1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 Sarah FAQ

Discussion in 'Sarah' started by Robyrt, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Obviously, this is still in the works (I don't even have frame data in the movelist section, or more than half a page of strategy), but at least it's coherent. What do you guys think?

<a target="_blank" href=http://robyrt.coolserver.net/sarah4.txt>http://robyrt.coolserver.net/sarah4.txt</a>

2. Ealsen

Ealsen Well-Known Member

I think it's a very nice Sarah FAQ. But I haven't checked Ice-9's sarah dojo, so I can't compare and give comment much about yours /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Deniz

Deniz Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading the FAQ. Good job from this "beginner/intermediate" Sarah player's perspective. I have some simple questions though.

For the Full Spin Drive, you say "The uf+K version travels slightly forward, but executes a couple frames slower." Where did you get the info concerning the frames? The move lists here and at VP show no differences in the frame rates for the u+K and uf+K versions. Also, are you sure the uf+K version travels slightly forward? I'm not saying it doesn't, just that I never noticed. ice-9 says the same thing in his Sarah Dojo, but I never perceived the extra travel. I guess tonight I can look again. Is the extra movement before she takes off?

You say the backturned uf+P Moonsault travels away from the opponent. Not true (at least not in Version C). It moves Sarah towards her opponent, but without changing the direction she is facing. Doing ub+P while she is backturned causes her to turn around to face her opponent and then do a normal Moonsault. This last move can also be accomplished, as Myke has pointed out, by inputting G, uf+P.

You have a "b" in the React Round Kick and Wall Back Roll commands that should be an "f".

Again, thanks for a very enjoyable read.

4. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Glorified movelist? =)

5. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Overall, very well done. Just a few corrections, and a few interjected opinions here. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Knee vs. DC
    It's honestly just a matter of which you're more comfortable with. DC can dodge some high attacks, the knee goes over some low for oki. They both do the same damage, The DC is throw, punch and elbow counterable, where the knee is only throw and punch (and not even standing punch for wolf and jeff).

The canned PPP combos
    The knee and flipkick are, all intents and purposes, stance specific enders. I don't remember specifics off the top of my head (as in which stance with which ender for which float starter), but I know that's the case. (Example: DC, PPPb+K will only hit Jeff when done from open stance, but not closed (or vice versa, not sure which order)) The advantage to the u+K ender is that it's stance independent (doesn't have differing height requirements to connect on stance initiation, or the variance is so small that it doesn't matter). The tradeoff is that it guarantees that it's the end of the combo. Doing one of the other two on an opponent floated high enough can still yield wall combos beyond the ender (even if it's only the guaranteed pounce/down attack).

d+K,K
    Both of these kicks are throw counterable when blocked, though the first is tough to get. The second is throw, punch and elbow counterable.

The mirage kicks...
    Personally, I'd warn anyone away from using these. Even if they hit, you're at a massive disadvantage unless you follow through and knock down, which is fairly improbable. Basic rule if you do use it...if you throw the second, go for the third, because the second is just awful. You're throw counterable even if the second hit for a MC.

Kickflip (u/b+K)
    So far, here is where I disagree with you the most. The kickflip is the same speed as an elbow, so yes, it is a bit slower than her old kickflips, but it still does enough damage to warrant use. In a situation where you'd use edge kick->pounce or elbow-knee, a kickflip would do more damage across the board. There's no fancy crap to it, but man it's a HAIR under 25% of the bar for minor counter, close to 30% for a major counter. Now in a float, yes it sucks, simply for the fact that it's bugged. Any time that Sarah uses a kickflip in a float, it always does the FL kickflip damage, regardless of which one you actually use. If it were not for that fact, then the kickflip would also be useful in floats, simply for the fact that it's a good floor scraper and it's very high base damage.

Step round kick (f+K+G)
    When blocked, both parties are completely even.

d/f+K+G
    Is low counterable by Akira as well as Aoi.

u/b+K+G
    This move will not combo to the mirage kicks. It's flamingo counterpart will, but not this one. Connecting with this one especially on the heavies just means free pounce. It can also be used in some bounce combos for a slam that guarantees a down attack, but not a pounce. And conversely...

FL f+K+G
    This is where all the freak nasty stuff is available. Honestly though, if you connect with this, the mirage kicks with the low ender are the safest bet. Works on everyone regardless of stance. As the opponents get lighter though, more nasty stuff is available, provided you've paid attention to you stance before the f+K+G. For the "lighter characters" (lei/lion and up) depending on stance you can do LP, rising knee or LP, d+K,K or d/f+P,K,u+K (yes it works) or P(G), d/f+P,K or P(G), f+P,K etc...

And for the last part...having your b,f+P+G escaped does not guarantee that you'll get side thrown. Even if it's Wolf or Jeff and even if they're holding forward during the whole escape, if they go for a throw you can just mash punch and you'll stop the side throw. The reason is that pretty much no throw escape (barring wall interference) will leave anyone close enough to be in throw range where the disadvantage is 8 frames or greater.

I guess that's it for now...I really like how you've written the FAQ. Very well laid out and easy to reference.

6. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Nutlog said:
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Knee vs. DC

<hr></blockquote>
    Another uncanny thing about the knee is that it has some tracking ability compared to the DC, which will expose your back if the opponent applies the dodge in the right direction. In support of Nutlog, the DC is great but can be Sarah's greatest weakness.

7. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Ice-9: I prefer to think of it as a glorious movelist. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif j/k

Nutlog: I've managed to land ub+K+G, d+P, rising knee on mid/lights, but unless you can connect the descending knee (IIRC lights only) it's still less powerful than a pounce. Didn't know about the df+PK,u+K though... whoa.

8. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was more trying to get across the point that the FL f+K+G was where the combos really opened up, and not the regular u/b+K+G.

I mean if you literally look at the execution mechanics of the two moves. They both have identical total execution times (including the rigor after connection). Literally what they have done is move 12 frames of the u/b+K+G's recovery time to is wind-up instead.