1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 "NOT plan[ed]"!!!!!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Guest, May 7, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

ooh. finally i get to post something useful :]
    this is from an interview. the date at the beginning is 5/5/00.

go here to read it

http://www.gamecenter.com/Consoles/Previews/Dreamcast/Shenmueb/index.html?st.gc.dc.a

heres the quote

GC: Will everything you've learned from making Shen Mue affect how you approach Virtua Fighter 4? Do you have anything to say about Virtua Fighter 4 yet?
    Y. S.: (Coughs) If I were to make Virtua Fighter 4, of course it would have an effect. It would have a big influence.

GC: Are you thinking about it?
    Y. S.: (Coughs) I'm currently thinking about it. I'm considering it, not planning. (Smiles)

"NOT PLANNING. [SMILES]" !

2. Guest

Guest Guest

me again
    uh... i thought id start my increased fact checking AFTER i posted. hehe

it also says
    "We caught up with Yu Suzuki when he was in town for the Game Developers Conference last month, and talked about Shen Mue, the Dreamcast, the PS2, and the future. (Our thanks to Tomoaki Inoue and Utako Okukawa for translating.)"

so last month he still hadnt started it.

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

dude, I think you got it all mixed up. when he
    said he was considering it, he was talking in
    relation to what he learned from making shenmue.
    in other words, he's considering putting stuff
    that he learned in shenmue to vf4.

vf4 was officially announced to be in production
    weeks ago anyway. (correct me if i'm wrong)

<font color=red>PICCOLO</font color=red>

4. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

vf4 was officially announced to be in production
    weeks ago anyway. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Despite numerous rumors and hints from developers, I'm not sure if VF4 "official", as I have not seen anything from the Japanese side.

But I'm also relatively positive on VF4 developement, as diary entries of chief VF programmer (Tetsuya Kaku) keep referring to "big secret project that would surely surprise many".

5. Guest

Guest Guest

But I'm also relatively positive on VF4 developement, as diary entries of chief VF programmer (Tetsuya Kaku) keep referring to "big secret project that would surely surprise many".

is there any website where you can read about these entries or actually id be interested in any japanese arcade fighting game related news? hopefully in english but if not, we can still use translator websites.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

>dude, I think you got it all mixed up. when he
    >said he was considering it, he was talking in
    >relation to what he learned from making shenmue.
    >in other words, he's considering putting stuff
    >that he learned in shenmue to vf4.

yes now that i reread it, i can definetly see it to be interpreted that way. very good point. but i can also read it another way. ill show you.... [this is just because i find the interpretations kind of interesting, im not nitpicking]

here is a larger snip again:
    "GC: Will everything you've learned from making Shen Mue affect how you approach Virtua Fighter 4? Do you have anything to say about Virtua Fighter 4 yet?
    Y. S.: (Coughs) If I were to make Virtua Fighter 4, of course it would have an effect. It would have a big influence.

Y. S.: (Coughs) I'm currently thinking about it. I'm considering it, not planning. (Smiles)"

now if we just focus on the last part:
    "Y. S.: (Coughs) If I were to make Virtua Fighter 4, of course it would have an effect. It would have a big influence.

Y. S.: (Coughs) I'm currently thinking about it. I'm considering it, not planning. (Smiles)"

in the last way you could take the "are you thinking about it" to be directed to Yu's statement of "if i were to make a VF" meaning his response is he is currently thinking about making a VF

ALTHOUGH I ADMIT THIS IS A BIT OF A STRETCH.

still interesting though.

i also think they are making a vf. just find any update on info fun to think about.

also, if it was deep in development, he would probably have considered it [using shenmue knolwedge in his "approach to vf"] and decided by now if he was going to use it. i would hope. good to have a plan on these things ;]
    so maybe they are at that time only at the very beginnings.
    how long did it take to make vf3,2,1 etc? id really be interested in any info / stories about that. how many people [dont have a dc yet, cant check credits of vf3]. thrown out ideas. research they did during making it. anything

>vf4 was officially announced to be in production
    >weeks ago anyway. (correct me if i'm wrong)

i havent seen anything offcial. but it was rumored. what is the advantage in keeping it secret? many japanese games companies do this. in contrast american pc game co's do the exact opposite. lots of hype years before.

-jxx

lots of questions up there. one more. what do you think he COULD use from his shenmue knowledge. never played shenmue.
    im guessing more interactive levels? and facial expressions for the characters. and maybe even a story, although i doubt it

7. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

is there any website where you can read about these entries or actually id be interested in any japanese arcade fighting game related news?

The site I was talking about was:

http://nucleus.room.ne.jp/

Unfortunately, the site is in Japanese.

As for the arcade news...don't know. It's been a while since I checked up on Japanese gaming sites. It really is no use since I won't EVER see most of the games in Chicago...gahh....

You probably have a better luck in Blast City.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

ah..that's where his page moved.

but - AARGH! all his old VF1 frame state pages are gone! as well as the most detailed VF3 frame stat pages for (ob) kage and lau. crap.

and for those who care about useless info, tetsuya kaku was listed as a lowly programmer on the bottom of the list in the vf1 credits. for vf2 he's listed as having programmed "variety", whatever the feck that means.