1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 Gameworks Schaumburg IL pt1

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by hgamer, Sep 4, 2006.

1. hgamer

hgamer New Member

Wow, so I got to gameworks at 9:00 ... 10 bucks unlimited play till 1:00, woot.. can't beat that deal... If i didn't go for that its 13 credits and vip is 11.3 I believe... how much is that... I believe it was something like $25 bucks for 450 credits.

I was excited and I went with my cousin Jay, and later up faustino came as well. A little history, yes, back in the days VF3 was all I basically played and I played it religiously, I got a ps2 also when it came out and Played maybe a pinch of VF4, maybe a months worth at best, and as for VF5, walking in I didn't print out any move list and went in completely naked as far as what to do, or what you could do.

VF5 at gameworks is located at the top and is next to one of the DDR machines, so all night long you hear blaring music next to you, while this may sorta suck, when I spent my time on the side line after losing, i'd watch the girls and see them bounce....As hannibal lecter would say" love your suit"

Anyway, the game, if you noticed i posted a question earlier is the hardware of VF5 the strongest ever, and more so then the PS3 which hasn't come out yet. Why did i ask this, while the game is visually beautiful, the cut scenes from the opening intro as well as their opening sayings to each match is no way the same when the actual fight comes into play. I mean i really have no idea what to expect about graphical capabilities but if your thinking your gonna get final fantasy advent children, were still a long way from that... So now I'm sorta wondering what am i seeing on youtube when I watch PS3 stuff... I mean, if VF5 is the best that graphics can offer, then......well, sorry to say it, while it looks awesome... were still at yawn stage and not at the point where cgi takes on real game play.

I believe i was able to try all my characters, and I didn't video tape anything i played coz we bascially are at beginner stages once again, and there'd be nothing entertaining to watch from it... bascially several guys doing VF3 moves on a vf5 move..... I can't talk about detail of the game coz guess what I'm no expert in vf5 as back in the days I can talk about VF3 inside out. But an early judgement from me, is that the gameplay seems sorta similar to VF4... what's the difference, don't know, right now you know how i b###h at companies lack of innovation from one sequel to another.... I'd be hypocritical to say, that at this moment VF5 doesn't feel like the same thing..... Like i mentioned i've watche video of vf5, i have no idea what they have inteneded to change from VF4 to VF5, so just off my first impression... what can i say 2 new characters, i know they got rid of the evade button which i loved in vf3, all the way back in the vf4 days.... but so be it.

As far as I can tell, all the stages are flat once again, and I believe that was the case for vf4.. I'm not really sure what the philosophy was for that change, but recalling the days back in Vf3 days, while the uneven surface was cool to have, most of our serious competition to play on flat ground as well... Backgrounds....... really, its come to the point, where it doesn't matter.... It looks good, but it has really such an unimportant feel to it other then the fact that you can still get ringed out or if its and enclosed arena, you'll hit a wall. Other then that, I think some useless stuff which they've done in the pass and is uncessary.. concrete breakign after you get thrown to the ground, maybe some people think its a cool effect, but hey if your hitting concrete, and you crack it, try to bring the game closer to realism and your not gonna get up.. i mean if htey want to show of enviornment effects, then do a better job then the usual, square setting and look all around you... coz at this point and time in the vf5 series, enviroment has not taking any formidable leap, unlike in the vf3 day.

Okay, part 2 will have more on the game and characters as well

2. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I think it's unfair to say the stages don't matter. In fact, walls are a much much more important part of VF than ever before. I would even say walls are now just as important in VF as it is in Tekken.

It's becoming more and more evident from recent clips the importance of ring awareness in VF5.

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

holy shit its Hgamer@@@!!!

its me piccolo from waaaayyy back /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

welcome back

4. hgamer

hgamer New Member

hola, how are things going, long time no hi

5. hgamer

hgamer New Member

Well, we are at sequel #5, and yet, still no advances with character interaction to background. I can make a pretty strong argument that VF to VF5 has no changes whatsoever in terms of character to background changes other then the graphical improvements. And #3 with the uneven surfaces made for interesting interaction, it was frowned upon in competitve tournaments and were rarely ever selected.

So, at this stage of graphical levels, I've come to the point where the backgrounds are useless. Sorry, I thought VF2 had incredible 3D backgrounds already, so anymore little touches here and there, and your not gonna get me going wow anymore. Its like seeing a supermodel and now your gonna make her were a hotter bikini... good, but not that big of a change to go from hustler rating 1/2 a boner to full boner, if you know what i mean. I'm sure some will argue, well look a the water, oooooo, aaaaaa.... my response yawn. Backgrounds play no vital role in the game at all, and like I said, VF2 got me, VF3 was the major changes, and now from 4 to 5, yeah, looks great, but so what.

I'm not sure what i would like to see in the future.. but interactive backgrounds is something i think they really need to look at, but yet be careful that it doesn't take away too mcuh from the hand to hand gameplay.. so i can see the difficulty that they are in.. but i am in the future expecting to see a leap beteween character and backgroun... i mean, breaking floors as well as breaking walls.... have all been done in the past... so graphical upgrades are yawners for this old gamer

Just wanted to clarify, that my knowledge of the characters especially the new ones are zilch at this point, so when i went there this thursday I wasn't sure who knew what, other then eileen and nacho libre dude where the 2 new characters.. Sorry, i miss taka allot. Anyway, sorta disappointed with them going with the nacho libre guy... no really didn't get to tinker with him that much, with thousands of martial arts out there.... another wrestling type or grappler fighter...., the jury's still out on him since i haven't played with him yet.. as for eileen... until i got home that night and found out she was monkey still, while just watching what we could figure out with her, at first i thougth they made another praying mantis chick... I was thinking she was lion's sister or something, untill i caught some more videos on youtube to see that she does in some ways sorta work the monkey still a bit....

Like I said, no expert at all when it comes to VF5, but i'm sure there are changes in it that i'm not aware yet, and from some reading just recently it seems some kind of combinations that allow certain floats have been changed unlike in the past. The game still plays very linear, and not really in a 3d fashion world that one would expect.. I think i understand why they still go this route, and unless its further limitations wiht maybe not graphics but with joystick control, linear fighting head to head, has a faster feel to it, as opposed to 1 on 1 fighting in a 3d realm. I'd like to see if they can make that jump happen when they eventually go for 6, but i'm sure they're trying to figure out how to fasten the pace of real 3d fighting.

playing jacky was probably the easiest to get into. He's always been the easiest to step into with simple combo's... and at this time it looks like I'm gonna lean towards a charcter i used in the past, but just never really gotten into.. VF2 i was all shun, VF3 Lion for the most part, and while Id like to give everyone a fair shake, I think i'm gonna really submerse myself into learning how to play jeffry... I had a fair amount of success with him on thursday, even though it was only Vf3 play style i was doing, but the power he exerts is great to have.... ... and like always to learn the game for me, really means focusing on one character and at this time he seems to be my front runner....

more in pt3

6. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    hgamer said:
    'm not sure what i would like to see in the future.. but interactive backgrounds is something i think they really need to look at, but yet be careful that it doesn't take away too mcuh from the hand to hand gameplay.. so i can see the difficulty that they are in.. but i am in the future expecting to see a leap beteween character and backgroun... i mean, breaking floors as well as breaking walls.... have all been done in the past... so graphical upgrades are yawners for this old gamer
    more in pt3

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sums it up pretty well.

I will definitely agree that I expected a much bigger leap in terms of gameplay and interactivity as a result of the gradual progression towards realism. At the same time, though, if I can't think of a good way of making it work, I won't expect AM2 to be able to do the same, although they are definitely more capable than I will ever be. I just think it's a bit unfair to say that little has changed. It may be minimal, but it still manages to breath a lot of life into the series, and hopefully the fans will be able to see the impact it makes and appreciate it.