1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

vf4 option select

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Mr. Bungle, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

This is a bit late but I just wanted to clarify this - I meant tapping P+G,f|b+P+G to avoid Wolf or Jeff's normal and alternate side throws.

2. Mr. Bungle

> in the 10 frame window anyway...

I don't think this 10 frame window was ever confirmed for VF3 (anyone know? Is Shota lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce on this for us?), much less VF4. It always felt much larger to me in VF3. I'd always theorized that the throw escape window was relative to the recovery/block advantage stats; the longer the recovery/disadvantage, the more time you had to enter in your escapes.

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

This is a bit late but I just wanted to clarify this - I meant tapping P+G,f|b+P+G to avoid Wolf or Jeff's normal and alternate side throws.

This is what I've been normally doing anyway when I've reversed a side throw--entering a double throw escape anticipating a normal high throw. (P+G,f+P+G vs. Wolf is very common.) Got to get the Wolf/Jeff players to recognize the side throw opportunity... =)

4. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I'd always theorized that the throw escape window was relative to the recovery/block advantage stats; the longer the recovery/disadvantage, the more time you had to enter in your escapes.

OK. You just lost me. If, for example, you blocked Jacky's flipkick, does that mean that I have more time to enter in my throw escapes, since the recovery is at 35 frames?

I apologize if it's a dumb question, but I'm trying to get a better understanding of option select, and when to use it (like maybe, after a big attack with horrible recovery?!)

5. Mr. Bungle

**does that mean that I have more time to enter in my throw escapes, since the recovery is at 35 frames? I apologize if it's a dumb question**

It's not a dumb question...

But yes, you're spot-on. I don't actually know for certain if this is the case, but it's always felt that way to me, personally. I've never believed the 10 frame figure for VF3.

**like maybe, after a big attack with horrible recovery?**

After a such moves, against good opponents, usually your only hope is plain jane MTE. R/A/E-MTE won't work because you're just at too much of a disadvantage to do anything but eat a strike attack.

6. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

Against some HEAVILY delayed attacks you can be thrown during a large window of your recovery time.

For example Kage misses f,f+P+K+G...he takes about a second to get up. Your opponent can do a very early throw or wait a second and do a throw. In this situation the 10 frame whatever rule is worth diddly. You just have to repeatedly enter whatever throw your most afarid of (say Jeff's Splash Mountain). I personally think the 10 frame rule refers to the start frames of your OPPONENTS throw, i.e. you have to input before 10 frames into their throw to escape.

Perhaps I'm talking BS, I don't know...just this 10 frame thing is doing my head in! When will those VF4 stats come out!!

7. alucard

alucard Well-Known Member

Ditto...its too early to be sure about "anything" now, everything will be clear when the frame stats and stuff are out. We just have to wait, I guess.

8. Mr. Bungle

**10 frame rule refers to the start frames of your OPPONENTS throw, i.e. you have to input before 10 frames into their throw to escape.**

This is actually how it was in VF2. The 10 frame rule had nothing to do with before you were thrown.