1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 for PS2 in Fall (or so I hear)

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Chanchai, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hmm, PS2 eh? But it's an early home version (though I'd rather have a strong arcade scene). Let's see how it goes and if it's true, well, guess that's the reason to get the PS2 for me besides MGS2 and Winning Eleven 5. Oh yeah, it's said to be in production from the ground up.

I do support the Gamecube and all, and probably would rather have it on that platform. Though only if a suitable stick comes out for Gamecube. No offense, but I can't stand the sight of the Gamecube controller.

-Chanchai

2. earMuff

earMuff Member

I hope they port it to the xbox, because the ps2 is so damn expensive and I don't believe it's worth my money (yeah I'm saying my money is better than everyone else's :p). Ok, sure it will cost a bit less when VF4 comes out but still. Well I'll probably buy it anyway just to get my hands on vf4. Depends if the game is any good at all, you just don't know. Maybe Yu got struck in the head by a big metallic ball that fell from the sky and now tells the designers that Pai should have three arms and a special move that make her fly around the stage before dropping miniShuns all over the place and thus RO'ing the opponent. Or make Akira shoot green fire balls from his armpits. Yeah and Taka will transform into a hawk and fly into the perfect storm (symbolism at its highest peak).

My mom always said life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what your'e gonna get.

Well is guess that's my 2 cents, how much is that in swedish crowns? ;P

3. Guest

Guest Guest

yo
    SummErs here

Heck..now i have to buy a PS2 and play it everyday.
    The only backlash I'll get is for playing PS2 on a daily basis...with my friends laughing cause they know how much I dislike sony.

<font color=red> SummErs "faster than lighting"

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Virtua Fighter 4 is Exclusive for PS2! ( according to ps2.ign.com)
    further, xbox will be more expensive than ps2, because it contains Hard Disc Drive.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

At least Sega's in full focus of its identity as a software developer, but more specifically, as an arcade developer. Something that the Toronto guys (well, GE and Llanfair anyways) have pretty much always stressed as a good thing. I agree with them of course, but at the same time, just have so much treasuring towards at least the Saturn and the Dreamcast (I got into Genesis late, was a Nintendo fanatic before VF2), as far as treasuring a console goes anyways. Then again, I gotta admit that I still love my NES, SNES, and Turbo Duo also/images/icons/smile.gif

I hope Andromeda Team is still around. Doesn't seem like it, but I'm just craving for another Panzer Dragoon game.

Anyways, I guess we can now look at it this way... Hoping VF-4 retains the classic VF feel, enhances it further, just totally blows us away and we end up liking it. Given that, the prospects of it going to a mainstream system if not more than one system should be good, right? Let's hope.

Of course... it could also turn sites like this into many a Tekken forum (though these days it has gotten better as the stereotypical gangbanger Tekken majority are weeded out by now and it's mostly the Tekken purists that are left to that series until the next installment). Will we be able to handle that? Just a silly question.

Also, on a side note. Exclusive doesn't mean all that much except that there's usually a timelimit as opposed to eternally exclusive. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 as well as Metal Gear Solid were Playstation exclusive titles. Resident Evil was a PSX exclusive. And in dumber examples (because of the amount of time before being ported), Final Fantasy 1-6 were practically exclusive to the Nintendo systems. Exclusive is just a form of a contract deal, and the word alone doesn't mean much. Of course, that doesn't mean much if we all want a port of VF-4 ASAP. Of course, there's also going to be the bunch of us that no matter what, will like the arcade one better (still doesn't mean we won't get a home version... for me, home versions are for training; arcades are for community, competition, and shared enjoyment).

We'll finally know what's intact, new, radically different, and held back in less than a month's time now. All of us have our own sets of expectations of VF4, we'll have to wait and see...

-Chanchai

P.S. Face it, how many of us here actually have a PSX? How many of the Sega diehards have a PSX? I'm pretty sure a lot. I don't treasure my PSX as much as my Saturn, but I still went out and bought one for at least 5 games out there. It was practically inevitable that I would get a PS2 as well. Oh well, guess it's time to go rig some homemade arcade sticks for the PS2/PSX format...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I hope this official word from sega u.s isn't true. How can sega betrail his fans. sega fan's bought a DC ( and naomi2 is a Dc with more Ram), and they won't even make a Dc port or maybe port it later.!!!! Shame on you sega. What about GC and Xbox they are a lot more powerful then the 4MB Ram console from sony( i read interviews with programmers who where quite iritated about the PS2, comparing it with GC and XboX)..why the PS2, there is so much competition on that machine(Tekken,SC2,DA2,Beastarizor.....) while on GC and on xbox there aren't or there wont be any decent competition!!!!! well if Sega brings VF4 exclusive only on PS2 then fuck off, then sega isn't any more what they where............quality on qualityhardware!!!!!!!!!
    how much money does sony pay or what else makes somone take such stupid decissions.bring sonic 2 on PS2 it would be a much wiser choice.
    well I WON'T BUY SUCH A WEAK MULTIMEDIA CONSOLE.Iprefer playing VF3 on DC or VF4 on the more powerful naomi2(as PS2) even if I have to fly to London. I already decided to buy the cheap Gamecube and I won't buy that Expensive(350 dollars, here) garbage!!!!!!!!

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I think the decision to port it to the PS2 is a good done. The reason it is better to port it to the PS2 instead of the X-box is that the PS2 success is almost guaranteed as where the X-box is questionable. I still dont think the market will support 4 systems. I just hope someone brings out a decent arcade stick or I am going to have to devolop some basic carpentry and electronic skills

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

8. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

hey nascar, you seem pretty adament about flying to london to play VF4. let me know if and when you intend to go well in advance and we can meet up and play.
    - phil
    oh, and well in advance doesn't mean two days before the flight :p

9. Guest

Guest Guest

VF4 with 4mb of ram. *HURL*

like someone else said, its going to look pretty bad with the 4mb ram. can you imagine? (unless they figure out how to stream per frame which some people hypothesized was possible at the beginning but noone has done, not even for mgs2 and those popular car racing ones)

this is going to be one fucked up looking virtua fighter game.

VF4 with lower res textuers than VF3 (plus jaggies too i guess.)

i always thought the next in the series would have really great high quality textures, to make it look photorealistic.

dont kid yourself, if you WILL notice the bad textuer quality when this thing comes out.

(waiting for someone to say its all about gameplay, yeah thats what i think. but this is just perverted/)

10. hamand

hamand Member

I know the popular gaming press can't wait to put out stories of the "dozens of coders" who dislike the ps2, but behind much of that bandwagon jumping there's an element of truth. The only thing I've been impressed by on ps2 is Metal Gear and yes, that's not been released, but it gives some indication of the machine's power.
    I think VF4 can be well placed on the machine, if the programmers get it right. First generation software is always pretty terrible and in the ps2's case this may continue for awhile. I draw your attention to the two articles on:
    http://arstechnica.com/paedia/3dtech.html

which are reasonably technical (I'm a programmer so forgive me if it goes over anyone's head) and explain the considerably different way in which ps2 solves the general computing problem. Basically, a radically different approach to coding is necessary. I think this is perhaps why some coders are finding the transition complex - their existing methods and libraries are ill suited to the underlying hardware design. Apply the old school approach to the ps2 and the machine maxes out (which explains why much of the current software looks sub Dreamcast) but apply the vector model of thinking and the machine will sing and dance all day and all of the night.
    I warm to the news that AMD2 are starting the development from scratch on ps2. If they applied the Naomi2 code to the psx2 we'd see a pretty average piece of software; I'm hoping they'll be utilising every iota of power available to them and that we'll see a leap comparable to VF3 over VF2.
    Yes, it's a shame that this situation has arisen, but let's make the best of a bad thing.

11. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm..well, it will be better on the PSX2 than it could of been on the dreamcast...and who knows..maybe sega will fight back with a concel after they pay their depts...

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey chancai
    SummErs here
    The REALLY good thing about having VF4 on the PS2?
    The game can finally be brought to the mass market.
    Yu and Sega always wanted the game to be more than just a hit in Japan....
    N PS2 is the way to go.

Plus...Sega is the NO 1 software provider in the industry.
    HardcoreGamers know it...
    Developers know it...

So, finally Sega can be known for what it is best at.

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I don't know about you guys, but I'm impressed by the dramatic progress the visual power of Dreamcast games from the first generation of software to the current batch.

Just compare Sengoku Turb with Eternal Arcadia! The difference is staggering.

There is no real good reason we can't expect the same for the PS2. The momentum for the machine is there, ensuring programmers will continue to try and master the hardware. It's difficult to program for, so we can assume that what we've seen so far isn't supposed to scratch the surface of what the machine is capable of.

True, VF4 may be AM2's first game, but is there any doubt they've been studying PS2 hardware for some time??

ice-9