VF4 The System of Instant Recovery

Discussion in 'Site News, Questions and Feedback' started by Myke, May 15, 2002.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    The artist, I mean, document formerly known as "The System of Break Falling" has been updated. It is now <a target="_blank" href=http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?section=vf4&file=vf4_instant_recovery.html>The System of Instant Recovery</a> and the major changes include the change in terminology to be in-line with the US PS2 version as well as some minor textual changes.

The official terminology used in the US PS2 version:

<ul type="square">[*]In-Place Recovery (IPR or IP): Previously QR (P+K+G)
    [*]Side Roll Recovery (SRR or SR): Previously TR (d or u+P+K+G)
    [*]Instant Recovery (IR): Previously Break Falling. Collectively means IP or SR.
    [*]Exact Recovery (ER): Previously Just Break Fall. A perfectly timed IP or SR. [/list]
    Previous notes mentioning "QR/TR" can be replaced with "IR" or "Instant Recovery". Same with "Just Break Falling" being replaced with "Exact Recovery". I've already begun using this terminology in the Command Lists.

I won't fuss if people continue to say "QR/TR" all the time, but isn't it easier to type "IR"? Two letters good, four letters baaaaad /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Ack. I'm sticking to QR/TR. US PS2 VF4 terminology be damned. *cough* Subjugator *cough*

3. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

I won't fuss if people continue to say "QR/TR" all the time, but isn't it easier to type "IR"? Two letters good, four letters baaaaad

Well... does QR/TR mean the same? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif But sure, IR can be used in place of QR/TR, but not "just" QR or "just" TR...

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Well... does QR/TR mean the same? But sure, IR can be used in place of QR/TR, but not "just" QR or "just" TR...

If you just use QR or TR alone, then you're being too specific. For example, if I annotate a move in the command list with "QR possible", then it could be interpreted to mean that a TR is not possible. So, that's why it's always grouped together like this: "QR/TR", which to me, is pretty redundant.

Specifically, the terms are all to do with knockdown recovery - In-Place, Side Roll, Instant, Exact. We can refer to the collectively as IR, or when perfectly timed, ER.

p.s. thanks for your terminology faq update, I'll reply back shortly after I go through it.

5. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

If you just use QR or TR alone, then you're being too specific.. [snip]

That's not what I meant... in case of IR'able moves, sure, "QR/TR" is probably a more redundant term. Nevermind /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

6. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

ehehe, that's a lot of work on your end just because people are too ignorant or unimaginative to interpret: "This combo can be TR'd" to mean "This combo can be TR'd or QR'd" ... if your goal is to avoid confusion, you may have backfired by trying to introduce a new set of terms to replace the ones that have been used forever (especially since it'd be unusual if 50%+ of the posters on here actually switched).