1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 in SoCal! March 29th - April 1st, 2007

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Plague, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    [​IMG]

And one time, in SoCal, there was this Incredible event that brought competitors from around the world all the way here just to play VF.[/size] Well, I was thinking about it recently and I had a great idea - it just, you know, hit me - OMG! VF5! Let's do it again![/size]

So, I sent a few PMs across the globe and you know what...

These guys named [/size]Myke[/size] and [/size]Jide[/size] (not to mention quite a few other European players) said something along the lines of: "You know, that's a GREAT IDEA!"[/size]

Then, on 12-29-06, another PM showed up...

"hopefully it is during March 29th - April 1st, 2007. if so, I will definitelly show up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif " - YOSUKE[/size]

"Whoa..." - Keanu Reeves

YES! Looks like we have confirmation from [/size]YOSUKE, Shang, Ladon, Unsafe_Dan, CaliJared, Hyun, <s>Big Boy, s_aki, IceCold,</s> KoD, KTallguy, Raoul, Srider, Renzokuken, Siyko, SiLLyWiLLy, ice-9, EL_Brisal73, Denkai_84, Shag, <s>schadevf4,</s> Matt_K, Konjou_Akira,[/size] and [/size]Chanchai![/size] Plus, definite interest from [/size]Zero-chan, ghostdog, Shadowdean, gribbly(!), WrathX, Mikey2x4, _TGS_, Namflow(!!), TexasLion, Junosynth[/size] and even [/size]masterpo[/size] of [/size]dojo chi-quanshu[/size] says: "The SolCal(sic) event is not out of the question." Nice![/size]

[color=red]It's gonna happen in a huge way this year and we've already got confirmed players - [i]so here goes...[/i][/size][/color]

[b]It's time to play at Plague's house![/b]

Pack up your PS3s, High Grades, and RAP3s. Bring your new-found VF5 skills and come to battle with the best SoCal, North America, and the world has to offer. Players from all over the globe are welcome to attend. I think it's definitely worth the effort.

[color=red][b]There's always something magical about these events and the universal thought from the people that miss them could actually be [url="http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/138563/site_id/1#Post139543"]this.[/url][/b][/size]

[b]Event Date:[/b] Thursday, March 29th through April 1st, 2007.

[i][b]Quick List of what's happening:[/b] [color=red]Non-stop VF5 Party, Team Battle Friday night, Singles Tournament Saturday evening.[/size]

Now for the details...[/color][/i][color=red]

[b]Party Place:[/b] Plague's House - 8538 Wild Pony Drive, Riverside, CA 92509

[b]Party Time:[/b] Most of the action happens at Plague's House for 24 hours a day starting whenever people show up. Often, players flying in and staying at the house will arrive sometime on Thursday. If they're up for it - VF usually starts right away. If other SoCal players provide housing, it's likely you'll find VF action there, too.

[b]Team Battle:[/b] Prepare yourself and your friends for the Saturday Singles Showdown by competing in [color=blue][b]<s>Srider's</s> the UNM[/size] Friday Night Team Battle Royale![/b]

[b]Team Battle Date, Time, and Location:[/b] Friday, March 30th, 7:30 pm, Plague's House

[b]Team Battle Rules:[/b]
    3 Man Teams. <s>Register your team by posting in this thread by midnight, Pacific Time, March 15th.</s>

<s>There will be 12, 14, or 16 teams accepted for this tournament to happen depending on interest.</s>
    Single Elimination. Random seeding.
    Match is won by eliminating all players of the opposing team.
    No character switching. No one can use Dural. You may change the order of your team prior to your next bout.
    200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds).

[color=red]Now, take the adrenaline you have left and give it all to the [/size][b]Saturday Singles Showdown.[/b][color=red] Prove to the world that you're the best. Honor, fame, and cash await the winners...[/size]

[b]Singles Tournament Date, Time and Location:[/b] Saturday, March 31st, 12:00 Noon, at the [url="http://www.sizzler.com"]Sizzler[/url] Restaurant - [url="http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#q1=1750+Hamner+Avenue%2C+Norco%2C+CA+91760&env=F"]1750 Hamner Avenue, Norco, CA 91760[/url]

[b]Singles Tournament Schedule:[/b]
    12:00-1:00 p.m. show up, register, and set-up
    1:00-2:30 lunch and free play
    2:30 p.m. tournament start [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img]

[b]Singles Tournament Details:[/b]
    [color=blue][i]New venue - new info...[/size][/i]
    Tournament entry of $10 to be split as prize money -
    1st place = 50%, 2nd place = 30%, 3rd place = 20%
    Pay your $10 when you register between noon and 1:00 p.m. [i][color=red]Registration does not include lunch.[/size][/color][/i][color=red]

The venue, [url="http://www.sizzler.com"]Sizzler[/url], is a restaurant. Use of their banquet room requires purchase of lunch at 1:00 pm. They have all-you-can-eat deals that stay in effect throughout the event.

[b]Singles Tournament Rules:[/b]
    Double Elimination. Random seeding.
    No character switching. You can't use Dural.
    200pts of health, 45 Seconds per round, best of 5 rounds (win 3 rounds).

If all this sounds good to you - here's where to stay and how to get here...

[b]Places to stay:[/b] Last year, my house got [i]really[/i] full - at one point, the count was 24 people. Half were sleeping at any given time in any place they could find - including the hallway and even the stone floor. I didn't mind this at all - I thought it was awesome. However, if you want privacy and the possibility of a place to sleep undisturbed, here are some choices for lodging: [color=blue]EL_Brisal73[/size] has offered his couch (which is in front of a giant-ass 60+ inch Mitsubishi DLP TV), plus floor space for three other players - as of now, that space is already taken. Look through this thread for other SoCal players offering lodging. If you want to use a Hotel/Motel, you can use the [url="http://www.yellowpages.com/sp/moreinfo/index.jsp?id=24432575&q=motel"]Circle Inn Motel[/url], which is 1.5 miles from the house, or the [url="http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.asp?MotelId=0398&NOA=&aYr=&aMo=&aDa=&dYr=&dMo=&dDa=&BTR=M6ProximityResults.aspx?searchtype=AD&CP=&TA=&redi="]Motel 6 near Plague's house[/url] which is 2.3 miles from the house. If you wish to call my house your home during the party, here's a list of the soft places on which you can attempt to sleep: two couches, two recliners, three single-person mattresses, and a carpeted area. I recommend you pack sleeping bags and pillows just in case. Once the VFing gets seriously underway, these soft places are not reserved for anyone. If you need to sleep, you use whatever spot you can find - it's likely to be amongst other people still awake and playing VF. A shower is available. I ask that it be used at what should be the quieter times of day - specifically 9am to around 1pm when people tend to be asleep and not needing to use the restroom.

[b]Transportation:[/b] As mentioned below, in the "Flying in to SoCal" section, I or someone else will provide airport pick-up and delivery. If you wish to venture around SoCal, or just want the ability to go somewhere at will, I recommend renting a car from the airport. Public transportation is not readily available throughout most of SoCal. Most fast food restaurants near the house require a walk of over 2 miles. There could be some difficulty getting players from my house to the tournament site. Most SoCal VFers have cars and will, hopefully, assist in this endeavor. If you rent your own vehicle and use it to give other players a ride, you'll be of great service to everyone involved.

[b]Flying in to SoCal:[/b] Please schedule arrivals and departures from ONT airport (Ontario, California). If you're an intercontinental traveler, I believe you must land in LAX. I can provide housing and transportation from the morning of Thursday the 29th through the morning of Monday the 2nd. Please post or PM your itinerary to confirm your visit. It builds excitement and momentum - it's the stuff that gets more and more people to say "You know? I'm gonna buy my plane tickets and go to this thing!"

[b]Driving directions from Los Angeles:[/b]

60 East, pass the 57 and 15 freeways
    Exit Pedley (3rd exit after you pass the 15)
    Right turn on Pedley
    Left turn on Mission (first traffic light)
    Right turn on Agate (first right, no stop sign)
    Left turn on Wild Pony Drive (first left)

[b]Driving directions from San Diego:[/b]

15 North, pass the 91, take the 60 East
    Exit Pedley
    Right turn on Pedley
    Left turn on Mission (first traffic light)
    Right turn on Agate (first right, no stop sign)
    Left turn on Wild Pony Drive (first left)

Address numbers on house and mailbox post. Silver Honda Odyssey in driveway.

PM for phone numbers if you need them.

[b]Will you hit traffic?[/b] Yah, it's Southern California - you bet there will be traffic. Don't let that sway you! This trip is worth every minute of it.

[b]What we provide:[/b] 32" SDTV (480i), US PS3 with VF5, two Virtua High-Grade sticks, four 20" widescreen Dell Monitors with HDMI to DVI cables + audio, two 25" (or so) SDTVs, air conditioning, fridge full of soda, various chips, pretzels, and what-not, places to sit, room for five or six (maybe seven?) VF setups.

[b][color=red]What you all need to bring:[/size][/color][/b][color=red] PS3s, your standard composite cables (the ones that came with your PS3), sticks, and VF5 discs. [color=red]Please make the effort to bring these things - your contribution will add [i]so much[/i] to this event. Besides the 32" SDTV, we have six ready-to-use displays (two SDTVs and four HDTV monitors). [i]We need your gaming set-ups.[/i][/size]

[b]What about food?[/b] Everyone usually chips in for food. Lots of fast food in the area. Good sit-down restaurants, too. Plus, there are pizza places that deliver.

[b]Who's gonna be there?[/b] Well, in the past we've had some of the best that Southern California, the West Coast, the East Coast, and the world has to offer - any one of them could make a return visit: [color=blue]akiralove, andy, Myke, Srider, Joey (GY_beta), mukatsuku_shun, YOSUKE, ice-9, bearcrusher, kurita, Rocket Pai, adamYUKI, kazu, Shag, maddy, thebradSHow, s_aki, DRE, Catherine, MADrox, Kaminari_Oyaji, stompoutloud, Jerky, SiYkO, Pushku, IronJUNKIE, Shang, Shou, Zero-chan, Fishie, growcian, afroconnexion, EL_Brisal73, Team Tokyo Mafia (PhoenixDth, Sean, GoatCheeseBlues), Ken_I, Exile, SillyWilly, KTallguy, Unsafe_Dan, CaliJared, David Lau, THE_WALL, snapz, sirphobos, Lawrence, Paolo, Tierzo, Riona, FatalRose, Matt_K, Type Tenchi, Banes, Mindscan, Whoa_its_Eric, Mike90210, vf5akira, Gribbly and Team Pandemic (Austin, Forrester, Jimmy), sgtsmurf, Joon, Weslyzm, Rikyu, Adam, Amir, Chris, Chris II, Adrian, Peter, Mike, Jacob, Collette,[/size] and many more!

Sometimes 24 people (yes, 24, really) at once with five set ups running!

Maybe this time we'll get six setups going! Maybe even seven!

[b]What's gonna happen?[/b] Lots of VF5. Major good times.

[b]Remember this:[/b] [color=red]During a SoCal VF Event - Sleeping is not important. School is not important. Work is not important, either - that's what every other day of the year is for![/size]

Please post your intent to show up right here on this thread - it generates excitement and results in larger attendance. If any of you remember what happened in SoCal during March of 2006, you know what I mean. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif[/img] And, just in case you forgot: [url="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/135924/an/0/page/1#135924"]The Party[/url] - [url="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/138198/an/0/page/0#138198"]The Tournament[/url] - [url="http://virtuafighter.com/versuscity/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/138542/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1"]The Results[/url]

[b]OMG! Let's do it again![/b][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Pencil me in tentatively. I can't guarantee anything yet, due to my work schedule being pretty sporadic, but I'd definitely love to hop on down and spread the Vanessa love. Lord knows there isn't nearly enough of it.

3. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Way off topic. But I like the sound of calling the VF stick "High Grade". Hay-RAP is fun to say too. But High Grade is just classy lol.

This sounds great though. Wish I were of level to compete or even understand the game lol. Good luck with it all, this is quite the undertaking.

4. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

Plague, as I've told you on irc. I will come.

5. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

I'll try to make this one. I'll start saving up now.

6. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

I'm tentatively in. VF5 woo-hoo!

7. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    Pencil me in as well. That is a bit far off yet to know what my work schedule is. I will be there if my schedule allows.

EDIT

I will be there. I also just ordered my gear off Play-Asia (2 VSHG's and VF5jp).

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Yes! Already the momentum builds! It really means a lot to me, and I imagine other SoCal players as well, that you're all putting forth the effort to come here.

To everyone flying in, post your itineraries. I don't know how it is for everyone else, and when I see that little schedule, I just think "OK. This event really is happening = in a freakin' big way." It's that little extra "wow." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

9. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

In a world of transition right now, and may not be able to attend. I'm trying though...

10. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

I'm very interested.
    I might have to fly in on Friday night instead though...

I'll sort out my schedule and let you know asap.

11. Shang

Shang Well-Known Member

GLC has openly challenged me on vfhome that I will not show on this event for $200USD. While I have tried to convince him that it would not be right for me to take money from a fellow vfer, he has insisted upon this course of action by ways of insults and flames. Therefore I am asking that both GLC and myself to place $200USD each as escrow with VFDC mod Srider within the next 48 hours until 4/1/07. At the time of the party, if I fail to show, the total amount of the escrow will be transferred to GLC. If I do show, the total amount will be transferred to me. Do you accept these terms GLC? Or do you yield?

Meanwhile, I encourage all Bostonian vfers to make an effort to attend this.

12. KTallguy

KTallguy Well-Known Member

Haha! And so it begins!

13. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Shang you're a fucking dork...

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    OOH!

Shangster: rsw stfu you are useless, i'm trasferring the $ to srider now
    [11:25am] Plague-CA: HAH!~ I NEED CAFFEIENE!
    [11:26am] Plague-CA: ERRRODIH&@#*$Y
    [11:26am] Plague-CA: gonna get soda
    [11:26am] Jerky`: get me one too
    [11:27am] Shangster: You have sent a payment! An email has been sent to the recipient.
    [11:27am] Shangster: You have sent a payment! An email has been sent to the recipient.
    [11:27am] Shangster: GLC OWNED!
    [11:27am] Jerky`: wow ok
    [11:27am] • Plague-CA throws Diet Coke w/Lime with great effort in hopes it reaches Boston
    [11:27am] Shangster: confirm plz srider
    [11:27am] Srider: let me log in
    [11:27am] Shangster: jerky go with me jerky
    [11:27am] Jerky`: hands across america!
    [11:28am] Shangster: you and I could be like obei-wan and qigong
    [11:28am] • Plague-CA open his own can... *pssssht*
    [11:28am] Shangster: or luke and leia
    [11:28am] Shangster: wait.. no..
    [11:28am] Srider: it's here
    [11:28am] Srider: they charged like $6
    [11:28am] Plague-CA: Shang: great, two dead guys how up to play VF
    [11:28am] Plague-CA: show up
    [11:28am] Shangster: srider: just do "refund" if he backs out
    [11:28am] Srider: ok
    [11:28am] Shangster: i think the 6$ goes back to me

15. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Flight: Fort Lauderdale to Ontario
    Traveler name: Ladon

Fort Lauderdale to Ontario 3/29/07 6:00 am - 10:27 am Delta
    Delta

Ontario to Fort Lauderdale 4/01/07 6:45 am - 6:00 pm Delta
    Delta

I'm going to try and build up hype here and get some of the players here to this event /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif See you guys there!

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Ladon - you are the MAN, my friend. Thank you so much for committing to this event. If it's ANYTHING like last year, I bet you'll have the VF experience of a lifetime.

17. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Oh man all these guys around the place coming here, crazy!

I can't miss the excitement!

18. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    A-ha! Ridiculous coolness abounds! Today, GoatCheeseBlues[/size] and I tested the PS3 on the Dell widescreen. Runs at 720p just fine. Here's the trick part - gonna add HDMI Y splitter and run two of these per PS3 for dual monitor action. Both monitors will have the Dell Soundbar cheap-ass speakers attached to them! Side to side or back to back VF5 action!

I have four of these monitors to borrow from my company, so if we have three PS3s (ours and at least two others that people plan to bring), we'll have the 32" SDTV, and two dual 720p stations. Of course, should there be more PS3s available, we may spread the monitors around unless you all don't mind some other SDTV set-ups.

All the funky cabling for the four Dell products is already here, just bring your PS3s, sticks, game discs, and the standard composite (red, white, yellow) cables that came with your PS3s (they'll be used to run the audio to the Dell Soundbars). This is how it works...

Video: PS3 HDMI-out to an HDMI splitter connect to two HDMI to DVI cables.

Audio: Cool Logitech Thingy (thanks to PhoenixDth[/size] for discovering this), and then split with this.

Scary note: there are unhappy reviews about the HDMI splitter. I'll get a couple when they become available again (Feb, 2007) and see what happens.

More news about the splitter. Looks like I have a 90% chance it will work:

1) I'm using identical displays with identical cable length.

2) Both displays are HDCP compliant.

19. CaliJared

CaliJared Well-Known Member

I'm there.

20. GLC

GLC Well-Known Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLC has openly challenged me on vfhome that I will not show on this event for $200USD. While I have tried to convince him that it would not be right for me to take money from a fellow vfer, he has insisted upon this course of action by ways of insults and flames. Therefore I am asking that both GLC and myself to place $200USD each as escrow with VFDC mod Srider within the next 48 hours until 4/1/07. At the time of the party, if I fail to show, the total amount of the escrow will be transferred to GLC. If I do show, the total amount will be transferred to me. Do you accept these terms GLC? Or do you yield?</div></div>
    Shangboy, you can't establish a deadline for the money in a place I can't see. Like I'm even reading the tournaments/events forum... That said, I've just paypalled my part of the money to Srider.

I'm so getting your money!