1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 Brad Black Book Strategy

Discussion in 'Brad' started by noodalls, May 18, 2007.

1. noodalls

noodalls Well-Known Member Bronze Supporter

Topic - Vf5 Black Book Brad Burns
    Author - Ohsu Akira
    Source - Myke
    Translation - Noodalls

Brad with is many strings of strong properties is the perfect striking character. Get in there and attack.

Close range fighting based on the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    While Brad possesses many special movements, the basis is the properties of his elbows, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif a fast mid attack that is the basis of an orthodox character. After your standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif hits or is guarded, after your /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif hits or after blocking an opponent's attack, pressuring with a mixup of mid or throw is his basic action, which you should go to intently.
    On a counter hit and crouching hit you get a stagger, after which if you can hit confirm you can go into his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and knock them down, doing some damage.

- Brad's fastest mid is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, and if you can hit confirm it its strength will improve markedly. Practice to make it a reality.

When you have big advantage, look to use /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. On guard the disadvantage is slight, and if it counter hits they are floated for a juggle where you can get big damage. It is slow, so look for occasions where the opponent's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif cannot beat it out to make it strong.

- On guard or evade, if you shift into ducking then ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif it is relatively safe.
    - Although it is high Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is fast and on normal hit will give a combo, so look to hit it on opponent's whiffs.

Moves agaisnt evades.
    Brad's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is fast, hits high then special mid and the first hit is half circular so it is very effective against evade. You can go for a throw after the first hit, or use a delay on the second hit and hunt for a counter hit, using it to its fullest.

- If the second hit is a counter hit, with an additional input you can go into clinch and look for big damage.
    - His /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is full circular, and very effective. Even on guard, *

Mid Strings to control close and mid range.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    The first hit has very short range, but the next middle kick has very long range, so this can be effective and close and medium range.
    The ability to delay is very large, and even if you do the second hit the recovery is slight, so it is an excellent string. In addition if the first hit connects on normal hit, it will combo and give advantage, and you can also go into stances to further improve the ability to attack.
    - The second hit has even more reach than a middle kick. You can even whiff the first hit with the intention of getting the second to hit.
    - If after the second hit connects, if the opponent abares you can do any slipping stance /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for a KO!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    The /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif mid mid string move's properties are essentially those of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. In addition to the properties, the dash motion means that it is easy to use at middle range. Like /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif after the second hit it is possible to go into stances, but this one gives butt stun on counter hit. The recovery is quick, making it even easier to attack with.
    - /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif's second hit can be cancelled in an instant into stances, and from there
    - Ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can be used to good effect. If the opponent doesn't recover, you can juggle them and slam them with a combo.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif comes in with a low stance, and you can dive under opponent's standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to hit them and juggle, and is effective when used from about the distance you start the round at. The second hit must be input very early for it to combo on counter hit, *. The best thing to do is to see if the opponent was doing anything during the first hit, and if they are input that second hit.
    - Looking for the opponent's whiff at mid range is also effective. Input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif in preparation ...
    - And when the opponet's move whiffs input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif immediately. When the distancing is suspect, you can go for the first hit only then follow on from there.

Brad's Special Stances Compendium
    Attacking with his ducking stances.

After using his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to limit the opponent's movements, we should explain the various attacking options from ducking (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif).
    First, you should look to apply the standard mixup of mid and throw. When throwing from ducking, it automatically becomes a 0frame throw, which makes it hard to deal with.
    For his attacks, he can do his mid mid string ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, or his ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif which staggers on crouching hit, allowing for follow up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif for more damage.

- His ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif has quick recovery, is only -3 on guard, and on counter hit goes into clinch.
    - The second hit is a fast knee kick, so you can delay it to get it to hit, or if they guard go for a throw.

With slightly more space you can do long ducking (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif) and do stronger attacks. In particular, the mid mid long ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is powerful, and if the second hit connects on normal hit a combo is possible. If guarded, it is only punishable with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif class attacks.
    For opponents that guard up when they see the long ducking coming, long ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will crush their guard, and a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif will connect from there.

- Long ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif guves stagger on hit as well. For opponents who can recover from the stun, don't go for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif but a throw instead.

Phasing turn
    Even more so than the long ducking, it takes a long time to do the phasing turn (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gifor/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gifor/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif) and is best used in okizeme. His turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is strong in that it is hard to see, but is not very intimidating and the recovery is great, so it is easier to go to his mid hitting turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and strings. Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif gives +3 on guard, and with the follow on move * is mid and can go into stances, letting you chase down your opponent with numerous options. And also, from turn you can throw, letting you beat out an opponent's guard.

- Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif isn't that bad on guard, and on crouchign hit gives stagger.
    - Turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif gives advantage on guard, letting you continue to attack.
    - For opponents who might try to sabaki through your turn punch attacks, remember turn /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif.

Slipping Options
    The most usable of the stances is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gifor/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. To use it well from standing requires some degree of imagination.

- Slipping right /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is a mid hit that gives stomach crumple on normal hit, making it quite easy to use.
    - Slipping left /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif gives advantage just by being guarded, so is good to use from mid range.

Vs Brad Burns
    While on the one hand he has attacks with very good properties, his throws have very poor properties. The key is by limiting his throwing directions, you can avoid big damage.

Hunting Brad
    If Brad can force his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif to hit as a counter hit, he's just about won.
    Also, if his option from stance hits on counter, he can link to big damage.
    - The most important thing to not do against Brad is abare. Take your guaranteed damage to wear him down.

Basically, DO NOT ABARE!
    While his attacks are high quality, his throws are below average. Using ETEG against Brad and you've just about won. If you break with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif, you can suddenly make it very easy for yourself.
    Also, if you can consciously evade towards's Brad's stomach side, you can evade his /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and make your defence even safe. Spotting foot stance in an instant is the key here.
    Where Brad looks to go for a delayed attack, attacking with a big move as abare in reverse-mixup can work. When you're at small advantage, standing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif can be used to beat out juggle starters.

- In any event if you evade to his stomach, and escape /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif you can cut down his options.
    - If you can predict his *smash hook, duck and then slam them with a big move. If they stop using that you can finally return to a normal play style.

2. SweepTheLeg

SweepTheLeg Well-Known Member

Noodalls is on a roll! Goh then Brad, back to back days. If we could get Lau and Jeffry now... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Thank you again sir.

3. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Thanks, noodalls, you're my hero.

4. tonyfamilia

double post

5. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. I'm glad to see that all the work that I put in brad that the black book confirms a lot of what I do with him. I need to use 4PK more to stop sidestep. Due to the limited range I don't like to use it for that but now I have some ideas. I love that the fact throws out of ducking are o frame throws. Too good!!

6. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for this noodalls!

If I ever meet you in person drinks are on me!

SCS

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Huge thanks, Noodalls!

8. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. I think one of Brad's strongest attributes is he ability to hesitate moves. Last night when me and my friend was playing ducking P<P was doing wonderings and I was getting CH launcher of this move all day. If it wasn't counter hit I was hitting and keeping the momentum. Other moves that are good to hesitate are:

ducking K
    6P, K
    ducking, swaying motion in general
    punches

Also, concering the black book stuff for [6]K, I really use this move. The payoff on hit is great but I don't know how to setup this move. Ideas anyone!!

9. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the info noodles ive been waiting for this

10. tonyfamilia

I use it after a stagger from 6P-ducking- (hold K). Usually after the stagger I do ducking-tap G- 0frame throw OR ducking-K If the opponent doesn't recover quick enough from the stagger off the elbow the ducking-K will pop them up in the air and you can go for a combo.
    But now I'm trying to incorporate his charge knee after the elbow stagger a lot more because even if they block it you get a guaranteed P,K(unless they have godly stagger recovery).
    If your opponent sidesteps early they will get hit and if they start doing 2P mix it up with the sabaki. Once your opponent starts to see the charge he will probably standing-punch you out of it. That's when you start to release it early.
    The earlier the release, the better the chance that you'll land a counter and be able to press P+G and go for the clinch, ftw.

11. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. The charge is great. I use shit a lot. The reaction of your opponent are pretty easy to predict and the cool thing about the charge knee is that it cover step because if they try to evade if you let the knee go before the full charge the knee TRACKS. So in essence you just have to know what your opponent will do. So to summarize the ducking knee options:

Charge ducking knee:

If they just stand there they will get stagger going into throw, mid or low mixup

If they try to 2P you out of it don't fully charge the knee and change up the timing. Also go for the P+K sabaki

If they try to sidestep let go the charge knee so that the knee will track.

In all honestly the only that you have to worry about is dictating the reaction of the player. The options are great for ducking knee!!

Note: Tony, I was wondering you to apply his 6K standing. The move that hits and causes stun to combos on regular hit.

12. tonyfamilia

Hold 6,K (High Kick) is an awesome move but I have to admit that I dont use it as much as I should because I have yet to figure out it's best use or how to set it up properly.
    I've used it to catch opponents when they sidestep towards Brad's front but I have mostly used it catch opponents who spam low attacks and 2P.
    If you're out of range of your foe's 2P but you're holding forward and you think that his 2P is coming do High Kick OR if you see Lion at a distance and you know that he's about to do his dashing low punch/sweep, do the High Kick. As I'm sure you know, it hits opponents while they're attacking low.

I've also caught opponents that thought that I was going to throw and started to do their 2P, BAM!

Rarely I've caught opponents crouch dashing in with attacks or attacking with moves that go under high attacks but I use other options for that. I would love to know what the Black Book says about this move.

13. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Actually since I don't use that move I did not know that it cannot be interupted low until you told and I looked at his move list. Now this move as some power too it. Now to bad on block either. Hmmmmm. I guess one way to set if up is if you do 6P[6]->Ducking, G, K. Since people want to poke him out of ducking this would catch. This is a good alternative if you don't know when they are going to spam 2P thus making it harder to sabaki. Another option could be 4K, P, K series. Since it's pretty fast people might try to 2P you out of that as well so you can do 4K,P[6], K. Have to do some investigation tonight.

14. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

I've basicly left this site due to several reasons but I'll try to help. Some places to use this is after OM P hits normalhit (people tend to underrate how much advantage you get), sideturned position setups, after P hits normalhit mixed up with P>throw, after 2p hits and as a random delayattack. It's also good cause it makes Brad less midbased in some situations.

I'm a huge fan of attacks that allow you to fuzzy after so I don't mind using this after 2p instead of the upper for instance (which you can't fuzzy after). A good tip for getting out this move is to do it with 236 (hadouken) input - that way you don't need to hold forward strongly or buffer yourself to standing into many situations. So; you do 236 K (qcf+k) as the input. As a bonus it feels "better" to do.

15. tonyfamilia

Thanks for that, I had already figured that after Brad's 2P hits on a counter he's at +7 and the move executes in 17 so there is no way that your opponent can hit you out of it.

If you counter-hit them with 2P and they try the fastest moves they have, P or 2P, it's head-crumpling time. If they stand there and block, throw.
    Hey dont leave the site, dude. A lot of people here appreciate your advice and videos. Hope to see some Brad vids of you soon.

16. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Good setups Kiwe. Definitly have to do some experimentation tonight. Kiwe, you give some good advice so as a up and coming Brad plater we would definitly like to keep you around. Post and continue to give advice man!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif