1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Shun Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

While Shun still pretty much 'feels' the same, he has gotten quite a few new moves. While nobody still knows about them, they seem to work well. Only time will tell how long.

SHU gave us a nice display of how someone should use Shun in Evolution. He tried desperately to explain to me the new stuff, but I just couldn't get them -- too nervous. But mainly b/c the new moves come out of different stances, or are the END of an already existing combo. Only one new move was listed - [4][P][P] which I could never get sorted out. Always turned into [4][P]. I finished the day 1 & 4 w/ Shun -- not happy.

Anyways, there are now two extra ways to finish off [P]+[K][K]. One is a mid punch, where Shun flies back a little, and one is a low diving kick (both legs - so I don't think it can be reversed). W/ the kick, he then lays down. Now, the next move, that I couldn't pull of either is from the hand stand. Basically, he rolls out of it, and straight into his [4][3][P]. SHU was able to do both of these moves regularly, and quite well.

ITEMS: SHU was the only person I saw w/ any items. He had a REALLY funky hat -- can't describe it. Old man glasses, as well as a bundle of something (maybe clothes) on his back. Pretty kewl stuff.

More later...

2. GaijinPunch

oh, yeah -- two other things.

Another move I saw was a mid-kick, where Shun falls back on his ass a bit, kicks up, then comes back up to his feet. This seems like a nice complement to his [1][P]+[K]+[G][P] -- adds a bit more spice.

The other thing I noticed, was when I was uing Lion and fighting SHU, when I did the old [1][K] kick, Shun was able to connect his [8][K]. I thought in Ver. C this wouldn't connect -- or is it only low punch that disrupts?

3. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Do any of these new moves have evacive qualities to them, such as avoids high attacks? Also, any links to movies of vf4 evo play? Awesome reporting here and all the characters...your dedication is definatly appreciated! /versus/images/icons/cool.gif

4. GaijinPunch

Unfortunately, there's no videos out. They've got big signs that say "NO FILMING" or else I'd buy a video camera and record some stuff.

I'm seriuosly in the market for one though, so maybe I'll buy one by by August 2nd. There's a small game center that will likely let me record. Won't be high-level, but a lot of 5dan - 7dan, which is still pretty impressive at the arcades.

5. Bu_Jessoom

Bu_Jessoom Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by GaijinPunch:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Now, the next move, that I couldn't pull of either is from the hand stand. Basically, he rolls out of it, and straight into his [4][3][P]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!! That's one of the moves I like. [Greedy] Hopefully blocking it from the Handstand would give it an advantage, or at least reduce the disadvantage to -3 to -7 frames instead of the regular -13... OR At least make it only throw counterable, rather than throw and punch counterable [/Greedy].

I would also love a faster [1][P]+[K]...

6. GaijinPunch

No new items today for Shun, but I learned a couple of the moves. The one listed on the machine is
    [P][K][4] -- this is similar to his current [P][K] although the animation is a bit different, and it tends to move him out of the way, although I ate it. I think you'll only benefit from the ending evasive move if the kick connects.

The other one, is pretty much the opposite of the above. [6][K][P]. This is the one I was mentioning earlier. Mid kick (maybe high -- not sure) then he flies back a bit, then jumps forward with a mid punch. The punch staggers, although I'm not sure if it staggers if blocked. I only saw it attack once. Conversely, you can use [4][K][2][K] (don't quote me -- I'm assuming that's it) for the same movement, although he comes in for a flying low kick. Both feet, so looks like it can't be reversed. He is then laying on the ground... wide open, btw.

7. Bu_Jessoom

. The one listed on the machine is [P][K][4]
    -- this is similar to his current although the animation is a bit different, and it tends to move him out of the way, although I ate it. I think you'll only benefit from the ending evasive move if the kick connects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Is there, by any chance, a way to get into stance(s) in the evasive part of the move you mentioned? Maybe pressing [G] or [K] again ? Or maybe it'll prevent the opponent from throwing ... /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

And regarding the other move, [6][K] is not the Crane Kick anymore (The one that leads into DS)? Or it changes if you hit [P] quickly after [6][K]?

8. GaijinPunch

DOH! That's a type-o! The full move is. [4][K][P] or [4][K][2][K].
    Thanks for catching me.

It doesn't look like there's new ways to go into stances, but it seems there are more options for coming out. I've really not gotten to play with him too much as I always get beaten.

9. GaijinPunch

I played Shun in 1-player mode today to play with the moves. Here's what I've got.
    [4][K][P] is as before -- nice. Also staggers on block.
    [4][K][K] is the same starting animation as above, however takes a bit longer, and kicks the opponents legs out.

There's still one from [6][P]+[K] that I can't figure out.
    [P][K][4] will make Shun dodge a bit after the kick.
    And the biggest kicker, after doing that one stance where he's standing on one leg, like after [6_][K], [2] makes him dodge (very slowly) instead of going into his sleeping stance. GRRRR....

And a bigger kicker -- maybe I was just tired (which I was) but it seems you can't go into stances with [4][1][2][3][6] and [6][3][2][1][4] anymore. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

10. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Actually the no HCB or HCF into his stances is great news to me. They werent really useful. Now i can do his 270 from [8] to [4] instead of [2] to [4].

So can you not go from Drunken Stance to LD at all now? Cause that would be gay:(

11. GaijinPunch

Well, I might've spoke to fast. I saw someone go into his sleeping stance last night, although I couldn't do it for some reason.

I did figure out a new move though. When Shun is standing on one leg, here are all the options:

[2] - dodges
    [2][P] - dodges, is standing facing backwards, punching over his back
    [P][K] - Same as before
    [6][P]+[K]+[G][K] - rolls forward, lays down, and scissor-kicks the opponents feet out from under them.
    [6][P]+[K]+[G][P] - rolls forward with a punch, which looks excactly like his [4][3][P].

There was a guy there that was pretty good with Shun, who had been using him exlusively. He's got a wicked all red 1P costume this time around.

12. Bu_Jessoom

I don't think the [4][1][2][3][6] and the [6][3][2][1][4] stance entrances are bad. Entering the handstand from [8][P]+[K] makes Shun moves a little bit backward while handstanding, while the [6][3][2][1][4] meant an almost in place handstand. Each of those has/had it's advantages.

While the [4][1][2][3][6] sometimes interfered with the execution of a Chouan, I am also not sure If I want it removed, unless there is another way to immediately enter LD stance.

Those additions to the DS sound good Gaijinpunch. Does the DS>> [2][P] look the same as his Backturned [G]+[P]+[K]?

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

On the contrary, this makes Shun a lot easier to play! Why? His 270b should be a snap to execute now, and people can go the more typical [8][6][2][4][P]+[G] instead of the PE [2][6][8][4].

14. GaijinPunch

Well, 270's are a very minor part of my SHun game, and have only been a part at all for my other two characters with them (Vanessa/Aoi) for a short while. I do recall doing [8][6][2][4][P]+[G] the other day w/ Shun, so I don't know why it would be different now.

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    By removing the HCB input for the handstand means that you'll no longer get accidental handstands when going for the 270 throw using a hcb input. As ice-9 mentioned, it's more common to go u,HCB than the other way around (at least for me) and I welcome this change.

And Shun users really should use the 270 throw more as it cannot be escape with just [4][P]+[G]!

16. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

To be fair i mentioned the 270 thing before ice did. So give credit fool:)

17. GaijinPunch

Yeah, I agree on the mis-command thing --- you just gotta get it right. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

So what is it escaped with if it's not escaped with [4][P]+[G]

18. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    So what is it escaped with if it's not escaped with [4][P]+[G]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shun's 270 throw is escaped with [4][6][P]+[G]! Try it out! I've noted this, along with other unusual throw escapes for other characters, in the VFDC Command Lists.

Lonelyfighter: Sorry, here's a trophy for you /versus/images/icons/smile.gif [​IMG]

19. GaijinPunch

Kewl. I will try it out.
    The bummer of it is though, that it's only good after 10 drinks. I'd take a normal escape and have it available from no drinks anyday.

20. GaijinPunch

Okay everyone -- it's official. Shun is strong again. I can no longer bitch about how weak he is starting 8/7 (except for when you play w/ people that don't let you drink).

Anyways -- here' s the deal, there was a guy playing Shun ferociously --- he was wasting people like he was using Jacky or something. Man it was amazing. Some things I noticed:

After 8 drinks
    all three hits of [3][P][P][K] will hit after successfully connecting the two following moves:
    [8][K] and [6][K][G].
    That makes for an awesome 70pt combo!

Some others I figured out from the one legged stance:
    [P]+[K][K] is the same as doing [4][K][K] with no stance - Shun will do a kick, dance around, then fly at the opponents feet, knocking them out from under him. Range is medicore.

Also from that stance, [P]+[K][P] is the same as [4][K][P]. Staggers on block, crumbles on counter or non-block. YOu can easily throw in [1][P][K] when it crumbles -- wicked move and the range is good, although it can be dodged pretty easily. The timing for each is different, so the opponent needs to know the difference of each instead of anticipate.

Also something that you can't anticipate is [6][P]+[K]+[G][P] & [6][P]+[K]+[G][K] from the same stance. The punch one, as stated before, ends up as Shun's [4][3][P] but takes off damage and staggers when blocked low -- [1][K][K] is a nice follow up. The kick version isn't really dodged easily. If your enemy comes at you high, he's toast. Very kewl stuff!