1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 faq suggestions.Sarah,Pai, Notes

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by AlexMD, Oct 8, 2001.

1. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I got some more time with VF4 yesterday so I thought I'd type up some Myke style notes on the characters I've been playing most.

This may be common knowledge to some of the VF4 crowd here so please feel free to correct any mistakes. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

This is mostly intended for the people who haven't had a chance to play the game yet, hopefully this post will give an idea of which of the new attacks are most useful so no one will ever know the pain of losing $50 in two days. (like me) /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

{Sarah}

First off I think I should note that Sarah used without the flamingo is basically her VF3 self.

Sarah can still reliably connect a p,p,p,u/b+k after her knee (f+k) (I read the knee didn't float properly anymore, maybe this was just the test version?)

Even without the flamingo she can still hold her own very well but it sure gets a lot more fun once you start using it.

To get into the flamingo you can use b+k (similar to Lee's b+lk from TTT), it says b+p+k in the movelist and b+k isn't listed so I think this is a typo unless there is a move b+p+k?

You can also use p+k to get into flamingo, this takes a while to execute it hits mid like the b+k so you never really find it too hard to get into the flamingo.

The final way to get into flamingo (that I know of) is d/f+p,k this seems to be the fastest attack that leads into flamingo.
    The fact that both hit high and there are no mid canned follow-ups after the d/f+p could prove a hassle against a good opponent though, on the plus side it seems to be a combo on MC not sure about normal hit though?.

Once you are in flamingo there are a wealth of options available, you can use d+p+k or u+p+k for a nice dodging crescent against aggressive opponents,

Sarah's sweep (d+k+g) from flamingo is kinda slow unfortunately, I'm sure it could be blocked on reaction if you're going to use a low attack her d+k from flamingo would probably be better (just a little low peck but the recovery on block doesn't seem too bad).

Also of note is that some of Sarah's flamingo attacks like k,k,d+k and k,k,k change her leading leg (like changing from closed to open stance) I'm wondering if there are any combo's only available in open or closed flamingo stance (that's what I'll call em since I don't know the proper name)

The thing about Flamingo is that it takes quite a while (maybe one or two seconds) for her to cancel it with a block so you could be combo'd pretty severely if you decide to cancel the flamingo after a move is blocked or something

It seems to me that it's faster to try and interrupt an opponents attacks with a p or flipkick instead of trying to block them from flamingo also d or u+p+k comes in handy in this situation.

Sarah also has 2 throws from flamingo her p+g (she kind of jumps up onto them with one leg and kicks off sending them to the ground, her other throw is the now infamous kick tornado /versus/images/icons/smile.gif u,b,d,f+p+g or d,b,u,f+p+g, I find the former easier.

It's pretty easy to get this throw off after a bit of practice I just buffered in the motion during the recovery of one of the moves that gets her into flamingo or any move from flamingo,it's truly awesome to watch her kick the hell out of the opponent then tell them to "go home", the last hit seems to kick them into the wall as well.

Sarah’s u/f+p from flamingo seems a lot faster to execute in VF4 (her old u/f+p flip) and keeps her in flamingo so it could prove to be quite usefull this time around, considering people will probably try to stay just out of range of her kicks which is just far enough to flip over them.

Oh yeah I couldn't do the wall moves f+p+k+g or u/f+p+k+g with Sarah's back to the wall can someone help me with this? did you have any trouble with Kage's wall moves Myke?

{Pai}

Pai’s has some nice new low blue fist follow-ups now, d/f+p,k which is the LBF followed by a mid hitting crescent kick which can be charged is a very nice option, also k,p is her standing k followed by LBF and you can tack on the crescent after that as well.

F+k,k seems to have bad recovery so I only really used it in floats and even then you mostly only see it as the last two kicks of her p,p,k,k chain, p,p,k,k is very usefull as it hits fairly low to the ground plus it pushes forward unlike the sweep so if you are trying to push someone to the edge of the ring this works well.

SWAY STEP

Pai’s sway step is executed b+p+k+g if you don’t press anything during the animation you end up back turned which isn’t especially usefull, (though I’ve yet to see her TT reverse crescent. (I’ll report on that later)

The p string from SS is the spinning punches you’ve probably seen in some clips on the net, basically two spinning punches (her arms spin around like the blades of a windmill) that hit mid into a double handed strike which is also a mid hit, the last hit is pretty slow though so I think you’ll see people trying to cancel the last hit and throw.

The k+g,p,k is the crescent followed by two very fast punches (despite only pressing p once, her back is in an arc like when Akira does his b,f p+k) and a sweep.

CIRCULAR EVADE STANCE

You enter this stance by pressing d after the new b+k move it looks like she enters a very low LBF like crouch after the b+k.

As Pai enters the crouch like animation you can enter k (for a sweep) or k,k (for the sweep followed by butterfly kick)

Her p chains from this stance are basically her standard p chain stating at the second p (only you can’t do the slow mid kick,hopkick)

The p+k from this stance is a lifting knee type attack (looks like the second part of Lei Fang’s f+p,k from DOA, it looks like it would float but I haven’t connected it yet since the range is small and going into the CE stance with b+k seems to move you back somewhat.

The k+g,p from CE stance is a sweep followed by a slow double handed attack,looks like you could be mauled during execution and recovery.

Hope this proves somewhat usefull to some people /versus/images/icons/smile.gif I'm gonna get some more time later this week I'll test out more Aoi stuff this time so I'll report back if I find anything interesting (she seemed pretty awesome from what I played of her the other night.

Notes For GLC /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Pai Movelist

D/f+p,k is listed as LBF,?…..It’s an LBF followed by a mid crescent

K,p is listed as highkick, chop…..it’s a highkick, LBF

F,f+k+g is listed flipping double kick…..it’s more like a butterfly kick with long execution so I don’t know if you wanna change the name at all, may I suggest “really big butterfly kick of doom? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Pai’s CE stance k,k is listed as low kick heelkick….it’s actually sweep, butterfly kick

I know it’s a bit of a hassle to edit the list for such minor things, if you don’t have the time I could always edit the movelist myself and send it to you for approval?

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Nice report Doomboy!

In regard to Kage's wall attacks, he needs to be close to and facing a wall. I'm not sure if I mentioned that in my report, but it probably should be added to the FAQ too. (For GLC).

If all wall attacks are performed the same way, then there's no need to add the note for each character, just a general note under the system related stuff will suffice. But if some wall attacks are performed differently, then the requirement needs to be added to the each characters movelist.

3. dickson

dickson Active Member

Re: VF4 faq suggestion //wall attacks//

almost all characters have the same wall attacks (some only have one of them, like akira doesn't have the jump),

f+p+k+g: kick
    f/u+p+k+g: jump to the back of your opponent

but i never succeed in pulling out such move since i think one should be having the back against the wall ... but now you mention that it should be facing the wall?!

however, if it's the latter case, characters without a TA attack, the wall attack chance is rare ...

someone clarify me ...

4. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I should note that I'm not sure if Pai's LBF,k or the second k from k,p,k hits mid I just assumed since it was never ducked and the movelist says it's mid, though it kinda looks high to me.
    I'll test it tommorow /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by {Doomboy} on 10/08/01 05:38 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

To get into the flamingo you can use b+k (similar to Lee's b+lk from TTT), it says b+p+k in the movelist and b+k isn't listed so I think this is a typo unless there is a move b+p+k?

Both moves are listed, look closer. Everything else noted, thanks.

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

6. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

The Red Book says you must have you BACK to the wall, not the opposite.

7. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

There are four ways to enter the Flamingo.

Switch Kick = b+K
    Hydro Kick = P+K
    Double Rise Kick = b+P+K
    Setup Combination = df+PK

On a float, the Setup Combination (df+PK) should always be followed up with the Kickflip FL: u+K.

Cheers for giving more info on the Gatling Kick Beat (Kick Tornado).

Sarah must FACE the wall to do the wall moves.

There is no recovery time for Punch or Chop from the Flamingo. Try either Punch Side Kick (P,d+K) or Chop (df+P) to exit the stance as a poke.

Adio.

8. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Well, the red book is wrong in the case of Kage and a few other characters, because he definitely must face the wall.

Just to repeat, Kage's two wall attacks are f+P+K and f+P+K+G while facing a wall.

9. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Red Book is for ver.A. There should be another Arcadia book coming out shortly...

[​IMG]

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

They couldn't have made such a major mistake, nor make such a huge change in version B (none of the Japanese boards noted that) - it's probably that I'm translating it wrong ;)

11. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

A good thing about Pai's f+K,K is it's kinda slow but it also hits mid. A few times I was trying for the scissor kicks but wound up getting her f+K,K, which hit the opponent anyway. Does her new crescent really hit mid? I know it looks lower than her b+KG, but I can't recall a situation offhand where I deliberately used it on a crouching opponent.

12. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I think you're right that it hits high, I just saw it listed as mid in the movelist so I thought it must be correct but yeah it does look high,I'll try and get confirmation later.