1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Pai Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Pai, along with Shun, seems to have some new tricky moves. Honestly, I don't think she needed them in the first place, so I'm just going to have to make her my next character. Otherwise I'll get my ass kicked.

The most noticeable, was a reverse cartwheel looking thing. VERY similar to Kage's, [3][K]+[G] but WAY faster, and puts her very far out of throws reach. She can follow up with another one that looks quite the same in the same direction.

She's got at least two new high throws, and a new low throw (from what I could tell). At least one of the high throws is very low on damage, but staggers the opponent, at which she can unload.

Also has new moves to use when turned around. Really need to ask a good Pai player about her.

ITEMS: I only saw the glasses, but there's a picture of a short haircut on a poster at the testing site.

2. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Great, Great, Will we be able to do more moves out of the sway stance or circ? My people are catching onto my several mixups & throws. And by the stagger throw. Do you mean kinda like a throw inashi that I wouldnt require you to counter anything?

3. GaijinPunch

I believe she has more moves out of her [4][P]+[K]+[G] stance, although can't recall them exactly off the top of my head.

I was able to beat the one or two Pai's I played against, which I usually don't do. They might've been concentrating on new moves they're not comfortable with.

4. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

She's got at least two new high throws, and a new low throw (from what I could tell).

The new low throw is much needed, as she has only one til vf4, which mean it could be escaped very easily. Now at least she got 50% chance of getting the throw done(assuming VF4E allows only one low-throw input as before). How's the damage for her new low throw btw?

Also, does she got any new float launcher?

5. GaijinPunch

The new low throw (I don't know the input command, but I assume it's [3][P]+[K]+[G] doesn't do a lot of damage. What she does is jump over the crouching opponent, kicks him in the neck, which sends him up staggering -- then it's your choice of attack [6][K][K].

I guess if your opponent is quick then he could buffer both of them in, but Pai is so damn fast...

6. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Active Member

I guess if your opponent is quick then he could buffer both of them in...

Isn't it true that only one throw-escape is allow for low-throws? That's why I thought chars with more low-throws are less likely to get their low-throw escaped...

If you play Pai, please try her a bit on VF4E, see how does the feel of playing her change..

Can't wait to have VF4E here... really hope it would make it to the arcades around here(Singapore).

Many thanks for the first-hand info, btw!

7. GaijinPunch

np, alex.
    As far as I know, you can buffer any amount of low throw escapes in as long as you're quick enough. I've got one guy that I can NEVER throw low... I've tried LOADS of times, and that's way to many for coincidence. Jeff & Wolf definitely have the advantage with 3 low throws though.

Also, I made a mistake on saying that Pai's new low throw does a little damage and stagers. It does damage only, and a decent amount. She jumps and kicks her opponent on the back of the neck.

I've not played her enough in VF4 to comment on how she feels different. She *WILL* be my next character, as she's honestly the one I do the worst against, as not many people use her, and I think she's extremely underrated. Her hits made to almost no damage, but it seems she gets a LOT of 'em in.

Any time I've gotten waxed by a Pai, I've put in another 100 yen, and used Pai. (I've played her maybe 20 times in the arcade) If I don't win, I get damn close. To me, something's wrong with that.

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

9. LittleWild

LittleWild Well-Known Member

I think Pai has 2 new low throws.
    [4][6]+[P]+[K]+[G]
    and
    [2]+[P]+[K]+[G]

Her new standing throw that staggers the opponent is
    [4][2]+[P]+[G]
    I read that it might be possible to follow up with a low throw.

As far as I know, Pai doesn't seem to have new moves in her stance. But she has new back turned attacks:

[K] - New back turned kick. Remains back turned against opponent

[P]+[K] - Backturned double palm? - Remains back turned.

[P]+[K]+[G] - Goes in to stance.

10. GaijinPunch

Yes, she does have two new low throws, but only one new escape. I just started using here the other day, and can already do mass damage. She's a very strong character. Always has been, but underrated in my opinion.

The [K] with back turned is good, especially after [6][6][K]+[P], but if it's blocked, then usually the [K] won't hit. I could never get [P]+[K] to work w/ the back turned...damn it.

[4][P] is new, or at least a command change. I only used Pai about 5 times in Ver. C., so can't comment really.

[P][K] works like Aoi's [3][P][K] in that you get a guaranteed low throw on counter. It could be on hit. I can say that I get the throw a lot more often with Pai than Aoi.

11. hananokeiji

hananokeiji Well-Known Member

hehe ok, finally got my chance to test out Evo's pai, here's a little bit that i noticed.

[P]+[K] on counter is low throw guaranteed. (tried it twice on human opponents.. maybe they did not struggle or expect it.. (dont know whether it is something similar to jeff's or wolf's hits which forces crouch but can struggle away from the low throw.) but with the low throw, the damage is quite nice.

i was told from the game mag that [3] [K][P] changes stance.. but never got it to work.

also, pai's [P][P][P][2][K] and [P][P][P][4][K] seems slower than version c. quite easily blocked now it seems. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

but her new throws are very very cool!! (even though the damage output is not too good comparing to her old ones. hehe) but very good setups.

that's it for now. i tried too much Vanessa and Goh to remember other things. hehe.

12. GaijinPunch

I used [P]+[K][2][P]+[K]+[G] all day long on human opponents. Aoi's similar move is guaranteed on counter, and I assume Pai's is the same. Not sure about Wolf or Jeff.

The only throw combo I got to work was [6][1][P]+[G] which forces a crouch, then low throw. I could've actually inputted the wrong command, but I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

13. andy

andy Well-Known Member

I'll save spotlite the trouble and try to post my Evo Pai impressions myself.

High Throws - The biggest change you will notice

[4][6][P]+[G] - Completely different. Does small damage, but leaves the opponent with his back to Pai. I don't know if anything is guaranteed. Does not change position, though pushes the opponent a little forward, I think.

[6][4][P]+[G] - Completely different again. Very similar to the above throw (small damage, leaves opponent with back to Pai), except that players change position, like the old DDT.

For the above two throws, spotlite told me that a good thing to do was SSK ([9][K]) and then mix up high and low throws. If the opponent tries to interrupt the throw with and attack, like LP, then do DSK after SSK. I'm not sure, though, if the SSK is guaranteed. But, if you find the opponent blocking SSK, of course you can go for another throw.

[6][2][P]+[G] - Another small damage throw, but this time Pai pushes the opponent back on his butt, I think, and the two are still facing after the throw. The opponent is pretty far in front of Pai after the throw. I've tried [[3][3][6][P]+[G] after this throw with pretty good results. Also the first two throws have much longer animations than this throw, which looks somewhat like the new [P]+[G].

[P]+[G] - Animation change. More of a trip throw now. I think it does similar damage to the old throw, and I'm not sure if SSK over the opponent works.

As far as I know, [6][P]+[G], [3][P]+[G], [6][6][P]+[G], [2_][6][P]+[G], [4][2][P]+G, and 270[P]+[G], are pretty much the same, except maybe some damage tweaks.

Low throws - 2 new ones, 1 damage, one stumbling

[2][P]+[K]+[G] - as has been mentioned before, this low throw does OK damage, maybe around 45 or 50 or so. Looks cool though.

[4][6][P]+[G] - another small damage throw. I think it switches position, but I'm not sure. Pai and the opponent are left REALLY far away from each other after this throw, such that without moving closer, I think any attack Pai tries will probably miss, except maybe [6][6][K]+[G]. I think this is the only new throw that the opponent can use the joystick to struggle out of faster, like [4][2][P]+[G]. I doubt if anything is guaranteed, but I'm not sure.

[6][P]+[K]+[G] seems pretty much the same.

New attacks

[6][6][K]+[G] - Much faster than the old version, and looks more like a long range [6][K]+[G]. Pai's back is turned after this attack. On normal hit, you can get a (bk) [K] to hit. On counter, [P][P][P][2][K] will hit. I think on block, Pai may have a small disadvantage, but is definitely not throw counterable.

[4][P] - although it may still say so in the move list, I don't think this attack crumbles on counter anymore. It's a slow, medium-long range double-handed attack, that pushes the opponent quite a bit back whether the opponent guards or is hit by it. Seems pretty safe. May be useful when opponent's back is near a wall.

(while standing)[P]+[K] - This is an uppercut type move that recovers with Pai's back to the opponent. I probably shouldn't say this, but it is similar to Ling Xiaoyu (while standing) 2. I don't think it floats on normal or counter hit.

[2_][4][K] - a backwards cartwheel type move. Not sure if it is safe when blocked, but on hit it will cause the opponent to stumble on his butt, like [6][6][K].

[2_][4][P] - not sure what to make of this move. Not too fast, and doesn't look like it does a lot of damage, but may do something on counter hit. Haven't used it much.

[P]+[K] - has been discussed before as a force-crouch move. Seems to recover OK as well.

[3][P][4] - the low blue fist to circular evade is better to me than [4][K][2] because it is more likely to hit and harder to see. However, I don't think Pai has a big or even a small advantage if the low blue fist hits. I've been meaning to try and mix this up with [3][P](hold)[K].

[2][K][4] - despite what the movelist says, this move goes to back-turned, not circular evade. Again, very little or no advantage even if it hits, or maybe the back -turned attacks are just really slow.

(Circular Evade) [P]+[K] - while this attack looks the same, it now stumbles (on the butt, I think, not a stagger) a crouch guarding opponent, which I don't think it did before. Still floats, though not sure only on counter, or also on normal. Never seen it not stumble or float.

[K]+[G] - Very different. This move is similar to Lion's [4][4][K]+[G]. It's a hopping crescent that turns Pai around. Hard to connect with, and I'm not sure if it's full circular or not. Probably had good recovery if blocked, though.

Back-turned attacks
    [K] - this kick, as everyone knows by now, looks a little like Ling Xiaoyu's back-turned 4 kick. If it hits as a counter, you can get [P][P][P][2][K]. Not sure what to do on normal.

[P]+[K] - this is a short-range move where Pai takes a small step backwards, towards the opponent, and hits them with both hands in a small pushing motion. This attack is pretty fast, and the situation is close to neutral on block, so you can seem to do these endlessly, without interruption, if the opponent does not try a very fast attack. It's a good move to start with when you first turn your back, and then mix up with more of these, [K], [2][K], and maybe [G] and throw.

That's it for now.

Andy

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information -
    P+G - I assume this is the weak little spin'n'trip where she whirls her arms like a helicopter?

Re the exchange throws, DSK always works in clips, it might work irl... otherwise you can do the spotlite gambling thing.
    You mentioned 2 new low throws and described the damage one as ~50 points. Guaranteed ground punch, or no? Also what's the stumbling one net you?

What's the command for the knee after [3][P][4] ? P+K? Are good combo followups guaranteed?

I thought I saw a new cartwheel kick that leaves pai backturned and is sort of bait for a back turned K -> combo. What is it?

15. andy

andy Well-Known Member

Yes [P]+[G] is the spin and trip throw.

I haven't tried a ground throw after [2][P]+[K]+[G], but I'll try today.

I just talked to spotlite, and he says that DSK is guaranteed after [6][4][P]+[G], but not after [4][6][P]+[G].

The stumbling low throw seems to around 20 or so damage, but I'll have to check that again. I forgot to mention that both players end with their backs to one another. Spotlite also just told me that the recommended action is to buffer in a backdash, or maybe 2 since you are so far away, and then try (back) [K] or (back) [9][K] , the backflip attack, if they try a low attack.

Yes, after [3][P][4], or [4][K][2_], the knee is [P]+[K]. If you float, you can do any [2_][6][P] combo. If you stumble a crouch guarding opponent, then maybe DSK is guaranteed. Maybe [K] also, I'll have to try it out.

[6][6][K]+[G] is the new cartwheel kick that leaves Pai's back turned. I don't think [K] will beat out anything the opponent tries. But if either counters, you get a good float.

Andy

16. GaijinPunch

Andy:

Any of the three low throws are guaranteed after [6][2][P]+[G].

17. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Great post Andy. I'll use this information to update Pai's command list. Cheers.

18. GaijinPunch

Oh yeah -- [K]+[G] is circular, and you're right -- it's hard to connect with.

Need to fix the Lei Fei changes I told Myke about yesterday. Made a mistake.

19. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Fantastic - some Pai discussion! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

I played her for the first time last night and confirmed a few things.

Creed, the crescent like kick that you're seeing in the vids is the one where she makes a new noise, right? Well, that's her new crescent, [K]+[G]. It looks like Lion's bb+K+G.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just talked to spotlite, and he says that DSK is guaranteed after +[P]+[G], but not after [4][6]+[P]+[G].

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's got it mixed up. Last night it seemed as though the boys started to struggle the DSK after the new DDT, and that the new roll over had the guaranteed DSK...we should double check, but that was my impression. They look very similar, indeed.

I didn't use her [P]+[K] knee that much last night, so I didn't notice the stumble characteristics..I'll have to check into that a bit more.

As far as floats are concerned. I tried to use everything new in a float to see what does what and if anything may be useful and different. On light characters, it's fun to do [2_][6]+[P] --> [P][G] -->[2_],[P]+[K] --> [P][P][K][K]. Very cool looking combo that I think I saw in a japanese vid a while back. The [P][P][K][K] doesn't connect on midweights, so I switched to her Back turned [K] for variation. Kinda cool. I was in 'Omigoditsnew' mode and relied heavily on [P][P][P][2]+[K] a lot and the staple [6][6]+[P][K] for a lot of my floats however. I stuck in [2_][4]+[K] in a float to see what the damage was like and was very disappointed...looked cool however.

[4]+[P]. Hrm. I'm a little miffed at the loss of her crumple. Actually, a lot miffed. I really wish it was there. Nonetheless, the move does leave you at a good distance from the opponent and it does do decent damage.

Her new [P]+[K] is interesting. It forces crouch, which is cool. It also slams down in a float. I tried it a few times and thought it was neat...[P][G], [P]+[K] in any ordinary float worked agaisnt Wolf even. I'm not certain if it gives a pounce. [3]+[P] for sure, but I'll have to try it out more.

I played around with [3]+[K][P] quite a bit, and it seems useful but the opponent can mess you up if they duck the [P] after blocking the sidekick. Agaisnt the CPU I managed to pull off [2_][6]+[P] --> [P][G] --> [3]+[K][P] --> Wall --> [9]+[K][K] for some good damage and style points too /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Nice to hear other's impressions of her...

cheers,

20. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Well I'm not really sure what Pai can/can't do after the b, f+P+G, but I'm pretty positive the DSK is guaranteed after the f, b+P+G. I re-confirmed this from a magazine yesterday, and Andy proceeded to nail me with it many times last night.

Since that throw isn't struggle-able (no shaking lever), I'm pretty sure struggling wouldn't make any difference. I thnk the only new throw that shows the lever is the low stumble throw (b, f+P+K+G).

Spotlite