1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 cover feature this week @ 1UP

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Zero-chan, Dec 17, 2006.

1. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah I have to give full props to Blizzard, not only do they actually promote their stuff well, but they will actually delay a game to make sure it's ok to be realeased.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has as much to do with deep pockets as anything else. Same with Valve. Most video games companies would do the same thing if they could afford it.

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Like I said, yeah they have the money to do it.

The difference is however, that they decided to invest some of that money instead of sitting on it when they know clearly that no matter what they do, they'll make money anyways.

3. Tsobanian

Tsobanian Well-Known Member

Folks someone post the 1UP article here ,'cuz 1UP's page doesn't load (AS USUAL!!!)

4. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you honnestly think arcade operators here would have forked over the money to get the machines? If I remember right the VF5 machines were incredibly expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
    not if you just buy lindbergh and use standard res and 4:3,
    our operator tried to buy vf5, ACCESS DENIED! lol
    Someone needs to email that pic to AM2 HQ.. /versus/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    to be fair, AM2 shut down use of VF footage for Beat Tribe in Japan as well. It seriously hurt the income of one person who's probably done more to promote competitive VF in the world than anyone. Probably because the BT vids were $10 each, and had more & BETTER footage than you'd see on Sega's $60 tourney vids. Either way, point still stands: they care more about protecting the IP from anyone else than they do about the consumers.

So, the question is: What, as a VF fan, are you going to do about it?

answer in 99.99% of cases: buy the game & lick my wounds.

I want to see how people feel when they shell out the $ for a PS3 & all these goodies when it's announced for the 360 w/ some kind of online function, and they already had a 360 + a DOA stick.

6. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to see how people feel when they shell out the $ for a PS3 & all these goodies when it's announced for the 360 w/ some kind of online function, and they already had a 360 + a DOA stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it.

Have there been any kind of hints or announcements of a Xbox 360 port of any kind? What leads you to believe that the game will come out on 360?

7. Pai_Garu

It's a rhetorical question.

8. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Lack of online connectivity may not be Sega's fault

The lack of online connectivity may not be Sega's fault. It's well known that Sony did not supply its network code to developers until very late in the game. Some of the early PS3 games do not have online play even when their Xbox 360 counterparts do. So maybe by the time Sony finalized its network plans it was too late for Sega.

That said I would be very disappointed if Sega does not provide updates to version changes. I think it's pretty clear that SOA is mismanaging the marketing behind this game.

Also, comparing VF5 to WOW is ridiculous. WOW makes crap loads of cash, VF does not.

9. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Re: Lack of online connectivity may not be Sega's fault

Didnt AM2 confirm it would not have online functions months ago and people are still complaining about it like they only just found out it wouldnt.

10. Pai_Garu

[ QUOTE ]
    ice-9 said:

Also, comparing VF5 to WOW is ridiculous. WOW makes crap loads of cash, VF does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compare it to Tekken or DOA then.

11. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

oh hey here's something

My bit's up. I wrote this in such a way as to hold the interest of those who've never touched VF before in their lives, so don't expect a detailed technical document or anything. Also, please don't yell at me if you feel your character was overgeneralized.

Some of Mielke's edits/additions to the piece do leave me scratching my head a bit. I guess he didn't want his character of choice being called a "spaz", even though that's kind of what "abare" is. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I gotta give him props for the whole cover feature - he's really been working his ass off to spread the VF love far and wide, and I really hope it'll pay off.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Another thought -- maybe Sega isn't offering online features because they don't want to operate any servers which would be necessary via the PS3. Sigh...hopefully they'll port the game to the 360 and make rectifications. With Xbox Live Sega would use MSFT's servers.

I never expected online match play, but not to have any online features is ridiculous.

13. Pai_Garu

Should I post a picture of AM2's online update service for their arcade machines? How do you think Version B was distributed to the arcades....? hehe...

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: oh hey here's something

Great article! A very entertaining read! /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

15. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yah but that's for Japan's arcades right?

16. Pai_Garu

Of course, but it shows that it's entirely possible for them to implement something similar for PS3 if they chose to.

17. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

The game itself doesn't need to have any online functions in order to provide updates. All they'd need to do is provide them on Sony's "Live Marketplace" or whatever they call it. Download it from there and it will patch the installed files on the harddrive.

So Sega still has the possibility and will remain to have it after the game is released as well.

18. jamesmielke

jamesmielke New Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Zero-chan said:Some of Mielke's edits/additions to the piece do leave me scratching my head a bit. I guess he didn't want his character of choice being called a "spaz", even though that's kind of what "abare" is. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif But I gotta give him props for the whole cover feature - he's really been working his ass off to spread the VF love far and wide, and I really hope it'll pay off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the kudos, Heidi. You did a great job under such a ridiculous time constraint (my bad). Regarding the edit from 'spaz' to 'scrub,' though, that was a request from the copyedit department, who are quick to edit out anything that might be taken in offense. In this case, 'spaz' believe it or not, could be construed as condescending to epileptics or something stupid. So when they asked what to change it to, I figured 'scrub' would be best, since that's what people (Shane) usually says when he gets stomped. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But yeah, I have to make edits. I'm an editor. :p

19. Pai_Garu

Hey Mielke,

Don't know if you'll see this, but thank you for all the work you've put in to cover VF5. We really appreciate the exposure that it's getting.

20. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    GJ 1UP

James, just wanted to echo Srider's sentiments and thank you for the great effort you and your team have put in with the VF coverage on 1UP.com.

Keep up the fantastic work!