1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 for PS2 Perfect Guide

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Bronze Parrot, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

2. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Looks great inded, I had a Jap strategy guide for VF3 arcade way long time ago, the strats was of course all in japanese, but all the move list where there with pictures for eatch move, as it was pretty hard to find moves and strategy guides on the internet in early 1997.

3. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

Now all we need is a translator...

4. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: VF4 for PS2 Perfect Guide English

available as a bundle at us.playstation for shipment of English/ American version in a few weeks...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.us.playstation.com/product_detail/product_detail.jhtml?CATID=102&PRODID=332888>http://www.us.playstation.com/product_detail/product_detail.jhtml?CATID=102&PRODID=332888</a>

5. mushen

mushen Well-Known Member

I don't mean to sound like a "hater" or anything, but I really doubt the "official strategy guide" will have anything as comprehensive as the faqs on this page or the discussions on this forum. Maybe at most, it will have a movelist and I bet it won't even be complete. Definitely it will not have the frame rates. I seriously doubt it will discuss MC or mC or buffering, inashi, sabaki, okizame, ways of getting up, stuns, staggers, stumbles, crumbles, break falling.. oh mang.. the list goes on and on.

But I could be wrong, and if they did cover those topics, I still wouldn't get it. =) Ok, maybe I am just a hater.

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with you there. Prima guides for fighting games are not particularly insightful or informative. A far cry from the Arcadia (formerly Gamest) and Softbank books available for VF4, and forum/website resources as well...

7. kbelanger

kbelanger Member

"Prima guides for fighting games are not particularly insightful or informative. A far cry from the Arcadia (formerly Gamest) and Softbank books available for VF4"

Are books from Arcadia and Softbank for VF4 available in English (my knowledge in Japanese is non existant, as opposed to some people on the board - which I envy)? If so, where could I get them?

Thanks ahead

8. Triple Lei

Triple Lei Well-Known Member

Gah, I thought you were talking about the Versus Books brand of Perfect Guides.

I used to have faith in them until the Tekken Tag book by Versus Books came out... only 1/9th of their material was able to be used, which sucked beyond belief. Combos were cut, Japanese tricks were cut... it was just a big disappointment.

And Prima guides are just the worst. Laughably bad.

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Prima fighting games are sad in general. But I purchased the VF3 American guides for collector's sake.

Embarassing moment at NYG2 was that I brought my Bradygames guide (as sad as the Prima guides) for the sake of the movelists since I didn't really know the VF3tb movelists completely at that time and it would be easier to read on the spot than a printed faq movelist. I was a bit embarassed when Mr. Bungle and Peter (R.) from Boston started looking at them. Naturally we all criticized the content (or lack thereof) of the guide. They were cool about me bringing it and all, but it was just sort of embarassing because I definitely don't use those guides for content.

Regarding expectations of the VF4 Prima Guide... I figure the extent of the content will be what's covered in the training mode, if even that. Who knows, maybe they'll ultimately be lazy and have an advanced section that contains one sentence: "Try out the various training modes in VF4 to learn advanced techniques!"

-Chanchai

PS Was it a Prima rep or a Bradygames rep that came onto the forums asking for advice to put into the guidebook? The person actually had access to the Gamest Mooks and what not too, and said that he/she was doing translation work, if i recall. I'm pretty sure Prima or Bradygames would never allow the resources for as many pages in english as it would probably take to cover 1/5th of what would be in a single volume mook. Sigh... too lazy to do a search.

10. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member