1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Lion Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm going to break the threads up by character, as is more information pouring out daily. Once the beta testing is done, I'm sure we'll get more info from Sega - so please feel free to put your findings here.

Played some more w/ Lion. Started the day off strong w/ a nice 5-win streak, but finished off on a turd, including my Ver. C Lion dropping to 5-dan from this dipshit weenie Lei-Fei.

Anyways, I did get to learn a bit about the new moves.

[6][6][P][K] This is a quick poke. Couldn't tell if it was on hit or counter, but putting in [6][6][K][K] seemed effective.

I was going to get the scoop from the source, but the only Sega staff there were people making sure everyone stayed in line. Like campain girls, but not girls, and not pretty. So, what was I to do? The next best thing -- ask Chibita, as he was there, smoking balls as usual. The move I posted before but couldn't figure out is [6][4][P][P]. These are really quick hits. It appears to suck the opponent in. However, it doesn't look like the throw is guaranteed afterwards. Once your opponent is used to this combo, simply do [6][4][P], then maybe a [6][4][P]+[K] and a throw or something. Chibita could really use all the new moves. Overall Lion seems pretty good. I was able to beat SHU (pretty much the best Shun player) once, which I took as an accomplishment. It was really kewl watching SHU & Chibita fight.

The only other Lion items I saw were a pair of sunglasses, but they were quite normal looking -- not like his sports sunglasses.

It also appears that Lion has no new throws.

Overall, he feels about the same.

2. GaijinPunch

last update before I crash, as it's late, and I'm pissed off that that wanker referee defeated Italy (who were they playing against again?) :)

It looks like Lion has a mid attack when his back is turned. Definitely quicker than turning around and entering [6][P][P]. Again, this was Chibita doing it, so who the hell knows how easy it is.

He's quite a nice fellow, and didn't have any problems telling me some other stuff, so if he graces High Techland again tomorrow with his presence, I shall inquire. FYI -- he's got the highest rank so far at 2-dan. 90+% win ration.

Maybe Kyasao will show up and show everyone what the new Kage is made of.

3. Mr. Noisy

Mr. Noisy Well-Known Member

They were playing against the co-host Korea
    It's sad that Italy got incorrect call most often in this tournament /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

4. GaijinPunch

Yeah, I know who they played. It was a bit of a joke. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. GaijinPunch

The only thing new I noticed about Lion that I don't think was in the first beta test was a new throw. Think of it as the opposite of his [4][P]+[K]. I only saw it once, but he grabs the opponent by the arm, gives them a good whack, and then throws them on the ground. Hard to describe after only seeing it once.

6. GaijinPunch

Prick bastards --- meteor punch [2][1][4][P] is now only one lousy punch!!! DOH! No [P] follow up.

7. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Considering the fact that the [2][1][4][P] was made throw counterable in version C and that Lion could be thrown during the execution of the following [P] (i.e. the 2nd [P] was all but useless) then I don't think this removal should be missed. Or have I overlooked something?

8. Sausage Man

Sausage Man Active Member

True, the second punch could be thrown, but you could only throw it. So, you could both throw the 2nd punch and throw escape instead of trying to DTE-G taking away from their guessing game.

9. GaijinPunch

I agree with you in theory Myke, but that 2nd [P] was still useful.

Scenario 1: Both people know Lion can be thrown during excecution. But, the guy has to be within throwing distance, or have FANTASTIC timing if not. So, he figure -- the other guy is going to escape it, so i'm going to whale on him when he tries to escape my phantom throw. So the opponent runs in, and gets whacked by the 2nd punch. Believe me -- it happens more than seldomly, even against good players.

Scenario 2: Both know of the throw. The opponent comes in w/ the throw, and gets the throw pulled off. Good deal.

Scenario 3: The opponent doesn't know he can throw -- runs into the 2nd punch like an idiot -- loads of damage. Everyone is happy.

See -- kinda takes the guessing game out. Now it's just like any other low recovery attack... oh, well. His other stuff is kewl.

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I won't really miss it...

I have used the second Meteor Punch, but I could never say that those moments were serious moments... more like the opponent did something really foolish and ran into it, and I figured they would run into it. Certainly something I wouldn't use in serious play, unless I had that much initiative to do so (at which I would just do something else).

Besides, I figure more and more opponents will finally get used to throwing after blocking the first meteor punch (so far, only one person has ever seemed to do that against me consistently... and I can't remember who it was). I just hate being lazy and never plugging a single throw escape after I do a meteor punch... When I know I should be doing it.

-Chanchai

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The second P is throw interruptable only in parallel stance, unfortunately.

12. GaijinPunch

Okay, make that TWO new throws for Lion. Unfortunately, I don't know the commands, but I assume one is a 270.

The first one I've mentioned before, I can describe a bit better now. He grabs his opponent buy the arm, raises it in the air, gives 'em a kick to the rib cage, and throws them down.

The other one, looks a lot like Sarah's Gatling, although he slaps the opponent 4 or 5 times with his goofy-ass mantis-hand, and does a little scream. Pretty kewl. I assume it's a 270.

13. danny13

danny13 Well-Known Member

Damn it! How come u never tell me? Actually, even in version b, pple interrupt my 2p wif a throw too. Closed stance.. hmm.

14. GaijinPunch

I finally made my Lion Evolution card, and I'm not doing so hot with him. I'm like 8 wins & 12 losses, but I've been playing some tough competition.

Here's some confirmed goodies.

New throw:
    [3][3][P]+[G] - not that strong, and no down attack guaranteed, but it looks kewl. I've still done the other new one. All other throws seem to be in there.

[4][P][P] is totally different. Instead of spinning around, it's a 2-punch combo, where he kind of waves his hands from one side to the other. When he does it on a float, it pulls the opponent closer towards you. So, a nice combo is:
    [4][4][K][P]+[K][4][6][P]+[K][4][P][P] - You're right on top of the opponent now -- now need to rush over. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

[4][4][P]+[K] - takes a step back and swings his arm. Very lame distance as one could imagine, but it's good for rushers. Gives them a slight stagger. Basically it's made to give you a second to gain your ground - I've not found a good follow up yet.

[6][6][P]+[K][P] - decent range, and is high/mid. You can delay the 2nd punch to hit after the first is dodged.

[2][P]+[K][4] - basically the same as before, but this will turn Lion around. You can follow up with [K], [2][K], or any of your other favorites that you used when turned around before.

[3][P]+[K] - a very strange looking move. It's basically a knee & a jab. Staggers on hit, but doesn't do a lot of damage.

[3][P]+[K]+[G][3][P]+[K] - this is what any Lion player would expect it to be. Basically two moves from Ver. C put together. A swerve, and then [3][P]+[K] in one move. There's also away to do the swerve with knee/jab move I stated earlier, but I've not figured it out, although I've done it by accident.

[2_][6][P]+[K] - takes longer than [2_][3][P] and doesn't float, but does decent amount of damage, and pushes the opponent back pretty far, so they can't throw you unless they take a couple of steps towards you.

Meteor Punch only has one punch now, as stated before.

Enjoy!

15. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Regarding this [4][P][P] new move of his, when it's done in a juggle, how is the recovery after it connects? I am thinking this can lead to some pressure games if the opponent TR/QR (Assuming it is TR/QRable), and a cute pounce if the opponent decides to stay down.

Let's say, a [6][1][G]+[P] against QRers.

A [6][P][P], [6][6][P], or a [6][G]+[K] Against TRers, for example.

So I guess my question is, is it easier for Lion to Pressure the opponent after that [4][P][P] in juggle? /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

I know I might be delving into some unimportant concepts; I am just excited about Evo like all. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

16. GaijinPunch

Well, I've not gotten that far yet. It's a nice little move. I use it when people QR/TR, but it doesn't knock them down -- hence, it's good on float.

It's also good after[6][1][P]+[G]. I've seen someone do:[6][1][P]+[G][4][P][P][3][3][P].... I think -- that was during the beta test, which isn't so fresh in my mind.

One thing I did notice. [4][P]+[G] is about 10 pts weaker now.

17. GaijinPunch

More Lion information. I found ESTIMATES of damage from throws. Some of them are throws with often used follow-ups.

[2_][6][P][G](+[4][6][K]+[G]) = roughly 70 points
    [4][P]+[G](+[3][P]) = roughly 62 points
    [6][3][2][1][4][P]+[G] = roughly 60 points
    [4][6][P]+[G] = roughly 50 points
    [3][3][P]+[G] = roughly 45 points
    [P]+[G] = roughly 40 points
    [6][6][P]+[G] = omitted -- will get later.

Now, note that [3][3][P]+[G] and [4][1][2][3][6][P]+[G] are TR-able throws. I *THINK* that if they don't techroll immediately, down attack is guaranteed, maybe even pounce. I have gotten a pounce in from time to time, but you can't just hit [8][P] after the throw -- gotta wait and see.

18. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

19. GaijinPunch

I forgot to add one of Lion's best moves. It's pretty hard to pull off, so you have to practice on the CPU quite a few times for it to work.

[6][1][P]+[G][P][P][P]
    Basically, you have to hit [P][P][P] about 1 nano-second before he makes the noise from the grab. The window is extremely small. If you get all 3 punches in, you do a good 40-50 damage, AND you've got several frames priority, as the opponent is staggered. However, if you fuck the timing and only get two punches (or worse -- even 1) then the opponent has priority.

[6][1][P]+[G][2][P]+[G] still does the same damage as Ver. C I believe.

20. GaijinPunch

Time to add to this puppy, as I've figured some goodies out.

As has been mentioned somewhere in the media forum (can't remember which one) Lion can turn around after one of his low attacks. What used to be [3][P]+[K] is now [2][P]+[K]. Throwing in a [4] at the end spins him around. Now, if the punch part is a counter hit, I'm pretty sure a high kick, which floats, is guaranteed. Full command is:
    [2][P]+[K][4][K][4][6][P]+[K][P][P]
    Nice damage, and is pretty subtle coming on. Used the hell out of this against a 7-dan Lau (twice) and a 7-dan Jacky (twice) and got my Lion up to 8-dan. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

[3][P]+[K] - I still can't get this damn thing to do much for me, as it's high. Jeffry and Jacky have a very similar one as well. If anyone that's played this knows when to use this damn thing, le me know.

Also after playing Lion extensively, I'm not so pleased with his new throws. They don't do much damage, and he's lost a throwing direction since Ver C.