1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 on DC thoughts

Discussion in 'Console' started by eagle, Feb 16, 2002.

1. eagle

eagle Member

Let me start off by saying that i'm a big sega fan and have been for 20 years. I believe the DC was the best console ever created. How many of you feel that VF4 would have made a better conversion on DC?

2. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Dreamcast is probably my favorite console too, but the only advantage I see with a DC version would be using the modem for some online stuff, which would actually be pretty cool if implemented right. Whether or not a tradeoff between that and the graphical hit the game would take on DC could, of course, be debated.

3. eagle

eagle Member

That's true about the online capability and what about a VMU mini-game, this is just my imagination. Graphically I think VF4 would stand out on top of PS2 version because IMO DC has more VRAM. Also Naomi and Naomi 2 are related, they both have the same specs the only difference is the poly count.

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

yup sad but true, the DC wouldent be powerful enough to handle the visuals of VF4.

5. Ura_Bahn

Ura_Bahn Well-Known Member

K we all no the DC was our best console, but hey it was SEGA to blame on its down hill performance, Poor conversion of a Classic hit and a MIA VF4.

First off there were very late online games i had to rely on my P166 for online games,

Then came a GENKI conversion of a VF3tb

And the worst thing of all is having to put in "off the peg" components inside a console. Like a POWER VR2 graphics chip, i mean wat was wrong with having to create a power full custom made graphics unit? and a processor speed of 200 MHZ was a love it - hate it thing.

The reason i mentioned the above statements is that they rushed every thing at launch just to distract ppl from waiting to buy a PS2, they gave GENKI rights to produce VF3tb (which was converted poorly) and on the DC last days they would certanly have rushed development of great games just to make $$$.

E.G - Shen Mue 2 felt half finished cuz there was slow down, some times the game would crash and there was no traslation. VF4 would have been the same in my opinion.

6. Darkseed

Darkseed Well-Known Member

Shenmue 2 is a wonderful game and IMO one of the best games ever made. The occasional slowdown was in Shenmue also and is due to the sheer size of some of the places found in the two games that the DC hardware just couldn't handle without a slowdown. I played Shenmue 2 ALOT and I never got any crashes at all.

There was a translation, it just wasn't dubbed. And the game had a much better feel to it with japanese voices. The dub of Shenmue was pretty good, but I'm sure that it would've been much better subbed

7. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Umm, the PS2 wasn't even officially announced when the DC came out in Japan.
    But apart from that, look at for example Dead or Alive 2. The gameplay kinda sucks, but the graphics are great. Especially the enviroments look fabulous, the texturures on the characters' skin is the only thing that looks bland, they look a bit like dolls (kinda like VF3).
    Now imagine what AM2, one of the best programming teams on the planet, could get out of the DC. Compared to DoA2, you wouldn't need close as much texture and geometry power for the stages, power that could have been used on more and better textures on the characters. The only things that might have suffered are the special effects. The lightning of Naomi 2 is extremely good.
    So the DC version would propably have played the same, the characters and rings would have looked close to the same. Wolfs ring would propably have had to be scaled down somewhat with the characters in the background and the lightning in Jacky's rooftopstage and the snow and sand effects on Lion's and Jeffry's stage. Other than that the conversion could have been really good. And you could have had online rankings. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

I'm not going to debate technical differences here. I just want to say that I'm sad the PS2 has no real PDA-type device like the VMU. Why? Well, a small part of VF.net is Japan was the ability to play a little mini-game called "VF Battle Arena" via cellphone. By winning battles in the minigame, you get the ability to earn money. You could use the money to buy more items to customize your character with. If you had a VMU-style device for the PS2, you could probably do this with your Kumite or AI characters on the little PDA. Plus the charas would just look so darn cute on the little screen. (^^)
    (Yes, I'm crazy. But what do you expect? I raise Sonic's chao for fun. ^^;;;)

9. CIN

CIN Well-Known Member

And the worst thing of all is having to put in "off the peg" components inside a console. Like a POWER VR2 graphics chip, i mean wat was wrong with having to create a power full custom made graphics unit? and a processor speed of 200 MHZ was a love it - hate it thing.

I will just say this. PS2 totally custom. Worst harware conception of the recent years.

Both X-box and GC use of the shelf parts.

And the DC PVR GPU can do effects in hardware that the GS would give moneyhats to have. Bumpmapping is one such feature. Only 2passes on PVRDC for proper dot product perturbed BM. 4or more on GS for a lower quality BM. And that is only one example. DC was much more powerful than the competition and was still able to give the PS2 some kicks in the ass on some occasions even though 2years old by the time. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

VF4 on DC would look good but it would have to make huge sacrifices in Lighting and polygons. Textures and picture quality would look better than on PS2 but everything else would look worse.

10. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

well in all due respects, PS2's scummy video RAM (4MB) leaves dreamcast one point up in texture mapping & anti-aliasing to as high as double the quality... but as good as shenmue 2 looks, the polygon models still don't seem VF4 standard i'm afraid, but who knows? genki's VF3 was like that because it was converted in under a month,.. if suzuki could, i'm sure he would... but why PS2??? i was hoping for a game cube version to go along with my smash bros... all these games get so scattered out, you have to buy an entire console for ONE game!!

i think SEGA should come back with another console! who's with me!!

11. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

Why PS2? Simple: Money

Sony bought the rights for VF4 cause they wanted to strenghten their position in Japan even further.
    Think about it: all major beat'em ups are on the PS2 now (except KoF I think), same goes for RPGs (FF, Dragon Quest). They pretty much have their bases covered in Japan. A lot of people bought PS2s just for VF4 (like me for example and a good deal of people on VFDC), which is exactly what Sony wanted.
    I wonder why Microsoft didn't try to get the rights for it though, VF4 for the Japanese launch of Xbox would have been great for them... but maybe they did, who knows.

12. Rugal

Rugal Well-Known Member

Re: Why PS2? Simple: Money

I'm a little confused as to why people pick the shit out of VF3 on DC. It's cleary a closer conversion to the arcade than VF4 on PS2.
    As for DC doing Vf4 - the Naomi 2 has another Power VR chip and 4 times the VRAM as well as a T&L processor that is very powerful. It would look reasonable, but would clearly lack lighting and poly detail from the arcade. At least it wouldn't be low res though /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. Cappo

Cappo Well-Known Member

Hmmm Soul Calibur on the DC looked pretty amazing...and it still does look better than Tekken Tag on PS2... I think it prolly would look better on PS2...but why would they make it for DC when the system is kinda dead?

14. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Re: Why PS2? Simple: Money

I was talking to a couple of my friends about VF4 on DC. I thought that a DC port would have been better overall than PS2. Probably would be able to access VF.NET (the real VF.NET)... all you would need to do is put the number on your VF char access card into the DC. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyway, back before Naomi and DC came out, I thought I read about Naomi (and thus DC) being able to bridge two motherboards together (and that's what I essentially thought Naomi 2 was when it was announced). If Naomi 2 is Naomi 1 plus "a 2nd PowerVR chip", then it would have been cool if it was possible to link two DCs together and play an actual arcade perfect copy of VF4 on DC.

Yeah, I'm pulling crap out of my a$$, but Japan has cooked up even crazier things imo. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

bleah.

I wish I could resist replying.

People kick the shit out of TB because it's got gameplay issues.
    As far as conversions go, I agree with you .. graphically, I found it fine.
    I can't pick up speed differences etc. The reduction of polys is pretty minor too.