1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4: sabaki moves

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by GLC, Oct 6, 2001.

1. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I'd like to include all of those in the FAQ, therefore I'm requesting help of people playing VF4. Don't know what sabaki are? Those are attacks that cannot be interrupted by normal means, they sometimes sweep opponent's attack aside, etc. - a prime example of it is Kage's P+K from jumonji stance.

<font color=orange>Go die or something...</font color=orange>

2. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm only familiar with Kage's Sabaki (JS, P+K) at the moment, so I'll talk a little about that, which may go some way in explaining how Sabaki's work in general.

Kage's Sabaki is like two moves in one: inashi + lunge kick. I will test whether or not he can be thrown out of the inashi part next time. The inashi will only deflect high/mid (Punches definitely, not sure about Kicks) and the sidekick will connect. It won't work against low attacks, so if your opponent strikes low as you attempt the sabaki, you'll lose.

Visually, Kage does a block/deflect motion with his arms and then brings his rear leg forward into an advancing mid-kick.

These are unlike VF3's sabaki where the attack would do all the work. For Kage, there's nothing special about the attacking portion itself, it's just like any regular move. What is special though is the inashi at the start.

When I get a chance to test other character's sabaki, I'll report back on them.

3. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

I tried lion's QCB+P. doesn't look very useful, infact I THINK I have been jabbed out of it b4. it doesn't look like the kind of move you want to try to often. but I never really used much of it so... anyway, chibita doesn't seem to use it often :) so why should I.

4. dickson

dickson Active Member

there should be 2 kinds of sabaki, i) inashi type, ii) inashi + attack (as you mentioned, basically an attack ... the new sofgtbank mook put it as "parry and blow", in english)

like akira's b+p+k+g, it is the first type sabaki, parry all opponent's high p, k, plus low p ... therefore some sabaki does work against low attacks

kage's (JS, p+k) will parry and attack high/mid p (inclu. elblow), AND high k ... reverse by mid reversal, b/d+p+k ...

but my question now is for the 1st type sabaki, why AM2 doesn't group/call it as inashi??? someone help me ...

still a lot of unknown usage about this new sabaki system ...
    8:p

5. Madin

Madin Well-Known Member

what is aoi's yin-yang stance classed as?
    type 1 (inashi) sabaki? all it does is combine all her inashis from VF3 (which is no small feat because she had the most of any 1 character) i just call it her auto inashi.
    maybe its because type 1 sabaki are multiple level inashis so they get special status?

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Personally, I've been referring to moves that have the DJ-scratch sound as "sabaki", and those that don't as inashi.

e.g. Aoi's yin-yang stance, Pai's f+P+K, Jacky's auto-parry are inashis in my book.
    Akira's b+P+K+G is a sabaki (type 1, as per Dickson's post)
    Kage's (JS) P+K is a sabaki type 2 (parry and attack)...

P.S. Unless this has been changed in the final version, Kage's b+K (the first hit in b+K,K,K) is a sabaki as well.

[​IMG]

7. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

These are unlike VF3's sabaki where the attack would do all the work.

Could you give me an example of a sabaki attack in VF3? And out of curiousity, were there any in VF1 and VF2?

-<font color=white>Ghost</font color=white><font color=red>DOG</font color=red>

8. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

wolf's b,f+P and f+P+E, and taka's b,f+P. you could be hit and take damage during certain frames of these attacks, but the attack would still go on. the window was very small.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

9. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

If that's what a sabaki is, then Pai's f,b+P,P is also as such, though I wish I knew the frame data. The window for it to eat up the attack seems pretty late, as I often get smacked out of it at the beginning.

10. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

Just inashi = inashi
    Inashi & attack = sabaki

Therefore Akira's b+P+K+G is inashi, Kage's [JM] P+K is sabaki.

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

11. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

So what are moves that eat up a move (think Juggernaut or Hulk from the Vs. games) referred to?

12. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If a move either deflects other move and then hits, or "eats up" a move - it's sabaki. Btw, aren't those vs. games situations you mention the result of respective characters' super armor (eg. MvC2)?

<font color=orange>You now speak to GLC.</font color=orange>

13. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

OK cool, what I meant with the reference was that those characters are able to continue their attack even when getting attacked themselves....you're right it's a result of their super armor properties and not some executed move.

14. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Even though it's not sabaki, thought I'd mention the humorous ability Taka has to not get knocked down and occasionally plow through attacks in a similar way. The example that I've heard of - taka sticks out a regular standing high P, and jacky kickflips at the same time. Jacky's kickflip hits the edge of Taka's palm. Because the damage in that situation isn't enough to cause a knockdown on Taka, Jacky will land and do the taunt while Taka is free to stroll forward and ream him.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

15. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Are you just referring to OB Taka or is this Taka overall?

I wish I had more experience using OB Taka, he seems kinda fun from what I tried out whenever I was on a working OB machine.

-Chanchai

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Dunno? Were any damage formulae changed between OB and TB? I've heard there were a million little changes, I guess it's plausible. Personally, I'd hate to think that it was in OB and eliminated in TB, Take needs the added coolness.

/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>~~~ Don't make me rape you with a sharp stick ~~~/versus/images/icons/mad.gif<font color=red>

17. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

A lot has changed for Taka in TB. Check out virtua project's OB and TB Taka movelists just to get an idea of how some moves have changed.

As for properties...

Taka's hard as hell to knock down in OB. In fact, when I did play some OB, I pretty much limited my arsenal to attacks that would knock him down (being afraid that doing some moves would leave me open to throws if it didn't knock him down or back a bit). But in TB, he's actually very easy to knock down and as you know, bounce around. Don't know how "flubbery" he was in OB.

As far as I know, he's a completely different character in TB.

-Chanchai

18. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

It only happens in VF3ob. He follows the same knockdown rules as all the other characters in VF3tb.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

19. dickson

dickson Active Member

but akira's b+p+k+g is regarded as sabaki in all the 2 mooks ... and also mentioned as sabaki in different vf4 website movelists?!

this is my question ... very confusing :(

kage's b+k no longer is sabaki (if i have not remembered) but pai's f,b+p is ...

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    but akira's b+p+k+g is regarded as sabaki in all the 2 mooks ... and also mentioned as sabaki in different vf4 website movelists?!

this is my question ... very confusing :(

I haven't played Akira enough yet, but if you used b+P+K+G alone (i.e. without the followup f+P) is anything guaranteed afterwards? If not, then classing it as inashi wouldn't be accurate because, well, it'd be useless to perform the move on it's own.

My guess is that the b+P+K+G is regarded as Sabaki because of the canned followup which can't be performed any other way. It's like Kage's P+K from stance, except that's one command to input, whereas Akira's is conditional and relies on two commands.