1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 The System of Instant Recovery

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by Myke, May 15, 2002.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The artist, I mean, document formerly known as "The System of Break Falling" has been updated. It is now <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_instant_recovery.html>The System of Instant Recovery</a> and the major changes include the change in terminology to be in-line with the US PS2 version as well as some minor textual changes.

The official terminology used in the US PS2 version:

<ul type="square">[*]In-Place Recovery (IPR or IP): Previously QR (P+K+G)
    [*]Side Roll Recovery (SRR or SR): Previously TR (d or u+P+K+G)
    [*]Instant Recovery (IR): Previously Break Falling. Collectively means IP or SR.
    [*]Exact Recovery (ER): Previously Just Break Fall. A perfectly timed IP or SR. [/list]
    Previous notes mentioning "QR/TR" can be replaced with "IR" or "Instant Recovery". Same with "Just Break Falling" being replaced with "Exact Recovery". I've already begun using this terminology in the Command Lists.

I won't fuss if people continue to say "QR/TR" all the time, but isn't it easier to type "IR"? Two letters good, four letters baaaaad /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ack. I'm sticking to QR/TR. US PS2 VF4 terminology be damned. *cough* Subjugator *cough*

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I won't fuss if people continue to say "QR/TR" all the time, but isn't it easier to type "IR"? Two letters good, four letters baaaaad

Well... does QR/TR mean the same? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif But sure, IR can be used in place of QR/TR, but not "just" QR or "just" TR...

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Well... does QR/TR mean the same? But sure, IR can be used in place of QR/TR, but not "just" QR or "just" TR...

If you just use QR or TR alone, then you're being too specific. For example, if I annotate a move in the command list with "QR possible", then it could be interpreted to mean that a TR is not possible. So, that's why it's always grouped together like this: "QR/TR", which to me, is pretty redundant.

Specifically, the terms are all to do with knockdown recovery - In-Place, Side Roll, Instant, Exact. We can refer to the collectively as IR, or when perfectly timed, ER.

p.s. thanks for your terminology faq update, I'll reply back shortly after I go through it.

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If you just use QR or TR alone, then you're being too specific.. [snip]

That's not what I meant... in case of IR'able moves, sure, "QR/TR" is probably a more redundant term. Nevermind /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

ehehe, that's a lot of work on your end just because people are too ignorant or unimaginative to interpret: "This combo can be TR'd" to mean "This combo can be TR'd or QR'd" ... if your goal is to avoid confusion, you may have backfired by trying to introduce a new set of terms to replace the ones that have been used forever (especially since it'd be unusual if 50%+ of the posters on here actually switched).