1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 newbie

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Vic_Viper, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper Member

I just started playing VF4evo recently and I got a couple of newbie questions to ask.

#1 I'm pretty familiar with fighting games and I know pretty much all the conventions and terminology but I have never encountered the term sabaki and am unsure of the term yomi ( I think somebody told me it has something to do about reading your opponents moves) so if somebody could clear those up for me thanks.

#2 Second the characters I have started to pick up are Wolf and Aoi. I noticed this site doesn't have char specific fourms so I was wondering if someone could direct me to a good thread for a relative newbie or just flat out give me some advice.(I know very little bout the in's and out's of this game)

Thanks and sorry if this isn't the place to post this and is it's not can you direct me to the right place.

2. Ogi

Ogi Well-Known Member

1. sabaki is a move makes ur opps move failed, after that u can attack ur opps with other moves, (something like that...btw u can use search on this forum, just search for sabaki, it will explain more clear there) like kages 4k.

2. yomi is a japanese word. comes from yomu. it means to read. there is a situation called nitaku in vf, it means there are two choices u need to chose one, like throw or attack. if u are good at yomi, u will know what to do next throw or attack. i hope u understand what i mean...

cheers ogi

3. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

'Sup?

Sabaki / Inashis etc

Your guess about what yomi was is right. I think you can get alot of answers of that sort if you join #vfhome / #vf-uk on efnet etc if you ask nicely also.

BK just posted a Wolf vid which you might find interesting. Might require some basic knowledge about VF first though.

Unfourtunatly; when you used to click on a chars name there would be documents / pop discussions etc below. That seems to have been lost now (maybe with the site upgrade)? o_O

Learn to use the Search and you'll probably find character specific threads on Wolf (and humour!) and Aoi anyh00t. Hope this helps.

/KiwE

4. Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper Member

Thanks guys

5. Robio_kun

Robio_kun Well-Known Member

I play Wolf and Aoi too.

KiWe gave good advice about the search. Hopefully they will get the character specific links working again soon. Anyway, I can probably give you some general advice but it is hard to know what to need if I don't know where you are having trouble.

WOLF:

Wolf has the potential to do a lot of damage with his throws and combos but is often put at a large disadvantage if he is blocked. It pays to play a very conservative game with Wolf; block a lot and wait for the opponent to make a mistake before you respond with your big moves. I like to stay just out of striking range, trying to get the opponent to whiff a move. Another advantage from this is Wolf's distance game is very good. I like to threaten the opponent by staying at long range and doing [4][6][P], usually cancelling it but occasionally letting it go. Like KiWe said, BK's video is very good but can take a while to download.

AOI:

Aoi is completely different, most of her moves only leave her at a small to moderate disadvantage and her large array of sabakis and reversals mean she is able to turn these situations to her advantage with ease. Aoi tends to be best at close range, using moves such as [6][P][P], [4][3][P], [4][3][P]+[K], [4][4][P]+[K], [2][3][6][P]+[K] etc, particularly in those small disadvantage situations. she also has long range weapons such as [6][6][P] and [4][6][P], which is also good against an evade (on that note so is [2][K]+[G]). If all this sounds too good to be true, the down side is that her combos are not all that damaging and she requires good yomi to play well. she does have good throws though.

Let me know if you need to know anything more specific

6. Vic_Viper

Vic_Viper Member

hmmm thanks

mostly up until now I've just been fooling around and just recently wanted to get deep in the game. Of the two I use Aoi mostly and I use a lot of those attacks so I guess I'm starting on the right track. I should start looking more at some combo setups with her now I guess. As for Wolf I'm really not having any luck with attack selection or combos( but I haven't really been playing that much)

Again thanks for the help

7. TKDGIRL

TKDGIRL New Member

um....im a newbie.....TKDGIRL at your service..but i have to know what to do around here first..can someone help me . How do i get started in all this and give me some pionters...thanx alot!!!!!!

8. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

really, just go to the media section, and watch the videos. you'll realize how much you suck, but it will make you progressively better.

9. PhoenixDth

PhoenixDth Well-Known Member

vanity that was probably one of the worst ways ive ever seen encouragement in action

if anything goto jamboree,
    find some native flordia people
    hang out
    chill
    have fun

rinse wash repeat
    nothing teaches you the game better than someone in front of you.

10. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

yeah i know, im terrible at this whole encouraging thing. but really, it works.

when i first came to these boards, i was under the impression of "yeah, i could probably pwn chibita", but after watching probably hundreds of videos, i can safely say im nothing compared to them. and once you realize that you are nothing, then you can start changing your game. which is why i figure if i ever play him, i might win 1/20 :p

11. TKDGIRL

TKDGIRL New Member

well thanx everyone for your........helpful words......im just bored and i typed onimusha.com on my computer(i have the game and it rocks) and this came up......so i decided to see what this was all about......when i saw the words fighting..i couldnt help myself, im a fighter myself /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif tkd girl at your service!!!but from what ive heard so far, this looks like its going to be fun

12. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    which is why i figure if i ever play him, i might win 1/20 :p

[/ QUOTE ]

You might wanna think again about the percentage??
    (Maybe watch hundreds more movies and think again)

/versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously Chibita goes 100-0 or 50-0 often in his kumites against Japanese players, but it's your call after all.

13. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously Chibita goes 100-0 or 50-0 often in his kumites against Japanese players, but it's your call after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't get this? I have seen how Chibita, Homestay, and Ohsu play. Everybody makes them out to be gods. I'm not saying anything bad against them, it's just that they're really good and that's about it. Sure they may be tough to beat, but that doesen't make them impossible to beat. You seriously gotta learn to chill out and have a cool mind. If I had the chance I'd take on Chibita, Ohsu, or Homestay anyday and not give a damn about how good they are. I just love playing VF. Just remember this, no matter how good a player may be, it may be hard and improbable to beat them, but not impossible.

Also to the noob, welcome to VFDC from AKIRA PH.

14. Ogi

Ogi Well-Known Member

15. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Sorry can't read Japanese.

16. Ogi

Ogi Well-Known Member

this is funny, why read japanese, just read the numbers.

17. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

no matter how good a player may be, it may be hard and improbable to beat them, but not impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's impossible either, but I thought your 1 out 20 against Chibita seems impossible at this point. If you want to prove that I am wrong or just want to hang out with someone who loves the same game, consider coming out and try playing more experienced players on this website. You might want to change your thought after some trips.

Did I say that I l like your confidence and enthusiam?

-maddy-

18. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

There are those who say chibita, ohsu, homestay are good from watching videos and reading about them.

There are also those who say chibita, ohsu, homestay are good from watching videos, reading, and most importantly, played them personally.

I fall under the second category, and really, they will go 100-0 against 99% of the people on this forum. It's not exaggerating or anything, it's just how much more they've played the game compared to 99% of the people in NA.

I know after a while people will think that it's just a hoax or something since so many people say they are good on unfounded basis, but here is someone who have played them and telling you that they will own you, for sure. Once you've played them a round, you will understand.

19. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Why do you guys even brother wasting your breath trying to explaining something that's so uncomprehensiable to anyone who even thinks they have a chance w/ tiers in Japan. Even after they played ppl like heruru, Homestay or Kyasao for a whole day they won't realize how moronic their post were. Until they played in a NAVF gathering from begininng to end. Even then they'll only have a slight idea of the complexity & high level play that's involve in Japan.

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Ogi -------- you da man!

im gonna have nightmares about Lion now, hahah.

...and chibita's photos o.0....