1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 In Paris

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Fishie, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Just came back from Paris , several arcades have VF4 .
    La tete dans le nuages has FOUR of em .
    3 Standard Naomi ones and one build into a giant sit down Megalo 50 .
    This game embodies everything I like about gaming .
    Sweet life giving nectar .

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info about the cabinet types!

(Boy do I miss the SuperMegalo 50s)

[​IMG]

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Lucky....bastard.............

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Lucky bastard ?
    Umm you do not wanna know how much trouble I had to undertake to just get there , or how much I had to spend for that matter .
    You guys had version A for a while , this was my first opportunity to play it and I had to take the bullet train to get there .

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I don't think the U.S. ever had Version A, only the test version. And when the test version was in Cali I was in Hong Kong, bleh.

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ice-9: Yeah, but you got to play VF4test in HK too!

Almaci: How long is the bullet train ride? And how much does it cost? Just curious...

[​IMG]

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

For only 5 hours!!!!! sniff sniff

8. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

The bullet train ride is about 1 and a half houres ( faster then goin with a plane ) and takes you in the middle of Paris ( north station ) if ypu buy a ticket months in advance its just under 50 dollars , iff you buy it at the spot cheapest is around 70 ( roundway )
    Oh BTW the La tete dans le nuages arcade is my favourite arcade in the world ( have been to a lot of arcades worldwide ) .
    It houses a videogamestore a McDonalds restaurant and a 50 fps thrill ride cinema with killer sound .
    Its below ground level and kicks serious ass .
    Clean spacey ( the machines are far enough from eachother so elbows wont clash ) lots of light and not much noise .

The VF4 machines there were set on 3 rounds against CPU as well as 3 rounds against other players .

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I forgot to ask this from the UK players but -- how are the sticks? Japan-style or Western-style?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

They're ball style sticks, one part moulded, if that makes sense. The standard Japanese sticks are usually two parts, with the ball attached to the shaft, think DC (Agetech in the US?) style. The arcade where the game is sited has a preference for the sticks as described on the VF4 machine. Most of the games there use these control setups.

Also VF4 is housed in a 50" old cabinet, not Megalo though.

11. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

What about the button set up?

12. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Yeah, la tete dans les nuages is a really cool arcade. I was there last year when I was in Paris with my family. Much better than the arcades here in Copenhagen. Still waiting for word about VF4 release here, last I heard it wasn't good news :(

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Buttons are similar to those on the Japanese cabinets, low travel, minimal press. Also their arrangement is similar, in that thumb is used for guard and the fingers for punch and kick, if you play that way ofcourse.

No colour-coded buttons so far, maybe on the full dedicated Naomi set ups if and when they appear. By this I mean the official VF3 cabinets used green for guard, yellow for punch and kick, and red for dodge. If they colour code them for VF4 they should be the same as they were for VF2, I think pink, green and blue. Helps first time player adjust to the button scheme in relation to cabinet instructions for moves and movement.

I'm wondering just how many full set ups (meaning game and cabinet) get released for VF4 here in the UK. The previous games of the series were sold as a whole unit, but VF4 is readily available in kit form (somewhere in the region of 3500-4000 pounds, about $5,600). This could lead to a lot of VF4s running on sub standard cabinets, when looking at equipment in use at most of London's arcades that might be used to house the game.

Hopefully some of the bigger amusement centres will buy the whole setup. This series of games is a work of art, the equipment should be up to standard to do the product proud.

14. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

I agree .
    In La tete dans le nuages 3 were running on the Naomi universal cabinet original set up ( actually its the naomi universal cabinet so the outside remains the same , change the marquee and add the stickers to the sides and you can make anny Naomi universal cabinet look like the dedicated VF4 cabinet , bah )
    And the fourth one was on a Megalo .