1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 FINALLY HITS NEW YORK!!!!!

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Sudden_Death, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

yo!! its in fucking LASER PARK!!!, trevor told me they had it since last thursday, in a nice new cabinet, I'll go check it out now, its version B btw. it costs $1 to play (ouch!!) so I wont play it, I'll just look at it. too broke man. I hope the one in port authority gets it soon.

so, IT HAS BEGUN !!

2. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    It's true! IT"S DAMN TRUE!

Just got back from Lazer park playing. I walked in there today just for the
    hell of it. And there it was! I saw a friend who used to work there and he said
    they had it for almost 2 weeks. Shocked. I played 2 games then ran over to port
    A to look for Nelson(ghetto-shun) and pedro. I brought pedro along, Nelson was
    nowhere to be found.

We got there and played computer, I tried 2p side and was sorta busted. I had
    problems moving down.

I had a movelist from Arcadia and we tried out the new moves. We loved Wolf's
    new throws! Before I went back on I called up Sal and tried to get him to show
    but he said he'll show up tomorrow.

3. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Oh yeah, In case people don't know the location of Lazer Park.

It's located on 46th St right off the corner of 7th Ave. Its next to the TGIF.
    They have some retro games at the front like Millipede, Punch Out, Final fight.
    Downstairs is where the VF4 cabinet is at, right between CVS2 and Tekken 4.
    Its' almost perfect. Now if only i can get them to lower the price for one
    game. $1.00 for best of 3 rounds is a bit high. :(

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

You lucky bastards...

5. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Right, just north of Times Square. Time to start road trips!

Can one of you confirm the arcade's hours? I could be there Monday afternoon into late evening. Is Monday a good day to meet up with you guys? It's my day off.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yo Sal, hopefully I'll be able to go to NYC in the next week!

7. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Yupa, I am fairly sure that i have monday off - so i will most likely be there with CrewNYC (Andy), Hiro, Piccolo (Sal), and GhettoSHUN (Nelson).

Damn, i feel so.........................unprepared! I should've been paying attention to all those vf4 gameplay posts. I don't know SHIT! *gulp*

Hehehe...I'm getting excited about road-trips too!! Let the training begin - Woohooo!!!

8. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Adam-

At the very least you have your superior reflexes and better eye-hand coordination... I feel the same way... time to study up on what's been discussed already. See everyone on Monday then! =) I'll reply to this thread once I have a better idea of what exact time I'll be in the city and at the arcade.

9. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hey, where in the living hell has Nelson been? I know he's an uncle and all, but he still alive? (j/k)
    Get my PM?

10. Sudden_Death

well I played it today and everything sucked.

first the button layout is totally horizontal, BAD IDEA. this -will- kill your hands if your used to using thumb. and the start button is too close to the joystick and GPK buttons, why in the world would someone put the start button there!? it belongs in the top.

this is how its set up here:
    [​IMG]

second, the joystick is REALLY sensitive to the point of being frustrating,coulnd even get kage's d+p+k to come out consistently. you WILL get stuff out that you didnt meant to do. then there's the monitor, its a low res so its all blurry and stuff, vf4 stills looks damm good tho, i can only imagine how it would look on a high res... and finally, its a dollar to play, and IT HURTS. im hoping PA will get a vf4 soon cause I already gave up playing here. when you guys come down and play on monday I'll only be watching you play, i cant afford it.

11. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Hey Yupa,

NY has 2 locations that have vf4. Lazer park (shitty sticks/button layout/$1 per game) and Broadway City (don't know about condition of joystick but its $1.25), so choose your poison! ;)

Broadway City is W. 42nd Street (between 7th and 8th Aves.)

Piccolo will check out the joystick/button layout of Broadway City on Saturday and post his imprashunz, so we can choose an ideal location for our meet-up on Monday. I'd feel really bad that you came all the way to NYC to play vf4 and then both locations end up sporting shitty sticks.

12. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yep. If it's 3 out of 5 for $1.25 then that's not too bad... erm... yeah it is, especially since they're playing for $0.50 canadian up in Toronto now... :p I expect another artisitic joystick button layout rendering from Sal ;)

Shitty joysticks or not, I'm there on Monday. I just want to see this game. Learn something... I'm particularly interested in learning the tech roll/quick rise timing.

If you and the regular NY players come to a consensus that one location is better than the other, let me know, and we'll meet up there. I'm looking forward to meeting up with all of you again =)

13. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member

Monday, I'm there.
    Here we go again.

14. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

OK, I'm definately going to be in NYC on Monday afternoon around 12noon. Do you guys want to meet up at Broadway City? Sal, have you chkd the sticks/buttons out there? Can anyone comment on the controls at Broadway City? If the controls are bad, then I'd rather head over to Lazer Park where it's a little cheaper and I personally can deal with a horizontal button layout... remember this is my first time seeing VF4, I'd be happy to gawk at the demo mode for 30 mins or so at this point... ;)

Sal, Adam or Andy: could you PM me cell phone or beeper nos. that I can reach you guys at on Monday afternoon?

Thanks,
    Yupa

15. adamYUKI

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Yupa, I've just heard from my dizzog (Ghetto-SHUN) and he says that the sticks in Broadway City are fine. They are a LOT better than the krappola at Lazer Park. I don't mind spending $1.25 for good sticks - at least for a little while.

Andy and Nelson wont be there until shortly after 5, and I'm not sure about Hiro (he could be there before or after 5). However, Sal and I will be there at noon. Heh...but only you and I will be playing, as Sal is a broke mofo! ;>

See you on Monday!

16. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> Andy and Nelson wont be there until shortly after 5

Andy *does* know I'll be there, too, right?

17. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm swinging by Rich's place and dragging him down to NYC with me.

I look forward to seeing you at Broadway City around noon then =)

Make sure Sal shows up... check your private messages Sal.

18. Sudden_Death

well, I played today at the broadway city arcade and they had vf4 in a VF3 cabinet! hahaha, somehow i KNEW that was gonna happen. they didnt even bother replacing the marquee, they just slapped a number 4 on top of the 3 in the vf3 logo, that was so guetto. Im actually glad they went with this set up as that would mean button layout the way it was meant to be. I really enjoyed myself this time around as the controls were dead on, the layout of the buttons on the 2P side is PERFECT!!!!. coulnd ask for anything better. the 1P side is still good but the layout isnt as perfect as the 2P side. yep, here's another artist rendition /versus/images/icons/wink.gif :
    [​IMG]

i dont get why they keep doing this to VF games here in usa, they never seem to get the 1p and 2p sides equally matched. another thing was how long the sticks were, this suckers are long, i think 3 inches long (might be wrong). they just seem long to me, but it was ok, almost every move i did came out just fine, just a little getting used to and you be doing spods like nothing. the sound is LOUD and im thankful for that, when u hit the wall you feel that shit, BUT one annoying thing this arcade has is -extremely loud- music playing all night long (i dont think they play music at day time, i could be very wrong tho). I really hate that, the sounds effects you could hear them nicely and all but the ingame background music is not as loud, if there was no music in this arcade you could appeciate the ingame music with no problem. the monitor....this is a lot better than the one at laser park. in this one the colors seem more brighter and sharper, but i think there was some color bleeding and some blurryness. you get a feeling of how much better this game would look on a real high res VGA monitor. also, maybe it was me but after seeing the one at laser park....when i first saw it, the characters looked a bit "long" as if the monitor was in wrong ratio proportion. but as I kept on playing, i got used to it and it seem fine. i think there was some "burn in" in the top left of the screen, I remeber seeing that when i played vf3, so that means they're using a very old monitor. and lastly.....the money issue... this guys know how to rip you off. its a $1.25, but you see, you have to put money into cards from machines located throught out the arcade. but the machines dont take quaters!!, so you cant put $1.25 in your card, you have to buy a $2 card, if you play youl'll have 75c left, you cant add another 50cents!! you HAVE to put dollards, the only way to add exact change is going to the cashiers in the arcade (very annoying thing to do). that aside, i really liked vf4, im getting a better grasp of the throwing range now. cpu gives you a nice challenge in the later stages. i finally reached dural btw, cool shit. (in the records it showed i was the only one that beat the game, so you'll see -sal- in the clear game screen, and noone else hahah /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ).

ps. its tempting to play, but i'll wait till PA gets it (its guaranteed 50 cents per play). I'll be there on monday anyway, watching.. heheh.

daaam that was a long post.

19. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

Re: the artist formerly known as piccolo

Thanks a bunch Sal! Now I know this trip won't be a waste.
    Like I said previously, price per game isn't a consideration for me right now... I just want to see and play damnit. I remember paying $2.00 or $2.50 canadian when VF3 first came out in Toronto at Playdium... :p When VF4 does show up at the port authority arcade, let us know. Playing at PA would really be convenient for me too, because I can get free bus tickets or I may try out Amtrak's service out of Providence... VF4 monday nights in NYC could be a reality just like the guys are discussing out in LA... =)
    See you monday!

20. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

We have 5 machines scattered around the city. Four of them are a 50 cents, and one at $1 (although the one at a loonie is a sweet Japanese Versus City. Nicest sticks you've ever played on). When are you and Rich going to stop by TO and play VF for what amounts to 30 cents a game for you guys? BigCat was by on the weekend and ot was a blast!

cheers,
    kbcat -- have fun on Monday gang (that gang is for everyone concerned -- Yupa, Rich, and the whole NYC Crew)!