1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Kage's elbow

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Myke, Oct 6, 2001.

1. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    b+P+K will not reverse mid. But like I said, if you have high and mid, there's really no reason to use b+P+K; unless you want to be absolutely sure you're hitting high, or to be hardcore ;).

Creed, actually in the arcade, DOA2's reversal system is more complex even than VF's.

Spotlite

2. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Heh, that's strange; Sega should've just gotten rid of the d/b+P+K command and make b+P+K reverse both high and mid for all characters. That would've been much simpler and avoided confusion.

As for DOA2, I refuse to play it the PS2/DC version, arcade set up is the way to go.

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

About db+P+K as high&mid reversal..... in my mind: "UGGGGHHHHH!!!" but I guess it'll be good. Just annoying. At least reversals have generally had somewhat strict timings, but still...

DoA2: Jeff, do you mean you refuse to play the game on DC or PS2 control settings? I play the game on Arcade settings (and make sure that it applies to all four controllers whenever I do play). In terms of that particular game.... I HATE universal mid reversals in DoA2, thank goodness it's split on the arcade control scheme (mid punch and mid kick being separate reversal inputs). Kinda funny how my friends stopped thinking they were so good at DoA2 when I changed it to arcade control scheme (plus a movement button of course). I was sick of all the mashing the backwards directions with Hold for "wheel-of-reversals upon being hit" crap.

-Chanchai

4. Shunson

Shunson New Member

Hi,

I was wondering if you knew what link to I could go to for the Dragon JiJi Shun vs. Segul Wolf movies? I used the "search" function for the forum, but it didn't come up with any results.

Thanks,

Shunson

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Try this: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.clandxm.com/vf4/media.html>VF4fx [media]</A>

[​IMG]

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Jeff, I can't believe I'm reading that from you....I can't stand any attempts to make vf simpler than the vf4 incarnation....I can't believe there are AUTOMATIC reversals, but making it easier to do command reversals...yuck. I agree with you on DOA2's reversal system...though I still found it waaaaay to easy.

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm alright with making reversals a little stronger. It'll give my Kage a chance to throw more.

8. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

actually,

I think that reversals are really weak in the past VFs. Good players do not use reversals (at least not a lot) as it is really tough to get it right. If you are sure enough to execute a reversal, there are better options, IMHO. It is better to power up the reversal, make it less risky.

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

VF2 had option select reversals where you got a high/low punch instead of the whiffed reversal animation seen in VF3/4. Reversals just happened for VF2 Akira and Kage players. You didn't always intentionally try to do them.

Re: better options than a reversal
    Yeah! If you have time to reverse, then you have time to dodge major counter float combo... Wham! Any character can do that.

Getting your attacks reversed, however, is demoralising. I think it will be less demoralising in VF4 with the simplified reverse system described above... :meh:

--
    "VF is the resonance AND the wonder." GodEater

10. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Getting your attacks reversed, however, is demoralising"

Ah Yupa..I dunno what the popular opinion of reversing is..but I personally concentrate alot on it...exactly for the reason u mentioned /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

11. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Getting your attacks reversed, however, is demoralising. I think it will be less demoralising in VF4 with the simplified reverse system described above...

I agree. It's a little like letting the opponent know "I've taken that option away, now you'll have to think of another response." Like SummErs, I try to play for reversals (especially with Aoi), not only for damage, but to get a little bit of a mental edge on the opponent.
    I think the new reversal system has gotten too simple (and a little cheesy), but I can live with it. That combined with double command throw escapes takes away a decent number of options. This might have been mentioned before, but it makes option select a little easier than in VF3tb. Now reversal throw escape would be:
    db+P+K ->P+G or db+P+K ->df+P+G ->f+P+G (vs. Lau),
    which would reverse most high and mid attacks, and escape df, df+P+G, f+P+G, and b, f+P+G.

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=orange>DOG</font color=orange>

12. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Hmm, I just tested the reversals out with Jason Cha last night, using Kage and Pai and Akira. Couldn't get the db+P+K to work against high attacks. Also couldn't get b+P+K to work against midlevel attacks.

Specifically, b+P+K didn't reverse singlepalm or the second hit of Lion's f+P,P (needed db+P+K). db+P+K didn't reverse standing P, standing K, standing palm...

Note that this was on a VF4test machine. But... what's going on here?

[​IMG]

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Reversals

Same deal here regarding reversals.

I tested it for a second time tonight and get the same results I mentioned before, and Chris has backed this up on the test version FWIW.

The tests I performed were with Kage. I had a friend perform the same punch attack and I tried reversing with both b and db+P+K. Here are the results:

- Akira's standing P (hits high) could only be reversed with b+P+K
    - Akira's Singe Palm (special mid) could only be reversed with db+P+K
    - Sarah's chop (hits high) could only be reversed with b+P+K

This rumour started off in the Mook, and I believe the Red Book mentions the same thing. I've been talking to Dickson about it, and he tells me the wording in the mook is:

under the same diagram
    >> reverse high and mid K : b (or db) +P+K

under another diagram
    >> reverse mid K: db+P+K

They mention the exact same thing for punch reversals. Why they feel the need to mention "high and mid reversals" and then "mid reversals" separately is a mystery to me.

Dickson is still sure that he reversed a high P with db+P+K, but I never once could confirm this with Kage. Maybe it was a typo (wouldn't be the first time) or something was lost in the translation, a nuance in the grammar... I don't know. As far as I'm concerned though, reversals have not been dumbed down.

Believe those who've played it, or believe a magazine. Your choice, but you have been warned :)

14. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

In addition to what Chris and Myke have tested regarding the attack levels, is it just me or has the timing changed since 3? It just seems harder overall to pull one off. I could be wrong but in 3 it felt like you could get the reversal if the command was inputted at roughly the same time, whereas in 4 it feels almost as if you have to delay it ever so slightly.

15. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just used to reversing all the time
    It feels just like the same for me.

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

16. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Re: Reversals

Wow, now I'm really confused!!!

Myke, I'd imagine that they list those two commands separately in a case like Wolf's Dragon Screw/ Captured.

While I'm assuming going on your/Feixa Q's posts that the Captured can now reverse High kicks that hit mid with d/b+P+K (like Sarah's Toe Kick maybe?), Wolf can never reverse a High Kick with his Dragon Screw. I think it has mainly to do with the different animations.

I'm really lost, if all this is true. Sorry if I misled y'all and made things more confusing. So now we actually have 4 types of reversals? High (b+P+K), Mid High (d/b+P+K), Mid (d/b+P+K), and Low (d+P+K)? Suddenly it seems like things have been made more complex, not dumbed down.

I also agree that reversals are a good psycological weapon. Nothing better than nailing Akira's low punch reversal 2 or 3 times in one round. But now I feel like someone just did it to me!

Spotlite

17. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> 4 types of reversals? High (b+P+K), Mid High (d/b+P+K), Mid (d/b+P+K), and Low (d+P+K)?

Um, no? A horse is a horse...

If Kage does db+P+K to reverse a mid move, he's reversing a mid move. "Mid High"?

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

18. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think he means that some attacks 'look' kinda like a high reversal but under the new system are a executed with d/b+P+K since they hit mid.
    For example in VF3 if Akira reverses Jerky's f,f+K puntkick, you get
    the "block, duck, and elbow to the midsection" animation. That's Akira's default high kick reversal animation. Let's call that animation A.
    If he reverses a sidekick you get either the "block, spin around, and smash with the opposite elbow" animation or the "block with the upper arm and elbow with the same arm" one. Let's call either of these animation B.

What spot's saying is "this may mean that if you use d/b+P+K to reverse a midlevel kick in 4, you get either animation A or animation B depending on whether it was a sidekick-type midlevel or a puntkick type midlevel" ... in other words the same d/b+P+K command may now result in three possible animations, depeding on the type of kick. Before it was only two.

Aaaanyway, if that was clear, I don't think that there's a need to make a category for the different reversal types just because you get both several animations out of the same reversal. There's just one mid reversal with differing animations.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

19. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Uh.. .. ...

I don't buy that crap. It's still a mid reversal for a mid attack with the mid reversal command - db+P+K.

As you said, there's no need to overcomplicate things.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

20. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

I have tested reversals with Aoi, and I get the same results... if it's a high attack it must be reversed with b+P+K. Mid attacks with db+P+K.

If the Red Book is anything like the Black Book then when they say High/Mid kicks they mean high kicks like the kick in PK, and mid kicks like Jacky's punt. When they say Mid Kick alone they mean side kicks.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that reversing Jackys Punt (with db+P+K) and reversing Akira's kick of PK (with b+P+K). Leads to exactly the same animation (traditional high kick reverse) -- so technically it's the same move.

cheers,
    kbcat!