1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 tech rolling

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by BK__, Nov 20, 2001.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

it looks strange, how do you do it?

every time i knocked down akira, he just rolled back up again like the terminator, quite intimidating too i might add.

it might be helpful (^_^) plz tell me

2. Kid_Karumba

Kid_Karumba Member

Press p+k+g just as you're about to hit the ground to do a Quick Rise (flip up on to your feet).
    To do a Tech-roll press u/d+p+k+g. Press up to roll into the screen and down to roll out of the screen.
    P.S. Use the search function more often.

3. DeLune

DeLune Well-Known Member

When I played against CPU, sometimes I can manage to throw the CPU opponent when he/she is tech rolling. Sometimes I couldn't. Is the throw guranteed? Do I have to throw the opponent in the middle of the roll or do I throw the opponent after the tech roll is finished.

Thanks

4. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Here's something from Myke's Arcadia Notes post. Care to take a guess as to how I found it? Here's a hint: it starts with an "s", and rhymes with "lurch"./versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Tech Roll (TR):

There's a brief explanation explaining the phases you go through as you TR. They've drawn a horizontal bar with three phases marked. There is no frame information given, but graphically, this bar looks something like:

<pre>
    ._____________________________________|\
    | | | \
    | Ground | Normal | Normal \
    | Attacks |Attacks | Cond'n /
    |____________________|_________|______ /
    |/

</pre>
    From the moment you initiate a TR up until a certain point (I think it's when you stop rolling) you are only vulnerable to Ground Attacks, like pounces, df+P's, df+K's, that kind of thing. The next short phase, which I think is at the end of the roll and as you begin to get up, you are vunerable to normal attacks (and I'm guessing low throws here, but I'm not sure). The next phase is when you're finally on your feet standing and return to normal condition, and like in previous VF games, there's a short window where you cannot be thrown.

Here's some more interesting things about the TR. During the TR, if you hold G, your opponent's attacks will track you. However, if you don't hold G then you are more prone to being low thrown at the end of the TR (during the Normal Attack phase I believe).

Face down knockdowns can be taken advantage of if the opponent tries to TR or QR (Quick Rise). Specifically:

- face down, head towards: if the opponent tries to TR, your attack can interrupt them and leave them back-turned.
    - face down, head away: if the opponent tries to QR, your attack can interrupt them and leave them back-turned.

The pics in the magazine show sidekicks interrupting the rolls, though I imagine any mid or even low hitting move will do the job. Also, I think the hit must occur during the "Normal Attack" phase of the TR, but immediately for the QR.

They also show an example of Lei Fei performing the forward leaping-punch thingy after a face down, head towards knockdown interrupting a TR and leaving them back turned.

*phew*

OK here's some random stuff:

- After throw escapes, there are no longer any guaranteed situations (attacks or throws/sidethrows). In most cases, the escapee will have a slight frame advantage and it's up to them to force the guessing game - attack or throw if in range.

- Defending Akira's Pull-in-Throw (PIT) followups has changed for ver.B:
    --- PIT - P+K: defend with f+G
    --- PIT - u - P+K: defend with u+G
    --- PIT - d - P+K: defend with d+G

- Aoi and Pai's low side throws can be escaped with just P+G, instead of the regular P+K+G. Don't ask me why!

- There's a pic of Lau's sidekick being blocked, and the blurb says something along the lines of it not being P-counterable, so they recommend countering with a throw because it's faster than a P.

- The suggested way of escaping Vanessa's arm grab is to hold G and wiggle the stick between down and neutral to guard both followup attacks (punch or low kick).

- Kage stuff: Most P-counterable situations are also throw counterable. Don't ask me why this applies to Kage, and I'm not sure who else it applies to. They say not to bother with his df+K after any of his throws since they can all be struggled out of.

- Akira stuff: DJK is pretty much guaranteed after every k.d. stagger. Ouch!

- Some Akira combos:
    --- SgPm (wall-hit stagger) - SPoD (ouch again!)
    --- b+P+K+G, f+P - DJK
    --- PIT - SDE - DbPm
    --- PIT - u or d - P+K - SDE - DbPm
    --- PIT - SgPm - DbPm
    --- SDE - ShRm - AS#3 (MC req'd, light characters)

The m-DbPm is back, baby! BTW, CPU Akira loves the meatplow combo: SDE - DbPm!

Props to Myke for posting the info. And hopefully this answers your question.

P.S. It looks like I messed up with the arrow near the top of the post. For the entire thread, just enter "arcadia notes" in the search engine.

edit: fixed up the arrow :)

5. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i know about the search guys, but i perfer to get my info from personnal experience, different people have different techniques on doing things, but i can see that it must be getting irritating so..

i'll use the search next time then (^_^) thanks for the info anyhow,

- bare_knuckle

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

If you prefer getting info from personal experience, why do you post questions on the board? That's not personal experience.

Have a nice day!

7. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

i mean for instance...

you might know when is the best times to use it, or what you can follow it up to, or even events which you might have found it life-saving..

that kind of thing..

8. alantan

alantan Well-Known Member

a word of advice, just because you can tech roll doesn't mean you have to do it ALL the time. you should not tech roll sometimes if you see the opponent is not going for bounce combo anymore.