1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 play test and VF.Net information

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Dodee, May 10, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

it depends from situation to situation. take wolf's pick up for example against the wall. the throw for wolf is guaranteed, but his timing has to match the degree that you struggle. so if you struggle, wolf can throw right away. if you don't, wolf has to wait a bit before throwing. maybe catch throws change this somewhat, but not as is in 3 and i think the move to lesser guessing games would be a mistake. then struggling would merely be automatic, just like chickens in tekken, and that would truly reward the dexterous, not the smart.

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Think I'll agree with Phil and Chanchai on the waggling stick thing. I don't think it's really a big deal, and I'm sure it'd be easy to ignore.

FV2 has the same waggle-the-stick animation and I didn't find it intrusive at all. In fact, it took me a while to even notice it was there because I was too busy concentrating on the match. I imagine we'll eventually get used to recognising it in our peripheral vision, or just as easily ignore or filter it out.

I guess we can't help but take each new element of the game in isolation, and then pick it apart but you really must put things in context. With what I've been hearing so far, I'm really looking forward to seeing and playing the final product. I can't freakin' wait!

3. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i must admit i am becoming less of a critic of VF4.
    the community aspect (With the card and the name under the life-bar, etc.) sounds awesome. as has already been mentioned, this may not appear outside of japan, but maybe it will, fingers crossed :)

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Can you actually shorten the disabled state (no idea what to call it) from a pickup by struggling? You give the "against the wall" situation so I'm assuming yes... I'm often finding myself thinking that recovering from a pickup is a matter of timing more than struggling. (I'm really just asking for clarification on this--not trying to disrupt your argument because it does sounds valid to me).

For the most part, I do agreee with your final statement too. Reducing the guessing game at all is not all that great to me.... but who knows.

Myke brought up an excellent point by connecting Yu's comments on a distance based throw system with catch throws. Does it really depend on range? Now that would be a welcome addition in my book for sure. At least in the context that Myke brought it up in.

-Chanchai

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

And here's a fact.
    When I started playing FV2 (DC)
    I did not know what moves causes me to stagger n such....
    thanks to the waggling stick icon...it did help though....and in the end...I did not even noticed the icon flashing whenever I need to struggle...

I think it's a nice idea for newbies...and WE WILL ALL BE NEWBIES when vf4 comes out...thus my lack of comment when initial comments of the icon first appeared on the board.

<font color=red>~~~SummErs' 'enemy SPODED, enemy DOWN~~~'

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

yeah, struggling makes a difference in pickups...

7. Gnug315

Gnug315 Well-Known Member

Maybe the waggling stick icon dissapears after you've done it X number of times. If the player data card stores number of succesful dodges, it prolly keeps track of that also.

- Jan

8. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i already said that!!
    i bet you read in dumb-ass threaded mode :)

9. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Gamest has a chart in the mook on this - can't remember page etc - but struggling can actually get you to recover up to 12 frames faster than Jeff, giving YOU the advantage. IIRC, the numbers are similar for Wolf.

cheers,

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>