1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF4FT Location Test Impressions

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by sekaijin, Apr 30, 2004.

1. sekaijin

sekaijin Well-Known Member

PSN:
    so__it__goes
    XBL:
    sekaijin usa
    Here I was out minding my own business when I get a call from Kohu Megane telling me to get my ass to High Tech Shibuya. I had actually been laying off of VF for financial reasons, telling him I was gonna quit till FT. The only reason he could have been calling me was for FT.

Sure enough, when I got to High Tech there it was in playable form!

To be honest, the setup pissed me off at first. First of all you had to buy a new card at 500 yen that was only valid for the location test period and not compatible with the final version of FT (gay). There were only two versus setups, and one one-player setup, and the one-player setup was 200 yen a pop (super gay). Additionally, the game was set up to best of three, which made me recally my Mortal Kombat days (doesn't get gayer than that).

But alas, once I got to play it was pretty fuckin cool.

First of all, the one-player modes....

When you pick your character you have the choice to do the standard Arcade mode, or the Challenge mode. The Challenge mode is different than the random challenges from arcade mode in Evo. First, the challenges themselves are far more varied. You have the old "land x throws" or "win the match" ones, and more crazy ones like "gravity is halved: land x 5-hit combos" or "land x combo y times." You are assigned a grade (from C for failure, to AAA for super excellent) based on fulfillling the required quantity of moves, or going above and beyond that number. The first challenge is always "win the match," which depending on the grade you receive you can do a harder challenge the next match. Before the next match you have the option between an easy and a hard challenge. The number of overall challenges increases by one per match, and if you keep choosing the harder challenge you have the option to try more challenges in the next match. This goes on and on for all eight stages, until you eventually have a nearly impossible challenge in the final match. Due to the revamped AI, I did not see anyone get even close to achieving that. Granted most people were just trying out new moves and tactics, but the AI was much much MUCH harder than in Evo, or that in any other fighter I've played for that matter. It actually acted like a human (I'm sure we've all heard that before), in that it didn't appear to have any set patterns. If you kept going for the same cheezy shit, they would punish your for it, even on the first stage. Whether they had the machines set up on the hardest level or not is yet to be seen; regardless, I don't think anyone was used to playing against that level of CPU AI. Famous players tactics were also mimiced in the one-player mode, so that in some matches it would actually put up the data of a famous player and it created the sensation that you were indeed playing against that person. There are rumours of items for completing the quests at different levels. All in all, it is a much more fun version of one-player that is actually fun in and of itself.

Now on to the real shit, versus mode.

Surprisingly, despite the presence of move sheets throughout the arcade, many people failed to notice them--or just did not care--and were playing as though it were simply Evo. Not so surprisingly, those people were often easily confused when you employed new moves. I guess it's easiest to provide a character-by-character breakdown. I do not use every player, so bear with me when I don't know inputs and what not for your character.

Shun:
    As I am primarily a Shun player, it was Shun's changes that I noticed the most. First of all, he has a new [4][6][P][K] that animates like chouwan, but is a quick left-right punch combo that puts him in his one-footed standing stance. It is much faster than his elbow, can be landed after a chouwan floater, and opens up many new nitaku (he has a plethora of moves that you couldn't really take advantage of in Evo due to the difficulty of moving into that stance). Also, he has a new [6][P][K][G],[P] that animates like he is going to take a drink but throws a quick mid-punch which is nice for guys who rush in and throw during drinks. A new [6_][K] that has been added that is much faster than his [3_][K][G] (though you still have that), which is nice against those people who love sweeps. The [4][4][6][P][G] has been shortened to [4][6][P][G], making it actually usable (though it still costs 3dp).

Vanessa:
    She now has the ability to change stances before the round starts (hallelujah!). Also, in offensive stance, she has a move that looks like [6][P][K] but hits mid for those people who crouch too much.

Lion:
    He has a new double elbow combo that animates rather quickly, that starts out looking like his [3][P][K][G],[P] that I think hits mid-high. He also has a new flying knee that hits mid but leaves him open on guard.

Akira:
    His [1][P][G] no longer causes yoroke, which is nice. He has a new high kick that causes a low float but leaves him pretty open on miss/guard. He also has the ability to do a stutter step back/go into another elbow after his elbow.

Lei Fei:
    Out of the stance where he has one hand over his head, he now has the option to roll forward instead of just [P][P] or [P]throw. Of course he also has the kick from Sega's site. Not sure if he can bust that out of the roll quite yet.

Wolf:
    He has a new throw that lifts the opponent upwards perpendicular to the ground, takes a few steps backwards, and absolutely buries you into the ground. Damage is pretty nice. Also a new variant of HCB[P][P] that appears to hit low.

Pai:
    I hate Pai in Evo, and it looks as though I will continue to hate her tits off in FT. I don't know any of her inputs, but she has tons of new little mix ups and combo starters. She is as fast as ever.

I haven't seen all the characters in action, but I will try and add more comments in the coming days. Other cool shit:

--When you win a vs. match you can choose which one-player mode you want to continue on playing until someone else comes to play.
    --The new stages are beautiful.
    --I didn't notice any changes in fences or ring sizes like we saw between 4 and Evo.
    --The graphics are a bit sharper.
    --The flashes on counter and major counter are much bigger this time around. If you still cannot see them you need to stop masturbating so much, it's bad for your eyes.
    --At least for the location test, there were no -kyuu ranks. You started at sho-dan.
    --The rumoured "fighting style ranking" is displayed at the bottom of the screen next to the area where ranking match/item match info is displayed. All they had so far was things such as "Thrower" "Attacker" and such. I guess they will need more fights to tell anything more specific.

...I guess that is about it. Overall it was tons of fun, and felt a bit faster. The new moves seem to be mostly locical extentions of old ones, it will be as always a challenge to remember disadvantages and recoveries as the number of moves increases.

And oh yeah, even though it was against rules to take pictures or tape, I did manage to get a few pics on my cell phone which I have upped here:
    http://www.omtay.com/~dave/vf4ft/vf4ft.html

I'll post more updates as I get more experience with the game.

2. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

nice........bastard.......end of jealousy....when does the home version come out? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update.

A few questions:

1. What exactly do the new stages look like and how many are there? Are they open or closed (breakable/unbreakable walls)?

2. You mentioned that the overall game is faster. Did you notice any difference in the movement system at all?

4. Chill

Chill +40 DP Content Manager Shun Gold Supporter

PSN:
    Chill58
    XBL:
    Chill PKG
    [ QUOTE ]
    The [4][6][6][P][G] has been shortened to [4][6][P][G], making it actually usable

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh thank you Sega! Sounds good so far. Also could you describe the new stages?

[ QUOTE ]
    Here is a shot of Kohu Megane on a win streak. I was given several very not nice looks by the Sega rep who was watching me take this photo.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hehe thanks for putting your neck on the line /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Probably thought you were a stupid gaijin that couldn't read the "no photograpy" signs. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

5. EUROTRASH

EUROTRASH Well-Known Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

6. EUROTRASH

EUROTRASH Well-Known Member

...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

"One the walls were several lists of basic system changes,..." - You wouldn't happen to remember any of these, if you can read japanese? Maybe just noticing from playing?

7. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Man, being gay must be nice. /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

GJ hookin up the outsiders, u r the man mukatsuku

9. Kusaregedo

Kusaregedo Member

THANK THIS INFORMATION DELICIOUS I EAT VERY CRUNCHY

10. maddy

maddy Well-Known Member

Re: New infor on FT(WTF)

Beside TFT being a 270 throw.....

Akira:
    DBL palm is now a Knee counterable on block, which means it's worse than -17 on block.

SDE is now throw counterable.

[4][2][P]+[G] is can be now more easily struggled. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Knee is elbow counterable. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif (-14)

[4][6][P] has a disadvantage on block. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lion:

[4][K][P]: A new move. Staggger on hit.

[4][K][6][4][P][P]: A new move. Stagger on hit as well.

[6][K]: Float on normal hit. Air combos after that.

Jeffry:
    [7][P]+[G]: An air throw. /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif It seems like Jeffry can catch opponent out of air on their way down.

He's got many new throws including a 270 forward one.

Wolf:
    GS's command is 360 instead of 270. Zangief?

He has a new 270 back throw.

[4][P]+[G] and [3][P]+[G]'s demages got toned down.

Shining wizard is escapable!

Lau:
    3 P+K's command has changed to 3,3 P+K

Jacky:
    4 K+G is now throw counterable.
    3, P,P,P has become 4,3,P,P,P

so much more to come...

11. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

byakko should be no more than -15 on block imo...-17 is just rediculous

12. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

YEEEEEEEEES @SDE. BYE BYE Akis LIVING ON STEPPING AND LOWRISC HIGHPAYOFF MOVES.

Byakko Knee counterable seems hella harsh though.

GS = 360? Why would you do it instead of his 3/4 if it hasn't been buffed?

Jackys 4k+g = TC = /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. KneeNinja

KneeNinja Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:

Akira:
    DBL palm is now a Knee counterable on block, which means it's worse than -17 on block.

[4][2][P]+[G] is can be now more easily struggled. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so much more to come...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad news indeed, I'm not sure why they would tone his Knee down, its not like its been abused in evo /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

this shit is gonna be so much fun.

15. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:
    Akira:

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT
    THE
    FUCK!

16. Siyko

Siyko Well-Known Member

Wow I guess AM2 decided to seriously tone down Akira.
    I wonder if dblpalm's new recovery will put Akira at risk if he ends a combo with it and the opponent TR's quickly....

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:
    Jacky:
    4 K+G is now throw counterable.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What's up NOW Jerky??
    that's what I thought.

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    maddy said:

Akira:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just maybe (please) since this is a test version, crap like this will not come to pass in the actual release.

It's all just wrong.

18. LiMeng

LiMeng Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the info! The news on Shun and Pai put me in tears. Must start training Pai seriously from now on.

19. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

This is gonna be long and by babelfish.

???
    Ring ? ?PK
    ? ? 33P+K
    Outside gate top elbow 214P+K
    Crumbling fist (enemy back) P+K+G
    Mind bundle 16P+G
    Opposition ?/upper step top elbow 6P

* Pie
    Semi- whirlwind 44K
    Jumping step it is green under ? 66P+K
    Back body leg (enemy back) 2P+K (when hitting) P+G
    ? body ? leg 1K+G
    Thunder shaking entrance forest 6P+G
    Tsubame blue pair palm wall/upper step ? palm 4P

* ??
    Pair tiger intense destruction 33P+K
    ? empty link palm (in tiger shape) 9P
    Tiger nail attacking palm (in tiger shape) 6P+K
    Yellow ? chain throat (in tiger shape) 6P (when hitting) P+G
    Tiger nail fist/tiger Tsubame wall fist 4P

* Wolf
    Auger slash 63214P+K
    ???? 4K
    F5 8624or2684P+G
    ?????????? 9P (when hitting) 6P+G
    Snap mayor 3P+G
    Knee lift/knee blast 6K

* Jeffrey
    Lasing crash (in ????????) P+G
    Air slum (during partner aerial knocking down) 9P+G
    Buzz saw kick P+KP (at the time of counter hit) 6P+G
    Neck hanging bomb (enemy looking up down) 3P+G
    ??????????? - 8426or2684P+G
    Elbow stamp/elbow stamp (Ver.VF4) 4P

* ??
    While Kodati it pulls out and - leaf hidden flow positive Jumonji 4K (it pushes)
    Flowing water revolution (in and enemy back leaf hidden flow positive Jumonji) 2or8
    Leaf hidden flow shade red sparrow Sho flying leg 623P+KPKK
    ? You throw, 4P+G
    Arc extending falling 8624or2684P+G
    ? attacking/rock ? destruction 2_3P

* Plate
    Punch knee kick P2K
    In heel sawed (flamingo) 3K+G
    Back knuckle side kick (in flamingo) 6P+KK
    Back knuckle low kick (in flamingo) 6P+K2K
    Foreign angel slow 61P+G
    Crescent wrench heel/spin edge kick 4K+G

* Jack -
    Double dragon 9K
    Spin kick combination 3KPK
    Dragon fist (during sliding shuffling) P+K
    Lightning back knuckle 43PPP
    The Nice trike 64P+G
    Step in middle/dash hammer kick 66K

* ????
    Connected ?recommendation liquor 6_KP
    Independent exchanging cup 46P+K
    ? ? recommendation liquor (liquor 6 or more) 4PP
    Order body recommendation liquor 6P+K+GP
    The connected attacking changeover side ? hand (liquor 3 or more) 46P+G
    The changeover cup hand/side ? attacking 4K

* Lyon
    Rotation ?taking aspect 4KP
    The destruction bone hand P+K+G
    ? ? taking eye 4K64PP
    Exchanging step stopping knee 4K64K
    Mountain-climbing ? car leg 2_6P+G
    ? neck stopping knee/? neck stopping knee (Ver.VF3) 6K

* Mallow
    Fan payment 64P
    Connected sudden style willow pair palm PP8or2PP
    On you kick, - hitting protruding KP
    Body ? side hitting (you avoid, in) P+K+G
    Paulownia branch dropping 2684or8624P+G
    Mountain spirit Izu/float cherry tree 66P+K

* ?????
    ? butterfly wall 236P+K
    ?? attacking 1P+K
    ?bow ?(in ? ?) 3K
    Front revolution (in independent type) 6P+K+G
    Anti- mountain falling down sea 3P+G
    Pair dragon Izumi/Noboru heaven palm 2_6P

* ????
    Switch knee lift (in ???????????) P+KP+KP+G
    Switchback blow (in ???????????) 6PKP+K+G
    Outstepping run sir (in ?????????? and while avoiding) P+K+G
    Leg slicer (in ??????????) 2K+G
    Triangle run sir (in ??????????) 33P+G
    In uppercut/cut-in upper (??????????) 3P

* Hardness
    Palm hitting - haze shooting PK
    Fang dragon 66K
    Front rotary passiveness P+K+G
    Ikaruga K+GP
    ? This - large car 63214P+G
    Area dragon shooting/iron hammer 4P

* Blood
    Sharp chute 1P
    ????????? (in ?????????) P+K
    ??????? combination (during sway backing up) P+KPKK
    Sway back low/row (during sway backing up) K+G
    ??????????? 46P+G
    Rising elbow/rising upper 2_3P

Now what the fuck those things mean and so on (blood = brad, hardness = goh etc) I leave it up to others to discuss.

/KiwE

20. DanniBoySmith

DanniBoySmith Well-Known Member

wow i was short on breath after reading the amount of news that has been posted in the last 12 or so hours! this is some truly wicked info. thanks a LOT m_shun (and to zerochan for the initial post about the playtesting /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif). ok now on to the observations and questions /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif:

Shun: being that i'm also a shun player i was ecstatic while reading about his new moves and stuff so thanks for the detailed explanation there m_shun.

regarding the new [4][6]+[P]+[K] move, does it put you at an advantage when you initiate it in the match itself and not in floats? (like the [6]+[K] does so you can use it to initiate guessing games)

the new [6]+[P][K][G],[P] sounds awesome. hopefully it'll allow shun to drink more during his matches (due to the fakeout you're describing) /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

the change to his [4][6][6]+[P]+[G] throw is nice but imo the deterrent to this move has always been the three drinks it costs shun players (which is why i doubt its usage will increase, unless am2 decreases its drink cost but well, lets see). ok here're my two big questions regarding shun:
    1) have there been any new ways implemented to allow him to get more drinks during a match?? the only reliable way right now is getting the occasional [P]+[G] or drinking via [P]+[K]+[G] while turtling.
    2) any new ways implemented to allow shun to use his HS stance more? (i've always thought they should allow him to use this more since he can't drink from it so he should be allowed to go to HS safely and initiate guessing games from there just like for DS. its mostly for variation but i think it'd really spice up his game). and while i'm talking about handstand, have they added any new moves to it (e.g a longer range mid attack to mix up with his HS [P]+[G]) or changed the properties of his HS [P]+[K] (making it semi or full circular would allow him to auto-align for oki purposes but they could balance it out by making it TC or PC. heck if you get a chance maybe you could suggest that to some of the officials :p).

akira: WOW! i was expecting his dbpm and SDE to get toned down even further but not this much. at least we know why he got the sabaki now. the changes to akira are very interesting to read about however because it seems that am2 really want to change the way he's played. i've always equated akira with ttt mishimas in the way he plays (unparalled mobility due to the psychological advantages derived from a killer 11/12 frame attack (ewgf/dbpm), risk free high damage (ewgf/sde), similar methods of movement (constant CDing), huge damage when meaty attacks connect, relatively smaller movelist compared to other characters, harder exectution compared to other characters, etc). i personally feel that if you fashion a character in the way you do akira/ttt mishimas you'll usually end up with an overpowered character since no matter how well you balance the moves (i.e akira compared to mishimas), it seems the ease with which a character can maintain initiative plays a huge role in their overall ranking (and akira is extremely good at this).
    anyway the point of posting all that was to say that i like the direction they seem to be taking characters like akira/kage in. i'm sure he will get abilities to compensate for the weakening of his current moves but it will be harder for him to maintain initiative when more of his strengths are of a defensive nature (like the sabaki). however i agree in that i don't know why they have weakened moves like [4][6]+[P], his knee and [4][2]+[P]+[G] throw. i never considered them overpowered to begin with /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif. however i DEFINITELY want the sober properties of the standing palm toned down! that move shouldn't take more then a single dp at most (if at all).

kage: finally changed the TFT command. i'm sure it wont hinder hardcore kage's that much though. the only real changes i forsee is that it will go from being a 'reaction' throw (e.g jeff's [2]+[P]+[G]) to 'setup' throw (e.g shuns 270). plus he already has so many good pokes to setup from and that new backflip we saw in the FT video will probably be another setup for the TFT.

vanessa: the stance change news was great! /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif btw is that new [6]+[P]+[K] move from OS or DS?? in general has vanessa gotten any long ranged mid moves in OS (the lack of a long ranged move to act as a whiff punisher has been her biggest weakness in OS imo)?

lion: stopped playing lion awhile back but one of my friends plays lion and no doubt will already have fantasized about a hundred new setups for a move he has yet to see /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

leifei: wow very good news. lei's DM stance seems to become more like lings AOP from tekken all the time. first he gets an exact copy of her T4 AOP move in FT and now he's getting the forward roll it seems. not that i'm complaining, i can already picture tons of new setup possibilities with this new ability: just making an observation here.

jeffry: an air throw!! yes! that sounds positively wicked. however before i celebrate any further i'll ask the most important question jeff players will want to know about /versus/images/graemlins/wink.gif: has jeffry gotten any elbow speed mid attack thats safe or any new defensive options like a sabaki to beef up his poking game??? *praying*

other characters improvements and general improvements sound great as well. i eagerly await any further information /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.