1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Looks and Comparison

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, Mar 2, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Whoa, if you are correct you have a very compelling argument!

My take on the issue though is that it is Nvidia that should be applauded for such aggressive hardware improvements (and Microsoft for its audacity and bravery if it can deliver on promises) as opposed to overtly criticizing Sega for wanting to keep costs low for arcade operators by ensuring backwards compatibility from Naomi 2 -> Naomi a la PS2 -> PS1.

In the end though, it's the software that can take advantage of the hardware that really counts. PCs have been more powerful than consoles for most of the time; yet how often do we see PC software that outperforms the comparative console software? Are there any PC games sweeter looking than TTT, PSO or SOA?

ice-9<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ice-9 on 03/04/01 01:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    "Are there any PC games sweeter looking than TTT, PSO or SOA?"

Nope.

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ice-9, Your comparison between pc and console is flawed. I am assuming your comment of “PC have been more powerful than console†meaning in term of raw processing power, and “console outperforms pc software†graphically. By using the word outperform you are comparing apples and oranges. Someone else could easily say, look at the complexity of PC flight simulators, “pc outperforms console†etc etc etc. Forgive me for being blunt but many of you are making comparisons between console and pc FIGHTING GAMES. No offense but that’s ridiculous. It’s the strongest console market vs. a non-existing market on pc. Come on… Want some non-fighting graphically superior PC games? Try FS2000, Falcon 4.0, Diablo 2, Unreal. (Keep in mind some of these games are out for almost 2 years).
    Now a better argument might be comparing PSO against a pc Online Massive Multi-Player game. In this case it’s a matter of preference. Do you want a simple, easy to learn experience or complicated, long term commitment with dedicated players? The former you’d choose PSO, the latter EverQuest. But for serious hardcore role-playing online games there is nothing but the pc.
    I share the same feelings of wanting VF4 to be the king of the hill, best of the best, graphically/gameplaying wise and such, but many of you are blinded by your infatuation of VF to think VF4 will be a graphically master piece. It won't Nor does it have to be to be great and enjoyable for us for the next 5 year IMHO.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's true that under usual circumstances I would not be making parallels or drawing comparisons, but under the present context I do think it's warranted. The original post compares a PC graphic card with an arcade motherboard, in of itself a flawed comparison. I merely extrapolated from that starting point.

I have never played any of the flight simulators on the PC so I'm afraid I do not have the right to draw any inferences. However, I will say that I have seen some of these games in motion and they certainly do not look graphically wonderful. But, you say we are talking about processing power and my response to that is that one should be careful in distinguishing between the size of the pipe and the database that it draws from. Is Falcon 4.0 complex because there are so many calculations to process or is it complex because so much information has been put into the game to make it realistic? The distinction is significant. Also, have you played Aero Dancer for the DC? This was a game that came out close to the launch of the Japanese DC, but it's a beautiful game.

Your comparison of PSO and Everquest is an even worse mistake than mine. You compared the gameplay of the two, which really has very little do with our main argument over graphics and processing power.

Finally, I don't see how you can conclusively state that VF4 will not be a graphical masterpiece upon its release. Was VF2 not a graphical masterpiece when it first came out? Yes. Is it still now? Obviously not (at least in the technical sense). I don't see why the same cannot be the same for VF4. It seems painstakingly clear to me that there is no game on the scale of VF4 being made today in terms of processing power that will be released in this coming year.

At the end of the day, I think my point holds some validity. UT looks great (I own it and played it to death) but it doesn't come close to maximizing what higher end PCs are technically capable of doing. Voodoo and Nvidia have been throwing around technical stats of millions of pps for various cards for some time now but no games have ever come out that are even close to fulfilling that ceiling. Look at consoles (certain machines aside) and arcade boards and the same cannot be said.

ice-9

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"Forgive me for being blunt but many of you are making comparisons between console and pc FIGHTING GAMES. No offense but that’s ridiculous."

Good point.

"It won't Nor does it have to be to be great and enjoyable for us for the next 5 year IMHO."

Dude, no one knows! We don't even know how the commands will be executed to know whether the title will be actually 'enjoyable'.

"but many of you are blinded by your infatuation of VF to think VF4 will be a graphically master piece"

That's me/versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    But seriously, why can't it be one?
    Does master piece means it'll blow away everything for the next 5 yrs?

<font color=red>SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN'

6. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    It seems people are jumping the gun in guessing how good vf4 will or won't look. If you look at the original demos of vf3 that are on the DC version, it seems that these demos were further along in the development of vf3 that the demos we've seen of vf4. I'm saying this because those demos showed quite a bit of character movement/commands and some limited character interaction, including some new to vf3 moves for a few characters. the vf4 demos (aside from the monk's footage and the lau/pai exchange) shows only old moves done by the new character models (and only about 1 move per character).

Now, if you'll notice, there are pretty significant changes that occurred between these demos and the final version. Lau's shirt tail isn't present, the train isn't in pai's stage, there's an extra wall in kage's stage etc. And if you saw some of the pictures which came out later in magazines like gamest, taken from fully playable versions, you'll still notice costumes and other things that were changed (like shun's mountaineer outfit or sarah's blue pants, or taka's black costume).

My point being, we've only seen a handfull of stills, and some very low quality video footage, of DEMOS. I'm going to hold judgement on what the game looks like until I'm playing the final on a monitor.

The difference between vf and other similar games has always been in the details. To me, vf2 stilll holds up as a masterpeice. Can anyone name another arcade game where you can read the kanji on a character's belt, like you can with Akira in vf2? Look at the texture on jin's pants in the opening for tekken 3, and you can see how blurry it is, years later.

I think AM2 will continue to go above and beyond everyone else this time around once again. I also think it's telling that tecmo has illuded to choosing Naomi 2 for DOA3 on the magic box, citing that they choose Naomi for DOA2 because it was the most powerful arcade hardware available at the time (suggesting they feel the same way about N2).

spotlight

7. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

"My point being, we've only seen a handfull of stills, and some very low quality video footage, of DEMOS. I'm going to hold judgement on what the game looks like until I'm playing the final on a monitor."

Exactly...
    I have no idea why people can come out n say it's nothing new or won't be as impressive as the 'model 3' shock.

It's like b4 PSO came out, everyone I knew was going 'ack...lousy graphics,....ack this n blah that'

Now, they are tooo buzy playing the damn game to even go to school!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Are there and sweeter looking games than TTT etc on PC's?

I agree nope, but can you see the same type of games on the consoles as PC...again nope...

Consoles have failed miserably at the two things which PC games excel at, those being, RTS and First person shooting games...it simply has to do with the control mechanism and online game capabilities.

CrewNYC

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Hundred swords.
    I pray realllll hard an english version will be available.
    That way, gamers with language barrier will be able to play this game

Cause this RTS KICKS ALOTTA ASSSSS!!!!!!!

Thank god I can read Jap *phew*

10. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

For the love of god will everyone quit saying "Jap".

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

11. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Phantasy Star Online, Daytona Online, Outtriggers Online, Hundred Swords Online, Alien Front Online

All of these games are pretty much guranteed to be a smash - if Phantasy Star Online is any indication. Playing Daytona Online is gonna kick so much ass, Outtriggers (i have the demo) is an AWSOME FPS, Hundred Swords is an online RTS, and Alien Front allows you to play against people playing the same game in the arcade - while you are at home (with voice support). Control mechanisms can be worked around, but as you can see the DC has amazing online games out right now and more scheduled later. From what i've heard, PSO is alot more fun than Diablo2 (a game that is comparable).

Anyway, Ice asked about VISUALS of PC games compared to the best that consoles have to offer at the moment....and aside from HALO, most PC stuff is blah....

<font color=red>ORA! ORA! ORA!</font color=red>

<font color=white>adam</font color=white><font color=red>YUKI</font color=red>

12. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

hmm, what's wrong with "jap"? its just short for
    japanese. dont tell me its cause it might get
    confused with a racist remark. words are used for

different purposes, its just way to ovbious jap
    was used as a short for japanese.

IMO, btw

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

[​IMG]
    fuck spelling!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Control Mechanism is a big deal for why RTS and first person shooters arent done on consoles. To play a RTS game accurately you need a keyboard. To play a first person shooter you really need a mouse, the analog pads really dont work well for these games. Mose/Keyboard were what they were really designed for. Online play can be accomplished but again its not really done all that well. I dont know if they have broadband adapters for consoles yet, my guess is no, so I dont think at the moment consoles can take advantage of DSL/Cable modems etc.

Online play though for games like Sega Rally etc. must be alot of fun regardless. I never played Diablo 1 or 2 or PSO, so I can't comment on how the games compare.

PC games do have one graphical advantage though, the textures that can be displayed are gorgeous, and they have the added advantage of being displayed on computer monitors at high res 32-bit color. Polygon wise consoles have been way ahead since the DC came out.

CrewNYC

14. Hayai_JiJi

Well yes because it could be confused for being racist and everyone just uses it so much I fear many do not realize it can be construed as racist. Also because it is not that hard to type japanese I mean nigger is shorter than african american but no one runs around typing that as abbrieviation. Now understand I do not codone the use of nigger and I used it to make a point I shall never use it again. Yes I understand Jap is an abbreiviation but it is also a derogatory term and it is hard to pick up context in type so I would just quit using the term to be safe.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmm, but if I wanted a short form of African American I would rather go for negro than nigger, as the former is shorter than the latter. *Ahem* just wanted to point that out. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

ice-9

16. Hayai_JiJi

Or you could just translate negro from spanish to english and you have black but what if said person is an albino or malato surely you would not call him black.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

the ps2 wont be able to replicate naomi2 perfectly. it wont even be close.

the xbox version will be at the very least "close enough", so im not worried about that.

i think the pics released were from the ps2 version and if so, compare those to the video.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

yes, most pc games suck. there is no contest. its funny you use halo as an example cuz its not even out yet. quake is the best thing on pc and you can get bored of that pretty quick (i can atleast).

19. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

And the moral of the story is: racism and political correctness sucks! But what can you do, they both exist.

As for the PC bashing...please, let's keep it within topic.

ice-9

20. Hayai_JiJi

Agreed.