1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 NTSC/J + GS2 + US PS2 v5 + Knife Swap = OK!

Discussion in 'Console' started by feixaq, Jan 30, 2002.

1. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

A week ago, I had absolutely no idea what the different versions of the US PS2 machine were, what mod chips were available, etc. After spending a lot of time reading the forums and various websites, I thought I'd share how I managed to get VF4 to work on my PS2, for those of you who might be interested.

I am using a US PS2 (NTSC U/C), version 5. If you don't know what version your PS2 is, check this URL:
    http://www.consolesource.com/installation/p2-n22-mod/install.htm

I am also using GameShark 2 v2.01 (or 1.99c, not exactly sure). I heard the knife-swap trick should work with GS2 v1.6, v1.9, v1.99, v2.01 and above, with all versions of the US PS2... versions 1 through 5. How to tell what version your GameShark 2 is: #1 if the GS2 box says "13,000 bonus codes" in the bottom left corner, you know you have a v1.99c/2.01. If it says "6,000 codes", it's either v1.6 or v1.9 (I think... not really sure). #2 the best way to check GS2 version number is to look at the inner ring of the CD-ROM at an angle to the light. (I bought my GS2 at a EBX retail store, btw.)

Someone else on this forum mentioned the knife-swap trick, and I can verify that it works on my config. Again, the URL is http://cousinfizz.4mg.com . Using the homemade swap tool works best, check the first photo on this page for a template: http://cousinfizz.4mg.com/photo.html (the size of the swap tool is the length of a credit card, half the width). A little tricky when you first try the swap trick, but it's easy to do after awhile, really!

With GS2 and the swap tool, I managed to get VF4 to work on my US PS2, without the use of any mods whatsoever. (I doubt I'll get a modchip until a version comes out that requires no soldering at all... there's a no-solder modchip available for Asian PS2s already).

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Forgot to add... if you're looking to mod your PS2...

If you have v1, v2 or v3, go with the Neo 2.2 + GameShark 2 v1.6 or higher.
    If you have v4 or v5, go with the Neo 2.5 (DVD-R) + GameShark 2 v1.9 or higher.

3. Kaede

Kaede Active Member

Can you please post the link for the asian mod?

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

5. CIN

CIN Well-Known Member

OOPS!!! I posted with my brother's user name. :p

Anyway thanks for the link /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

Lik Sang are actually very reliable or so I hear. I cannot buy from them since they do not ship to my country. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Some of the forumers at Console Source and CD-ROM Guide are checking out it on US v5's... if it checks out OK, I might get one next week. The knife swap trick works well, but... I'm a little lazy.

7. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Found this other nugget of info...

A new Mod Chip Board for the Version 5 Playstation 2 models SCPH-3000xR has been released in Hong Kong. It first seemed that this Mod Chip is working for the Asian V5 model SCPH 30006R only, due to the misleading instruction manual (see product info).

Due to the following facts we believe that this model is supposed to work with ALL V5 models, also the V5 consoles recently sold in Europe and the USA (unfortunately we have older V3 and V4 USA + PAL consoles only, so there is no way for us to test apart from using a HK V5 PS2):

- The mod board comes with jumpers to configure it to work with 220V and 110V consoles
    - The manufacturer confirmed, but is unable to supply a V5 Playstation 2 console to us
    - Several other local Hong Kong dealers claim it is working with USA, PAL and JAP V5 consoles

The installation procedure is very easy: simply use the ribbon cables of your PS2 to plug it in. After the modification the PS2 is able to play PS1 and PS2 (CD-R + DVD-R) backups with help of an Action Replay or Game Shark V1.7 or above.

The product is in stock and retails for USD 18.90. Wholesale pricing is available for bulk orders.

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Just a warning to knife swap people having trouble:

If you try it and get a funny grinding noise when moving the all-important little white pin, it's because the CD is still spinning in the tray. Don't worry, if you screwed up and got that grinding, everything is still fine. I think it's the edge of the CD scraping against the tray. Thankfully there's nothing printed on the edges, and no delicate components on the edge of the CD tray, so you're ok there.

If you get this problem, it means you have an earlier Gameshark, 1.4 or 1.6 or something.
    The newer gamesharks stop the CD from spinning when it's ready for the swap, older ones don't.

9. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Don't know how reliable Lik Sang is as a distributor, though.

As a distributor I guess they're ok. I got my dreamcast mod chip from them on time.

I was not pleased to see that the instructions consisted of one white piece of paper with a blurry photocopy of a picture of the chip, and on this were only two arrows and the cryptic words "for to play, not the 14 or 7st!" (something close to that). I don't expect professional, but I expect at least a diagram of some sort.

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

11. DuoWing

DuoWing Active Member

Is this whole Knife Trick Disc Swap thing good for your PS2...It seems like you would be hurting it by doing this, plus if you mess it up your screwed out of a PS2. since you broke it. Personally Id rather just wait a little longer for the U.S. version

12. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Well, it's up to you. I think there's less risk of damage with knife swap vs modding the PS2... and low risk of damage vs waiting 2 more months... I'd pick the knife swap. (IMHO)

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

According to the site you can even break the little white pin that gets moved with the knife.. but that would suck (and void your warranty). But it sounds safe, the worst scenario is you have to push the tray in yourself when you want to play.

14. CIN

CIN Well-Known Member

Problem is I have a jap 18000 PS2. It is OK for VF4 since that will be jap but for MGS2 etc it is bad since they are in japanese only

15. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I have two questions... /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Has anyone tried this with the Action Replay 2? If so, does it require you to have that extra memory card gadget plugged in? If it does, can you pull it out after the game has booted up?

Secondly, is there a swap trick where you don't have to use either GS or AR? I've heard something about demo discs?

Thanks in advance...

/Mirkan

16. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Unsure. I heard it works with AR2 for PAL systems? Really don't know. It might work. You need to have the extra card plugged in only at the start, once VF4 loads up it's all good.

Re: demo disc -- this frequently refers to booting up a backup DVD-R or import DVD game. You need to do a double swap in this case... GS2/AR2 then DVD original then import DVD or DVD-R. The original DVD must have a biggle Table of Contents than the swapped DVD; most people use Devil May Cry for a large TOC.

17. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks alot! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. LemonMan

LemonMan Active Member

This didn't work for me, although I do have a US PS2 v1 instead of v5.

Any ideas for the v1? Also, I have the original. Are you using the original or a backup?

19. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

You have to use a backup...the original won't work

20. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

Get yourselfes a Jap PS2, problem solved! I got 2 US and 1 Jap PS2 so I never have to do thoose stupid swap things.