1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 in SoCal! March 29th - April 1st, 2007

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Plague, Jan 3, 2007.

1. CaliJared

CaliJared Well-Known Member

Done. How much and when?

Oh and which DOA2? Xbox, Dreamcast, or PS2?

2. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

I dunno, I don't really play the game =\

Who's broken?

3. CaliJared

Tier List (off memory):

God Tier:
    Tengu

High Tier:
    1. Ein/Hayabusa
    2. Gen Fu
    3. Jann Lee
    4. Ayane

Mid Tier:
    Kasumi
    Hitomi (DOA Ultimate only)
    Lei Fang
    Tina
    Bayman
    Leon

Bottom Tier:
    Zack
    Bass
    Helena

I'll let you use Tengu if you want, even though he's banned from tournaments.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, all of my bases are covered so I'm ultra confirmed to be in LA from Wednesday-Monday.

If anyone needs a sub-in or a fill-in for the Team Battle, I will happily join in. More likely than not, I'll be playing as Lion.

I am guessing it's too late for the Buy.Com tournament registration (haven't read much up on it, will do so now). But I guess if I can get in, I might as well...

At the moment I plan to stay solo in a single at Circle Inn Motel, but if anyone is looking for an extra roommate to split/lower room costs, feel free to PM me.

I'm hoping there's a 24 Hour fitness around (that said, I am still the same out of shape and chubby-but-lovely Chanchai :p). But... I'll probaby end up on the Virtua Workout Plan. That would be doing a few pushups everytime I lose (WHICH IS GOING TO BE A LOT!!!). Aka, the "Kick Chanchai's @$$ into shape plan!"

BTW, I encourage others to join in on the Virtua Workout Plan. Either your game will improve or your chance of death at a gathering decreases. It's a Win-Win Situation!!! (Unless you do so many pushups you die...)

And for the record... My bad on how I worded the DoA statement to Yosuke. I did actually mean it in the "hope it doesn't mess with your VF game" way (but in a kidding manner, not that serious--I don't think Yosuke would ever have to worry about that lol). But to add some honesty, as much as I used to love DoA, I admit I don't give it all the respect it deserves nowadays. I like it, and I think it's a legit fighter. But sometimes I do talk down on it in the way that CaliJared was concerned about--but it is a very legit fighter that has its own balance of priorities as a fighter.

DoA is probably the one fighting game series that has no interference on one's VF game anyways (that and Soul Calibur I guess). But I'm silly enough that I get cross-fighter-syndrome when I play Tekken and then play VF. As much as I suck at Tekken, I still have bad habits of pressing back to block, down forward to hopefully low parry, and other crap when playing VF right after... Talk about a poisoned VF game /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif (my VF gameplay after a couple hours of Tekken).

Anyways, LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE DOWN IN SOCAL!!! And maybe I'll look like more of a dumbass trying to do a real life SPOD in the presence of Myke again... I'm sure he remembers how dumb that looked (but it was fun being silly like that).

-Chanchai

5. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Yo I've got a question about transportation. I'm staying at my friend's place in San Diego and I'm not sure if he's gonna be down with going to the VF Tourney Saturday night, so I was wondering where exactly the tourney is in relation to San Diego and if it's accessible by public transportation. Thanks!

6. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Just so you know - it's during the day.

It's also about 100 miles North of San Diego. Maybe you can take a bus. Not too sure, though. Trains are not so good as I believe you'd need to go all the way to L.A. and then East.

7. Namflow

haha damn, I know you PMed me with the time change but for some reason I didn't see it. Noon is good. 100 miles from San Diego, that seems far. Hopefully I can convince my friend to drive me, although he's about the opposite of what you'd call a big gamer.

are there any websites with bus/train schedules for around here?

also, will anyone be bringing pads to this event? I don't have a joystick or even own a PS3, but I'd be fine playing with the standard ps3 pad if someone wouldn't mind bringing one. thanks!

8. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

I think there are Socal San Diegans that might be coming to the gatherings and tourney. Not sure who is from there , but maybe Plague can help.

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Hey Namflow,

I really hope you can make it. It's a pretty big drive from San Diego. I hope someone from the SD area posts here and can help make some arrangements to help you with the travelling.

Are you planning to go to most of the gathering, or just stopping by for the tournaments?

I would imagine that if you wanted to stay for the gathering, staying arrangements could be made. Your friend could drop you off early on in the gathering. And the Anaheim train station isn't too far from the Buy.Com tournament (I think the buy.com tournament is near Disneyland, it's like a $10 cab ride to the station--not a good walk). From that station you can take a train to San Diego old town or Union Station. It's a long trip, but not a bad one.

Anyways, just an idea.

10. Namflow

If anyone is driving up from San Diego and wouldn't mind an extra VFer in their car let me know. I shower daily and thus don't reek, will chip in for gas, and provide entertainment for the trip in the form of stories from Japan! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I didn't realize how far away it was so I think I'll just attend the tourneys on saturday and sunday if I can make it. The main reason I'm here is to see my friend from college but I won't miss this opportunity to see everyone and get my VF on. A lot of it depends on transportation. One possibility would be to get up there for the Saturday tourney, stay Saturday night, bum a ride to the buy.com tourney, and take the train home from Anaheim to San Diego. Again, I'll talk it over with my friend and see what's up.

That's definitely do-able. It's about a 2 hour ride and costs $20 bucks. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have a train that goes up there Sunday morning.

Anyways I'll keep looking for info on public transit (or bribe my friend for the ride!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Namflow

11. PIZman

PIZman Well-Known Member

gotta miss it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

12. CaliJared

You can take an Amtrak train from SD to Fullerton. That might be the closest to the tournament.

13. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

Weather Forcast
    Thurs. 77
    Fri. 80
    Sat. 80
    Sun.79

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Man, sometimes I just love living in SoCal.

15. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    hey everyone

My Mom has actually just gotten into town from Dallas for the week/end, and I'll be spending time with the family for the next 5 days, so I won't be able to attend any of the fun.

I'd really been hoping to make it out for the Team Battle thing, but family first. If anyone's gonna be sticking around into next week at all, maybe I can catch some of you

have fun everyone!

Bryan

16. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Bryan - you will be missed. Hopefully the next one won't conflict.

Everyone else:

Alright - VF tonight.

Here's what's a happenin'

Going to Miguel's Jr. on Hamner RIGHT NOW. Then back to the house. VF for however long after that starting at 10:00 pm - please come on over - two set-ups running already.

I'm going to ONT myself at around 10:45 - you are welcome to stay and play with Yosuke, Chanchai, and Catherine. I'll be bringing back team NYC around midnight. We can run all night /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

17. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    WOW! Off to a good start!

Last night saw action with YOSUKE, Chanchai, CaliJared, Shag, Denkai84,[/size] and KonjouAkira[/size].

Already three set-ups running, special thanks to Matt_K[/size] for leaving a full set-up for the duration of the event and to Shag[/size] for bringing his PS3 and HG all the way from NYC. Chanchai[/size] brought his HG along as well to complete that set-up. I got two more Dell widescreens waiting - SoCal players please show our guests a good time by brining your PS3s (with powercords and COMPOSITE audio cables), game discs, and sticks.

I'm gonna go get Ladon[/size] from ONT right now.

Lunch might be Chipotle in Rancho Cucamonga. Dinner is almost definitely at Frisco's. After that, it's VF at the house while I'm off to ONT to get Shang[/size]. Watch this thread for more details.

18. Mikey2x4

Mikey2x4 Member

Let me know what time things are starting tonight. I'm off work (in Montclair) at 4 or so. Planning to head out to wherever shortly after that. May stop by my store in Riverside then over to your place Plague.

19. CaliJared

I wish this and the Buy.Com even were on different weekends. =/

20. firstpressing

firstpressing Member

If it's still going to be an all-nighter at your place Plague for tonight, I'm good for about a 2am arrival if that's cool.