1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 impression as pf May16th

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 16, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ok its neogamer, but im posting this from outside, so i forgot my password and stuff. anyways, played it a cpl more times today. And guess what? I won! whopee. I defeated a 6winning streak Aoi today, which made me feel good!

but enough about me. Lets talk about the game. There are many negative reviews or pessimestic thoughts about the game so far, except the gfx. Well, that was how ppl reacted when VF3 came out, and look at how many liked it.

Anyways, what is different about it excpet the gfx? well 3 had 2 distinctive points that made it completely different from 1 and 2. Angulation and E button. The E button, kinda remains. The E tech is done by either pressing up twice (or down twice) and P. So in fact, u cant jump, well u can. It's up and P or k. So dont despair, jump-lovers. Now hte other factor is completely gone, angulation system. When i first played VF3, this was oen big thing. depending on the stages, combos were different, tactics were different, etc. And at the end, hadcore gamers were so tired of it that they chose Akira stage all the time. Well forget that. In this one, no angulation, so no variables. The difference u get in stages is that of walls. Yes there are walls. so u wont get RO out easily each time. It will stay intact. But some walls (perhaps all) are breakabale. after a few shocks, it will break and u will be ROed.

Oh, another change in the system is the wake-up. Previously u had rolls, spring up and slow-wake. Now theres a new command for instant wake up. When u fall and about to hit the ground, P+K+G, itlll do an instantaneous sprign up, so no stomps will be able to hit u. I found this system pretty good especially when it cames to time when u had a little life left and u got knocked off your feet. the opponnent would usually finish u off w/ a stomp or those down-moves. But with this u can instantly spring up and attack them whilst their still trying to finish the move. I managed to RO the opp when i only had a margin of life left.

The other cool system is evade-attacks. Lion and Shun had something like this in 3. An attack whilst evading. Well now everyone has it. the command is Evade(up-up or down-down) and P+K+G. But those characters with a lower throw better watch out. If u dont do the command properly, a low throw will be performed and u r left vulnerable.

the card system
    IT ROCKS. im sorry, but this has got to be the best part of VF4. Not the gfx, but VF.net. it is just awesome. It tells u who u have previously fought, all statics like how many times u managed to dodge attacks, etc. and also your Ring name. So each VF-er will have their own ID and be able to place themselves somewhere on the web or VF. Ill talk about this more later. Oh yeah, the card itself is like a credit card and pretty cool.

neogamer

2. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Do you know if this "instant wake up" is possible all the time?,I'm worried they'll be no ura or oki in VF4.....to me this was one of the defining features of VF that other games have neglected and I'd hate to see it gone.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

oh, the low kicks are still low kicks. u cant block up. this is irritating

about the card, well, if u do a 4-winning streak, u can go up a level, from 10-kyu to 9 and soforth. Once u do tons of winning streak, u goto Dan, then meijin i suppose, i havent seen this yet. U also gather experience points which allows u to get items. This guy with a winning ratio of 80:11 (80 wins and 11 losses, wow) had this hannya mask ( a demon mask of japan, for a pic, search the wb pls) and it was pretty freaky. Oh yeah, almost forgot. your registered ring name will be under the health gauge.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

well, so far it only seems possible when u fall head away and back down. if u fall face first, i dont think it was possible, havent tried sorry. There still is oki-zeme, a pai-using chick did the ura-mawari with the 9K. Also, this instant wake up is a spring up, so it becomes more vulnerbale to non-stomps or down attacks, i.e. kick or throw, i suppose.

also, this version is a loc-test version, so all twisting moves, like Lau and Pai's 2K+G will go right through the oppoenent, where as it would have stopped in 3. Hope they fix this as well

neogamer

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

So does the 8 way run system( or whatever it's called) work well and how fast is the movement are they dashes or slow walks ala Soul Caliber. Can you cancel the dodges into each other? Is there any way to crouch dash? Do all the throws have the same execution time or is it longer depending on the effectivness of the throw?

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

6. Guest

Guest Guest

1)well, its more like E in VF3, u only can move a certain distance at once. It doesnt freely move like SC or tobal

2)speed is like VF3

3)I couldnt recall if korean step was possible.

4) u could not back-crouch dash, but front crouch dash is available and is on the instuction sheet. its the same as usual which is 66

5)i only used wolf, so cant really answer that one, sorry, but evade-attacks (22P+K+G) are a bit slow. its like the 66P+G in VF3

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"4) u could not back-crouch dash, but front crouch dash is available and is on the instuction sheet. its the same as usual which is 66"

- shouldn't that be 3,3?

8. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Thanks I am relieved you can CD. So after all the hype you can't move freely good I'll take good old fashioned VF over Soul Caliber anyday. How exactly do those charge attacks work and are they effective? So does Shun still have his special dodge it would probally be 9,9 correct? one last question how does the speed changes in characters(you know that thing where heavy's are slower but stronger) effect game play? Sorry about all the questions but I am dying to know about VF4 and the mainsteam game media is not satisfying my curiosity.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

9. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    When you get items, where are they? On the screen, on your cell phone, does the character wear the mask? I'm really hoping they include the whole card thing over here.

Spotlite

10. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Hey neo, awesome to hear a gamer's impressions - thanks!

Is there anything in the gameplay resemling Pai and Lau's inashi-like fight sequence in the demo movie?

Do any or many of the characters have stance-changes - not foot-stance changes but real stance changes (yes, like in Tekken) - that allow them to use a different set of moves? I heard the Monk did atleast.

Are there many new moves?

- Jan

11. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> Well, that was how ppl reacted when VF3 came out, and look at how many liked it.

when news of vf3 started to trickle in the general mood of people was split pretty evenly between fear/uncertainity and generally positive thoughts. and most of the fear was regarding how people's skill and general approach would transfer from the older game to the new.

fear and uncertainity is different from how people are reacting now, most of which is outright disgust or desperate rationalizing.

maybe i'm guilty of the latter but i'm beginning to lighten up. speculation on what the playable version will be like is pointless and although i feel let down in a big way by the lack of irregular stages (people seem to forget that undulation wasn't the only thing about the arenas in vf3 that set it apart from other the stages in other games), i can live with that, and i suppose i would actually welcome a faster, more attack based, more aggressive game. and just in general i'd like to see suzuki's fourth interpretation of the game.

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Like u, VF4 looks to be totally different from what I envisioned...

I admit it's a let down...good or bad I dun know yet.

That's why nowadays when reports of the game surfaces...I just read itm and "shrug".

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

13. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

hey chen, can you please reconfim some stuff for us?

1) wolf"s throws execute as fast as his f,f+p+g catch throw?!

2) what do you mean by "u,u or d,d and P" stuff? do you need the P to dodge? dodging is just u,u or d,d right?

3) is there anything different about vf4's movement system compared to vf3? any new way to move around in 3d space?

4) is the evade attack more useful than, say, dodge -> short shoulder?

you are a lucky bastard to have played vf4 you know that.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

yes, u r right, me sorry
    its a 33

15. Guest

Guest Guest

1) well, most throws seemed to be as fast as throws in VF3, meaning 0 frames to throw opponents. i dont really know what the strict system is. lots of rumors and stuffs...

2)typo, just uu or dd

3)not that i recall of. The loc-test was a winner-stay on format, so everybody was dying to stay on the machines, so they played a VF3-esque technique. although some ppl did E a lot, and whenever they performed it, they seemed to have evaded a straight-line attack. So i suppose the escape-ness has increased, allowing u to dodge more

4) the evade attack is o 2-frame command and powerful (for wolf as of now, no one else used it) it takes away as much as a throw did, perhaps more. I also did it by mistake and pressed P+G, dunno why, but that seemed to have cancelled the evade attack and became a normal P+G. This means that u can do the evade attack, cancel it and do a more powerful attack (not confirmed)

Im a lucky bastard

16. Guest

Guest Guest

i didnt win as much as to be able to use the item, but the instructions at the loc-test told me a bit. First, u can confirm it via celly, then u can set the character to wear it, then the character wears it at the game.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

oh yeah, every character has a charge moves, meaning u hold onto the buttons and it will charge up, making the damage bigger. For wolf it was the shoulder attack (46P, hold onto P)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

im sorry but there werent that many Lau users at the test, so i couldnt see much of a inashi. However, last weeks Fami-tsu had some new moves that resembled inashi-styles of several characters (wolf also got one).

Aoi had this weird stance change, when the move is excecuted, she will pose, and if u try to hit her then she will counter-attack u (not really an inashi). No one used the monk so cant help u there

Jacky had some thing like that if my memory is still functioning. He raises a leg and will do either a low, middle or high. but im not really sure, so i have to get back on that one

19. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Hey neogamer just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for all the info,nice to hear about VF4 from someone who actually plays the game and doesn't try to make you pay money for the info "boo Ign" : )

20. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Damn right...
    Fucking IGN actually wants us to subscribe to that insider crap....pay to read news online?
    what the hell ~! /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'