or do ub+K+G in open stance. Perhaps you need to do d+P into float combos... I like the chop better!!

[JM] K+G
    As you know this can be held down now to cancel the stance, very cool. You can do stuff like [jm] K+G - PPb+PK for a ringout or [jm] K+G - K+GPP

Kage has more delay on his d+K+G now, is probably P counterable.

[JM] G has more delay (back to verB type guard cancel delay it seems sadly). For example after [jm] P+K+G sidekick reverse I could combo with uf+K+G or dash forward into [jm] P+K or [jm] K+G, but I could not dash forward [jm] G cancel into f+K+G or df+P for example. Both times opponent could block /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

K+GPP
    I like this move reminds me of Lau's df+KPP. You can add delays and mix-ups and stuff the last P cause a drop (force crouch) stagger.

df+K
    swicth stance style sidekick, lost tons of range, i hate it!

[BT] or [TT] P+K+G
    Neat move where you can land behind and opponent, in [jm] if you wish. Worked wellin setting up a [jm] P+K sabaki

There were some [bt/tt] jm attacks now but didn't mess about with them too much.

Oh well Kage seems to be a bit weaker, but then it seems alot of the more powerful normal standard attacks have been toned down for most characters. He still a shifty ninja in the right hands i suppose.

Oh the joysticks and button layout at Park Royal is crap, i couldn't do TFT - knee once!! ah well....

I'm sure marc will post his thoughts soon...