1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Evolution Vanessa Thread

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GaijinPunch, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Re: OMG OMG OMG

Even more goodness!

http://www1.u-netsurf.ne.jp/~texas/movie/ev_07.wmv

Observations:

- Mount! Hot damn! From the first round we're able to see this in action. Vanessa swtiches to OS and does a strike combo where the first two swings look like the old MT [4][6][P][P], but the third hit causes her to take a step BACK. She then immediately performs a grab into the mount position. (I don't think the mount is tied into the combo, but I could be wrong.) From the mount, she does two small strikes, and then a final that hits really hard.
    She gets the mount off twice in Round 5, as well. The string we saw miss in the last clip hits, apparently it is a combo string into hit throw. She gets Wolf down and goes into a mount hit string. It looks slightly different from the sequence we saw earlier in the last hit. (different command, maybe?)
    Finally, at the end, it confirms what I had read on a BBS a few months ago: A throw where she backrolls, holding the opponent, into the mount position.
    I'm wondering if there's any way to escape the mount... Perhaps it's like her hand-hold inashi?
    - Lots of short, quick strikes from OS in Round 2. There's something here that looks like the old [4][6][P][P][P] combo string as well. Perhaps there are variants upon the string now?
    - DS Uppercut-looking thing in Round 3. She doesn't hit with it, but I'm curious about it... she tries for it twice.
    - Saw the new [2][K][P] again in Round 3. Thanks for the info, GP. (^^)

Damn, can't wait until next month...

2. Zero-chan

More movie impressions!

Because somebody here besides me has to care, right?

ev_08.wmv:

- Already this player seems very adept at changing their stances from DS to OS when need arises.
    - Round 4: some new DS stuff here. Check out the two quick jabs after the [4][3][P] sabaki. Also, new animation for [4][6][K][P] sabaki, and the uppercut-looking attack I mentioned earlier.
    - There's another occurance of the OS[ bk][6][P][P]-looking lead-in into a mount in Round 5. I could have been wrong earlier, it might be canned.
    - Round 5: I guess this answers my earlier question about the mount being escapable.

ev_09.wmv:

- Round 1: New low throw. It might be from OS only? But all I have to say is OUCH. More pain for the opponent.
    - Round 4: Proof that those open corners are indeed going to pose a threat in certain situations. I'm not sure if I like it or not.
    - Round 5: It seems like the new DS [2][K][P] is a bit faster than before, and has the potential to take an unsuspecting opponent off guard. Or, perhaps they just aren't used to it yet. (^^;)

Come on, where are all the VFDC members of the Vanessa Fan Club? (;_;)

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

Re: More movie impressions!

Yeah, I hate that new low throw. Even if you escape it, she does about 20-30 pts damage, getting one knee in. Not very fair, ya think?

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

5. flood

flood Active Member

Re: More movie impressions!

When people told me that Van was gonna be changed I was kinda worried. But it seems that VF crew has decide to emphasize on her Vale tudo style. All the videos and this thread however have nullifed my fears. Thx for the info!

6. Zero-chan

Just some small observations I though I should add that haven't been mentioned yet. (Vane-related)

Any of the takedown techniques have a different result if you hit an opponent with their back turned to you. Instead of going into the mount position, she'll enter into a different throw where she wraps herself around the opponent and breaks their neck from behind. It looks VERY cool and incredibly painful.

OS D+P+K+G might seem really weak at first - it's just a single knee that doesn't even knock the opponent down. It reminds me very much of Jane's low throw in FV2. However, an opponent expecting a different low throw could very well be taken by surprise, and since it doesn't knock down, if they don't react quickly, you could use it to lead into something different. However, I think in most cases D/F+P+K+G is preferable.

7. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

that is interesting. I mever saw the takedown from the
    back. Wonder if it is confirmed after a backstagger...

Hey do you know how to escape the followups for takedown
    and whether multiple escapes are possible? If multiple
    escapes are not possible, it may be actually an useful
    move to use.... since there are soo many moves that lead
    to takedown now. but it seems to be hard to setup for
    takedown. Most of the moves do not have a mid option to
    force the opponent to guess. basically after the b+p, a
    low p by the opponent is pretty safe.

8. GaijinPunch

Most of the takedown stuff is guaranteed on hit -- IE, if that hit hits (not always counter) then you go to the takedown, and they have to escape from there. I believe there are a couple of ways to escape, depending on what the attack is.

9. Zero-chan

Escaping from the takedown is very much like escaping from Vane's hand-hold. I don't recall what the escape commands are off the top of my head... I think [P] and [2][P] are escaped with [2][G], and the [P]+[K] and [P]+[G] finishers are escaped with [P]+[G]. It's been done to me before several times. So, when you get into the takedown, be sure the mix up the variety and timing of the attacks you do, as with the handhold.

10. GaijinPunch

I just got the low-down on these today.

[2][G] or [8][G] depending on which hand Vanessa is bashing your face with. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

IE, Vanessa facing right, punching w/ right - escaped with [2][G]

11. alantan

both p+k and p+g is escaped with p+g??? that is not very
    good huh. Basically your opponent has 50% chance of escaping.

Then it is weaker than the handhold. Hey the handhold
    , at least one of them, has the huge damage p+g followup.
    The damage potential of the takedown dun look so good.

12. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    According to Arcadia, here's how to escape from Vanessa's TakeDown moves:

Hammer Knuckle (P): G
    Body Punch (d+P): d+G
    Heavy Hammer Knuckle (P+K): G
    Mount Elbow (P+G): P+G

So, while you do have a 50% chance of escaping with just G, I think if you use the Body Punch a lot, you can train people to use d+G, then open up chances for P and P+K. It's kind of like the odds you have of landing a ground throw now.

Also, from what I can tell, the P+K will end your string, like the P+G.

Spotlite

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Still trying to get my head around Vanessa's new Offensive Style. One thing I'm still not used to is how her arms aren't held up as high when in OS, and sometimes I'm not exactly sure which stance she's in! :p

Anyway, just some random notes:

Long Barrel Blow [6][6][P]
    This is a nice fast mid attack with good range. It's linear though so be wary of when you use it. I find that it might be useful to use this to catch people crouching when they expect [6][P]+[K] which hits high, and the two moves look a little similar (fast fist strike). I did a nice wall combo with Vanessa which involved [6][6][P] rebounding them off the wall, but I've totally forgotten what it was!

Left Hand Hold Combo
    (Left Hand Hold) [P]+[G] ~ [3][P]+[K] ~ [P]+[K][P] ~ [2_][K]
    This one is off the gamewave dvd that vfzone has been slowly releasing in parts. It does about half-life damage! Now that the [6][6][K]+[G] hit throw is only available in OS, I guess this is the standard and best followup now. Or do you have time to change into OS?

Crimson Lancer
    The Crimson Lancer, only available in OS, is an alternate ender to a number of combos, and on hit, leads to the Takedown position. I think alantan mentioned somewhere how it'd be nice if you can make the opponent guess between a mid-attack and the crimson lancer, because right now the alternative combo ender to the crimson lancer is a high attack. Both can be foiled with [2][P]. Now, the hit before every crimson lancer is always the Blow Back, [4][P], where she takes a small step away from the opponent as she hits them. So it got me thinking, maybe it opens enough distance to bait a [2][P] whiff, and of course follow it up with either of the new OS low throws. I'll test this out and report back with results.

Hey alantan, be sure to share any new stuff you come across, especially from the greenbook or jp sites.

Cheers.

14. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Yeah, I think the Long Barrel Blow is a really nice move. I read in the green book that while it's throw counterable only near the wall (we should update her counter table), I think maybe Wolf can throw her away from the wall. I hope I'm understanding that note right. I also saw a nice combo where you get a wall stagger with the LBB, then d/f+P+K, K- u+P.

Myke, can you give tips on the timing for Blowback- Takedown? I was also reading that f,f+K is one of her best moves in OS, and goes to Crimson Lancer on counter with f+P+K. It's uncounterable and has Advantage on normal hit, and they recommend following with f+P or Throw nitaku.

Seems like OS d/f+K,K is really good, too. Kurita abuses the shit out of this move.

Spotlite

15. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hey spotlite, I'm not sure if this is useful, but as far as timing the Blow Back -> Crimson Lancer I just enter the commands at normal speed (think [P][P][P][K] timing). I'm not sure if the CL is delayable or not, but I'm really hoping it is, even just a tiny bit. If not, then your opponent can simply [2][P] on reaction rather than anticipation. If it's somewhat delayable, then say hello to Low Throw after you bait a [2][P].

When I read about the OS [6][6][K] which allows for a CL on counter hit, I thought this was awesome, mainly for the fact that you had a guaranteed way of going to takedown given an MC. While I haven't used the OS [6][6][K] that much yet, I found that it didn't have the best range and since they've removed previous versions' followups to this move as well, I was beginning to think it wasn't so hot anymore. But now that you mention that it's uncounterable, I think I'll experiment with this move more.

BTW, another thing I noticed during one of my first sessions with Vanessa was that on the few occasions I landed the Sleeper Hold, I was shocked that my opponents couldn't struggle out and ate full damage! These are the same guys that barely allow me 10pts damage on ver.C whenever I land it, so I was wondering has something changed with getting out of the Sleeper Hold? Or was I just fluking out more than once that night?

16. alantan

okay,

I haven't got my greenbook yet but I have browsed some
    Japanese forums.

People are complaining Vanessa sucks now /versus/images/icons/smile.gif anyway for OS
    like what Spotlite says f,f+k is supposedly a very good move.
    Its recovery when blocked is SUPPOSEDLY -3 so her d/f+p
    (10 frame ??) can beat an elbow counter. Her f+k is also
    very good and I read somewhere that f+k (MC) throw is
    confirmed but I doubt it. Basically that guy says f+k (MC)
    can throw but f,f+k (MC) cannot throw as opponent too far.

The d/f+k,k also very good move. The first kick supposed to
    be able to dodge low p. ?? but the second kick cannot be
    delayed by much. mmm on second thoughts, can this move be
    dodge? the two kicks look like half circular in opposite
    side... if it cannot be dodge... wow... finally a mid
    circular move for OS vanessa

b+p (MC), f,f+p supposed to be combo.

the blow back gives Vanessa initiative when blocked

Oh and the f(hold) + K looks VERY good. Gives head crumble
    on MC, special high, half circular. Should be uncounterable
    but not too sure but the damage potential on MC is very
    good.

b,f+pppk suppoedly another good move... I guess it is
    the delay at the third p and final knee. I dun think it
    was changed for evo and I did not find it useful in ver C.

Anyway all these are NOT verified as I seldom play evo with
    people yet. So if you verify/disprove anything, please post.

17. Zero-chan

Haven't been doing OS much in recent days, as I've been mostly fighting Lions. In other words, I've been abusing the hell out of [1][P] XD

For [6][6][K], it seems nice but the range is rather limited, and the timing for the takedown is pretty strict. I still have a bad habit of expecting the circular spin kick and having this come out. (-_-;)

Long Barrel Blow rocks. Good range and fairly quick. I'm still working on trying to figure out good followups to it.

I might add that [6_][K] is guard cancellable. This really surprises a few people as they don't expect Vanessa to have cancellable attacks!

I have been sick lately so I didn't play last night and I might not be able to play tonight. Please wish me well, I am suffering Evo withdrawal.

18. alantan

info from green book

here are the initiative for a few moves after blocked/hit/counter situations

DS
    WS P bad(mid)/bad(small)/stagger
    d/f+k bad(mid)/fifty/good(mid)
    d/f+p+k bad(big)/down/down
    f,f+k bad(big)/down/down
    f,f+p bad(big)/good(small)/good(mid)
    f,f+p,p throw/fiftty/stagger
    d+k elbow/bad(big)/goog(small)
    d+k,p bad(big)/down/down
    p+k bad(mid)/good(small)/good(big)
    p+k,p bad(mid)/good(mid)/down

OS
    f+p bad(big)/bad(small)/good(mid)
    f,f+p throw(only wolf)/bad(small)/good(mid)
    F(hold)+k bad(mid)/good(mid)/down
    d/f+p fifty/good(mid)/good(mid)
    d/f+p,p throw/bad(small)/down
    d/f+k bad(big)/bad(mid)/good(big)
    d/f+k,k elbow/bad(small)/good(big)
    f+p+k bad(big)/bad(mid)/down ? I though normalhit is down

other stuff

DS
    b,f+k lost knee sabaki... no wonder I keep eating knees...
    d/b+p have a special property of being able to block
    special mid moves during sabaki, example sarah
    elbow knee, the knee is special mid and can be
    blocked during d/b+p

WS+p if opponent stuggles fast can try for f+p,k,k

d+k is faster than ver C

p+k,p p+k is faster and the second p gives a head crumble BUT the second do not give initiative when blocked and normal high which basically sucks.. The first p is also linear..

OS
    d/f+k,k
    the first k at fifty/fifty situations can dodge low P
    for the blowback Vanessa has more initiative after
    d+k,p,b+p and f,+k,k,p,b+p compared to b,f+p,pb+p but the takedown is NEVER confirmed even on a counter hit for blowback setups.

19. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Quit yer whining.
    Most of us here suffer from no Evo at all.

20. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Nice Job, Alan. I appreciate the work you put in.

Spotlite