1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4 vs Tekken

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Akira Yukii, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Akira Yukii

Akira Yukii Active Member

This has probably been discussed already, but y'know, I havn't posted in a few months, so
    don't kill me for doing this.

I read a recent article in a PSM magazine, or something of such nature,
    and it was a direct comparison of Tekken and VF4 to see which one
    is better.
    VF4 won. :)

And let me say this :
    It makes damn good sense, y'know?
    Tekken is still the same ol same ol,
    it's good. But VF4 blew me away,
    Sure, the general concepts were the same,
    but I was friggin' mad impressed with the visuals.
    I've seen now what ps2 is capable of. Kage's outfit is stunning!
    Sadly, I'm terrible at the game, and never win.
    Oh well. Ce la vie.

2. Kingman3

Kingman3 Member

Actually, not everything in Tekken 4 is same ol', same ol'.

There's of course, the wall game, and a good number of options from a wall stun.

There's the dir+1+3 Position Change, which allows for good setups and wall escapes.

The new 8-way run method of sidestepping makes low blocking and crouching a bit harder, especially on crappy sticks. I think you can still do df,N for instant WS, though.

As with all sequels, there are new characters and moves, and several moves' hit properties have been changed. As you most likely have heard, Jin is a totally new character.

Yoshimitsu's Flash now steals opponents' moves and lets him perform them.

Jab priority is HEINOUS, much moreso than on TTT.

There's new types of moves on T4 called Just Frame moves, which require button inputs at the exact frame.

But you're right. VF4 has made many more changes from its predecessor than T4.

3. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    There's new types of moves on T4 called Just Frame moves, which require button inputs at the exact frame.

Not to nitpick, but weren't these 'just frame' attacks always a part of Tekken? Everything from 10-hit strings to EWGFs require input at the exact frame(s). If there's a new twist in Tekken 4, then I'm not aware of it.

4. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've been a part of tekken since 3 I think. It's just that in 4 they started calling them "just frame moves". Plus they gave most of the characters moves like this, that they didn't have in TTT.

5. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

If anything, "Just Frame" moves are purposefully put into the engine, usually for some advantageous type of attack. Technically, it's nothing really new aside from how on purpose it is.

Generally, many Just Frames require a button to be pressed or let go at a particular single frame. Probably the most popular Just Frame would be Paul's d+4, 2, 1+2 (at some exact frame around the time 2 connects). This is the move you see a lot in which Paul follows up a sequence with an open gate sort of attack in which he hits his opponent with one hand which is followed by a sparkling trail (the property of the attack being that Paul is virtually safe after doing this so he can whore out some of his sequences more than he ever has before).

One of Jin's JFs simply charges up an uppercut (the finishup to a laser scraper combo) almost instantly instead of waiting a good while to charge it up--giving the move unblockability in a very short time.

JFs are kind of like an iaigeri that was purposefully put into the game and made to look unique enough to exclaim that it was on purpose. Some of them worthwhile, some of them not. But almost always requiring some accuracy of a single frame (though apparently not always).

Something old? Yeah. Something new? Sort of.

On the issue of "new Tekken 4" stuff.

-Undulation is in the game and it is relevant, but it seems to magnify the "BS factor" that we see a lot of in Tekken (or at least the BS factor I see a lot of). You thought okizeme in Tekken was evil before? Try abusing a fallen opponent lying on a rising slope.

-Not only are there walls, but corners have created some pretty whorish tactics. We can also mention ceilings, though I haven't seen those abused at all.

-I wouldn't say the 3d movement of T4 is new, but it's implemented a bit differently. You don't have to double tap or wait for neutral.

-You also gotta love the obstacles that disappear when you break them. Looks corny imo, though some people seem to dig it. They do create some of the funkiest properties, check out Jin's d+4 against the corner of an object.

-Chanchai

6. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

The only use I can think of offhand for ceilings is combos off of Panda's WS+1+2 / HB+1+2 uppercut... but then again, you don't need combos when you have the ground-hitting f,f+2 :)