1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Now Playing In Portland, OR

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Chanchai, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Finally, it's all setup and working.

VF4 is up and running at Lloyd Center, Tilt.

Too bad I won't be able to play the game for awhile, even if my Birthday is coming up really soon....

But I'm still happy that it's up.

-Chanchai

2. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

how goes it my vf nizzidges?! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

i had a chance to play today for the first time and was really impressed with the game overall. vf4 is a much more fun game than t4, in my opinion. i played mostly as jacky and encountered three other players within the hour i was there that were near my skill level (educated scrub), in addition to several obvious newbies and interested onlookers.

button arrangement was in the proper G=thumb P=index K=middle config as chanchai had insisted to tilt management. rounds were set to best 2 out of 3. two credits to start, two to continue ($0.50).

the sticks could be better though... i found that the margin between diagonals and forward/back seemed smaller in comparison to the margins of diagnols and up/down, as well as in an awkard position. for instance attempts at jacky's f,b+PG would often yield d/f+PG or d/f,d/f+PG; f,f+K and f+K often yielded d/f+K; jeffry's b,f,f+PG yielded d/f,df+PG. i'm thinking the controls are setup in a way where forward/back is not perfectly parallel to the screen, as both sides were equally affected, but i didn't have the presence of mind to check if that assumption is correct. sorry. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

by the way chanchai, i'm thinking jacky, lei, kage, and wolf will be my main characters for vf4.

regards,
    chingdude

3. Chanchai

Hey Chingdude!

Thanks for the report. I plan to make a showing for an hour or two on Saturday or Sunday (early if Sunday). Depends on how much work I get done.

Thanks for the report. Ray told me that the button layout was weird... Implying that I would hate it or something, I'll have to see. Do you know the names of the players that you played against? I told Jacob and Dan about it last night.

We'll have to meet up if I go there this weekend. For productivity and learning the game sake, I'll take requests for the full three rounds (Ray and I do that in Tekken 4 anyways).

As for your character selection, excellent! Hopefully we can all excel at our choices.

My picks are the same as I stated before:
    1) Lion
    2) Shun
    3) Lau
    4) Aoi
    5) Vanessa

I'm gonna be really scared to see Ray's Jeffry adapted to VF4!

-Chanchai

4. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Ray told me that the button layout was weird... Implying that I would hate it or something, I'll have to see. Do you know the names of the players that you played against?

<hr></blockquote>

the buttons are separated by a bit more distance than normal, especially G and P. we will adapt. regarding those dudes with l33t skillz... i didn't ask for names from anybody, but there was a vanessa player, a shun player, and an akira player.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

We'll have to meet up if I go there this weekend.

<hr></blockquote>

let me know what you decide in advance, please.

regards,
    chingdude

5. Chanchai

Well, I can adapt to any layout. Whether I like it or not. Just as long as it doesn't contribute to getting carpal tunnel syndrome in my young-adult years anyways.

I plan to go to Portland on Saturday... so I am thinking of going there early to play at around 5pm. I can pick you up from our last meeting spot if you want to do that. I will probably have to head to Lake Oswego at around 7pm though. Does that work out for you?

Players that already play VF:
    RayBlade (Ray): Known for his Capcom skills. Pacific Islander, not too tall, really long hair, mustache, usually wearing black. If VF3's an indication, you're likely to see him use Jeffry, Kage, or Akira. I've been trying to encourage him to use Vanessa. Ray play a pretty aggressive game.

Edge (Jacob): White, brown hair, glasses, skinny. One of the dedicated VF players (who also enjoys DDR these days). Almost always plays Akira, but also plays Jeffry, Lau, and Wolf. Jacob is also aggressive (VERY).

Burnside (Aaron): White, glasses, usually wears a beanie when he goes outside (no hair). He has a tendency to play the Japanese characters of a game (probably the theory that they are made to be the better characters hehehe). In VF3tb, he usually plays Aoi, but also would play Akira, Taka, and Kage. His style is quite defensive.

InstantKarma (Dan): Good size (fairly big) white guy with short hair and a goatee. Pretty social and all around nice guy. I'm sure he was playing the game tonight. Very VF2 style Sarah player. Expect to see good block & counter on reflex, dash in throws, standard poke-combos (elbow-knee), etc...

Dennis: Fairly tall black guy, glasses, sometimes has his hair in dreads, mustache. You'll most likely see him playing Pai or Aoi.

Yangsing (Simon): Asian, doesn't style his hair all that much (not that I remember), usually wears jeans and a t-shirt. Most likely plays Akira.

UPDATE: I forgot one other player who plays VF, but his main games are TTT and Alpha 3.
    Hoben: Fairly tall, dark skin, short hair, well dressed. This guy mainly plays Shun and usually works around the chouwan. His main games are Tekken Tag and Alpha 3 if I recall. He primarily played VF2, but plays VF3 with us on occasion. Nice guy as well (Portland is just full of nice guys/versus/images/icons/smile.gif)

Anyways, all of the guys listed above are some good pals of mine that happen to also play VF. I consider them to be very competent players. Of course, VF4's a new game. Hopefully some of the other guys (Chance, Anthony, Karl, Antoine (can't spell), etc...) will join in on VF4.

-Chanchai