1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 cover feature this week @ 1UP

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Zero-chan, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

not officially, but...

2. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

I can't stand Sega. My involvement in VF5 just dropped a few points. I'm really not sure I want to do this all over again - not this way, no I just can't.

Edit: It's comparable to being in an abusive relationship. Stop Sega. My asshole hurts...

3. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    I just read this on a thread at SRK about the Evo 2K4 DVD.

Here is a snippet.

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally posted by ShoryuBlanka
    were can i buy the evo 2k4 and 2k5 dvd...i want to but them but cant find them...i would DL them but i dont have a comp. so i rather have the dvd's i would pay somone if they can burn it for me..if anyone can help thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally Posted by blood_pact725
    Seriously I saw links somewhere where you could get them. It might be better just to google it. Glad I got 2k4 when I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally Posted by Snowman
    I wish I had because the 2004 DVD's now are missing Virtua Fighter 4 Evo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally Posted by MrWizard
    VF4 Evo was pulled from the dvd sale because Sega threathened to sue us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is where these originated from.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=121872

I'm really fed up with Sega and AM2 right now!. /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif Why would they sue Evo staff for promoting their game? /versus/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

And know hearing VF5 will have NO ONLINE FUNCTIONS AT ALL just pisses me off. I hope this isn't true.

Sure I know online play was out of the question but I thought VF5 for PS3 would have some functions like downloadable patches/profiles and item/wallpaper updates. We know this is very capable for Sega to do if they wanted.

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

/versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif /versus/images/graemlins/deadpan.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. foda500

foda500 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

not officially, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope they add those single player modes.

But it's Sega... /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Originally Posted by MrWizard
    VF4 Evo was pulled from the dvd sale because Sega threathened to sue us.

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn this is getting to the point where my morals are coming into play with a damn videogame : / , vf5 is already got a sour taste in my mouth before I've even played it,
    it's almost as if AM2 want the entire world outside JPN to just forgot about VF with the shoddy effort and attitude shown thus far, frankly supporting vf right now the balance between fun and chore is slipping /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

This is just a guess but I would say the reason that EVO got sued over including Virtua Fighter 4 : Evolution on the DVD is that Sega actually licenses and allows Virtua Fighter match footage on DVDs for Japanese tournaments such as Beat Tribe or Tougeki Super Battle Opera and others from what I can tell....Sega probably didn't want any money made off of Virtua Fighter without them either getting a percentage, or at least approving the use of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo on some DVD. I mean for VF4 all of the tournaments held by Sega were streamed internationally online and live...but the latest ones such as OTE5 and KS4 are meant to only be viewed from Japanese IPs.

However, this could be SoA being stupid, as aren't things like the VF guide books like the white book etc. made by third parties outside of Sega, and they don't get sued over in Japan do they? And I've never heard of the SBO people being sued.

Again because EVO got introuble for using a VF game, why would they have any incentive to put VF5 in EVO2K7 tournament if they won't be able to put it on the DVD?

Of course not having VF5 at EVO2k7 does insane amounts of damage to the VF community as a whole, not just Japan. So again way to fuck up Sega...but as usual it seems that not only does Sega not want to have anything to do with promoting VF outside of Japan....but they are hindering it. Ridiculous and unbelievable. Sega really needs to look at a company like Blizzard or Vavle who encourage promotion of their games in any way possible (aside from piracy of course).

And not having ANY online functionality for VF5 has long term implications for the VF franchise in my opinion. To me this means Sega has no interest in developing any sort of online features for the VF series in the immediate and long term future. VF6...online? I'm not optimistic anymore not that I heard they aren't going online for any aspect, even small stuff like chracter customization in VF5.

8. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Honestly, I hate to say it, but I've started feeling this way too.

It's a combination of SEGA AM2 really not considering the US market at all (which I guess can't be helped), and SOA being really passive in helping with any kind of promotion to the hardcore scene, which is really where a fighting game gets its legs.

It's really difficult to defend Sega. I really love VF5 and will play it when it comes out, but I don't want VF5 to be completely ignored by the US competitive players like VF4 was. I want to have events in the works with famous US players that can really show the game in the way it's meant to be shown.

it's depressing ...

9. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]

However, this could be SoA being stupid, as aren't things like the VF guide books like the white book etc. made by third parties outside of Sega, and they don't get sued over in Japan do they? And I've never heard of the SBO people being sued.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the white book and such, they acquire the license to create the Guide.

I don't know how SBO works but they probably have a similar arrangement.

10. Pai_Garu

We really can't fault SOA for how the home port is shaping up. Although it would be nice if SOA could have somehow convinced AM2 to give the US some exclusive features, it's something that's pretty much out of anyone's control.

Still, that's no excuse, especially considering the fact that nothing else is being done at the moment to fill in the gap such as events or accommodating the fans by releasing the stick in the US.

Nevertheless, it's a difficult thing to do as fans to really give up, since that just makes things even worse. Hopefully something will change in these two months.

11. Superking

Superking Member

Well, there is still time until the home release hits in Japan and North America (JP: Feb 08th, NA: Apparently Feb 20th), so who knows what will happen.

12. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

This just in...sega hates you.

13. Poppa

Poppa Well-Known Member

B...b...but I love Sega!

/versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

yeah lol, frame counter was in the Evo version. Super unintuitive as well....

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice if someone could confirm if the frame counter is any different to that of Evo's (three different flavours mind you). If it's identical, then I think the attention it received in this 1UP feature was unwarranted.

[ QUOTE ]
    I guess the only thing new is being able to control the second character via the 2p side.... I guess that is one way to encourage versus play...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Encourage versus play? I doubt it. But having the facility to have another human to experiment and "train" with would be a great addition IMO.

15. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

Sega really needs to look at a company like Blizzard or Vavle who encourage promotion of their games in any way possible (aside from piracy of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity what international promotion did those companies come up with?

16. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

17. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Cuz said:

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

Sega really needs to look at a company like Blizzard or Vavle who encourage promotion of their games in any way possible (aside from piracy of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity what international promotion did those companies come up with?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Blizzard has sponsored tournaments for their games (WC/SC) in Europe, the U.S. and Korea. In Korea there are Starcraft and Warcraft TV shows. They put tons of TV ads on internationally for their games, and even recently they put World of Warcraft into an entire South Park episode.

From Valve's website: "This December, the CPL 2006 Championship Finals will feature a $100,000 Counter-Strike tournament at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Dallas.

Free spectator passes for this year's CPL Counter-Strike Finals will be available online commencing, Thursday, August 31, 2006..."
    Thing such as getting affiliated with tournaments helps promote their games, but just as importantly it helps keep those scenes alive.

The point is that Sega does almost nothing in the U.S. to encourage people to play VF. It's not in the arcade, there are no promotions, and we have to import the arcade sticks that should be bundled with the game anyways.... /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

18. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Cuz said:

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Blizzard has sponsored tournaments for their games (WC/SC) in Europe, the U.S. and Korea. In Korea there are Starcraft and Warcraft TV shows. They put tons of TV ads on internationally for their games, and even recently they put World of Warcraft into an entire South Park episode.

<font color="red">This is neat. Except that I don't think Blizzard put WoW in a South Park show. I think South Park put WoW in. </font>

From Valve's website: "This December, the CPL 2006 Championship Finals will feature a $100,000 Counter-Strike tournament at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Dallas.

Free spectator passes for this year's CPL Counter-Strike Finals will be available online commencing, Thursday, August 31, 2006..."
    Thing such as getting affiliated with tournaments helps promote their games, but just as importantly it helps keep those scenes alive.

<font color="red">Yeah Sega has tournaments in Japan. Valve, an american company, have there's in the States. </font>

The point is that Sega does almost nothing in the U.S. to encourage people to play VF. It's not in the arcade, there are no promotions, and we have to import the arcade sticks that should be bundled with the game anyways.... /versus/images/graemlins/lol.gif /versus/images/graemlins/tear.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you honnestly think arcade operators here would have forked over the money to get the machines? If I remember right the VF5 machines were incredibly expensive.

I do agree that the whole arcade stick thing will be stupid if we can't get it domestically.

19. Pai_Garu

[ QUOTE ]
    Cuz said:

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll show you one thing
    http://games.enet.com.cn/zhuanti/wow/attachments/wallpaper/pics/cocacola_she_800.jpg
    (it will say access denied, but click the link shown on the error page)

This requires some explanation. This is a picture showing a popular Asian pop group being the spokesperson for WOW in china. Along with promotions made with coca cola. In China, when you buy a can of coca cola, it has wow characters printed on the can.

Granted, blizzard is ridiculously rich. But this shows you the extent that a company is willing to go through to invest in their games.

20. Cuz

Cuz Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Srider said:

[ QUOTE ]
    Cuz said:

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll show you one thing
    http://games.enet.com.cn/zhuanti/wow/attachments/wallpaper/pics/cocacola_she_800.jpg
    (it will say access denied, but click the link shown on the error page)

This requires some explanation. This is a picture showing a popular Asian pop group being the spokesperson for WOW in china. Along with promotions made with coca cola. In China, when you buy a can of coca cola, it has wow characters printed on the can.

Granted, blizzard is ridiculously rich. But this shows you the extent that a company is willing to go through to invest in their games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have to give full props to Blizzard, not only do they actually promote their stuff well, but they will actually delay a game to make sure it's ok to be realeased.