1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Round Openers FAQ

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by nycat, May 10, 2002.

1. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

yes it does

2. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Just tried it. Unless Im doing it wrong it only works if they dont TR.

3. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

I`d like to disagree with D's openers of Jefffrey. Sounds like the stuff that would punish you.

Individually perhaps, but their combination and my alternating between them has made them quite effective. A lot depends on one's style (aggressive players favor different openings than machi ones do), the nature of the opponents, what character they are using, etc. I prefer spilling first blood...

Try a d+K+G into sidestep to avoid high attacks.

You get a -14 frame disadvantage if it's blocked, and even a -7 if it hits, and little damage to compensate. Not the best way to start with an already slow character like Jeffry. The d+K+G is best saved for MC opportunities

Starting with a throw is dangerous.

With great risks come great results. But it's not so dangerous if you've conditioned your opponent into expecting a rushing attack that they will block, or if they think you will back crouch dash with a trap counter. Besides, my style is not to try to win every round, but to take a few losses to gain a higher overall winning percentage. Even when the opponent punishes me for opening with a throw or two, I more than make up for it in subsequent rounds when he/she opens by trying to counter/escape the throw. It also stops a few Aoi/Pai/Akira/Kage types from trying to open with a midlevel reversal. Bottom line is that I have been quite successful with mixing in the opening throws. Note that I include them in a small set of opening move types (nine -- not quite the "whole move list" Llanfair alludes to). I never recommended using them every round (or even the majority of rounds), but rather a little over 10% of the time. They are part of a tool box. If I don't think the throws will work, I don't use them. I adapt well. That's an advantage with having a collection of opening moves that you are familiar with and can call upon. It's called flexibility.

4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

are we talking about jeffry here? ir wolf? if it is wolf....then of course his b,f+p+k doesnt guaranteed a pick up, its a freaking float /versus/images/icons/smile.gif . now jeff on the other hand is guaranteed.

5. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Ok I think were confused then. I was talking about Wolf. Sorry for the mix up.

6. justaNewbie

justaNewbie Member

Regarding Wolf's [f+K, P, b~f+P+K] to ground pick-up throw, Mike92123 is correct...

CPU Jeff and CPU Wolf will almost always tech-roll after getting hit by that combo. There's a chance CPU Akira won't tech-roll after it, but he usually does (I think getting an MC with the knee improves the chance that he won't).

However, for some reason none of the other CPU-controlled characters seem to tech-roll or quick-recover after that float combo when they hit the ground, so you get a free ground pick-up throw. (It's certainly possible to, but they just don't.)

Using [b+P] instead of [b~f+P+K] at the end of that combo leads to a guaranteed pick-up throw, but is a lot easier to whiff if the opponent isn't lifted quite high enough by the knee. So, why do that against light/medium-weight CPU opponents when you can get the guaranteed damage and the pick-up throw instead?

Again, as Mike92123 pointed out, against human opponents you must use [b+P] to ensure they don't quick-recover or tech-roll and Wolf whiffing the ground pick-up attempt.

I actually posted an almost identical combo earlier on in this thread, but since I gave it the title of "For Easy, Cheap CPU Ring-Outs" it was a bit more obvious what was required to make it work.

As I have no real human VF4 competition amongst my friends, all my tactics are, unfortunately, CPU-based. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif I download and watch VF4 movies of "real" matches with great envy. Also, in case you haven't figured it out yet "justaNewbie" and "tedster" are both me. </sheepish grin>

Sorry about the confusion.

7. mindelixir

mindelixir Well-Known Member

Re: Allow me to add my Jeffrey openers.

Jeffrey Openers

f+P+K to a triple knee is good but for damage wouldn't a powerbomb to a stomp, iron claw, or (b,d/f+P,P) give more damage?

For humiliation try the shot elbow (b,f+P) to a (d/f+P+K, P) or (f,b+P) to d+K+G or d/f+K+G.... the elbow to slap to standing low kick looks very sick....

8. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: VF4 AI specific Round Openers

speaking of <font color=white>Wolf</font color=white>: <font color=red>Kali</font color=red> shares these thoughts: " start a round with <font color=orange>f+K+G</font color=orange> - if it connects - <font color=orange>f+P+K</font color=orange> (force crouch), <font color=orange>db+P+G, b,f+K+G, b,f+K+G</font color=orange> - With higher ranked oponnents try to start a round with immidiately <font color=orange>K+G</font color=orange> - in most cases it should hit your AI opponent.

9. Kali

Kali Well-Known Member

Re: VF4 AI specific Round Openers

WOLF:
    Versus CPU oponnents: d+K, d+P or simply d+P - if this punch connect as a Major Counter, you can always do P+K (max charged), f+P, db+P+K+G, b,f+K+G, (eventually another one b,f+K+G) - and when you will be rising after last move, do... of course d+P and so on:))). MC d+P into max charged P+K, f+P etc. works also when used instead of rising attack.

VS human players:
    f,d+K,
    back crouch dash into K+G or f+P+K
    hcb+P,P
    P _ d+P -> hcb+P,P
    side step+P+K+G
    P+K (charge, release buttons when needed - or simply tap P+K)
    FC,df+P
    b,b+P+G