1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 in SoCal! March 29th - April 1st, 2007

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by Plague, Jan 3, 2007.

1. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Thanks for keeping us posted, Plague /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

2. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    It's cool. See you tonight. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Also: dinner at Frisco's tonight. We'll all be there at 6:30-6:45 - it would be awesome to see you all there. Possibly go to AI for a little bit after - then back to ONT for getting more VFers.

3. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Hey all - I'm still trying to work out transportation to the Saturday tourney in Norco. I'm willing to take either the train or greyhound it up, but I haven't found a bus line or train line that goes from San Diego to Norco. Are there any big cities that would have a bus/train station close to Norco? And just to double check, this Norco is the horse city Norco right? Ok guys thanks for the help, looking forward to seeing you Saturday!

4. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Namflow,

Yes, Norco is the horse city.

Take Greyhound to Riverside (they have big station downtown). I can pick you up, see your PM for phone #.

To everyone: man, things are in full swing. 21 people and five set-ups running. It's insane. If you're local - show up. If you're not local, show up anyway.

5. Renzo

Renzo Well-Known Member

OK, I'm taking roll for the team tourney right now.

SO far Norcal teams are here, Comic Stealth, NYC, Youth Fountain, SoCal 1 are all here confirmed.

People who are missing:

<strike>CaliJared, Unsafe_Dan</strike>

Castle, Schadevf4, Juno and TX Lion are not coming =\

OK, so there's exactly 8 teams now. We're going to do the brackets soon.

6. supergolden

supergolden Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

Hey everybody,

Safe travel, fun matches and an enjoyable experience to everyone who shows up /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I'm busy with job interviews so I sent Nam instead /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I want videos, results, etc etc ASAP /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

HOT DOG!!!

-Alex

7. SicwiDiT

SicwiDiT Active Member

I kept sending bryan IM's , but I guess you guys are playing.

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Team Tournament Over...

Stunning results...

Florida...

SixAxis...

El Blaze...

One player shines brightest...

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>LADON! King of Dragons![/size]</span>

Yes. We took pictures. Yes. We saved replays. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Burninations:
    #1 YOSUKE
    #2 ice-9

9. 2012

2012 Member

Thanks to Plague and everyone else for showing me some great techniques. I had a great time and hope to play with you guys again!

I can't wait to watch the videos and see all the pictures!

10. comoesa2

comoesa2 Well-Known Member

lplague canyou put the matches on youtube thx

11. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Hey guys, sorry today I could not make it to the tournament due to prior agreement I had for my martial art, afterwards I couldn't even meet with you guys cause my family (who also takes martial arts) wanted to celebrate and I didn't want to be rude by choosing not to be with them.

Again sorry, things get even worse as more stuff came up and again I might not be able to make even the LAN.com thing on time! I even preregisted completely for it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

I will try to make it tommorrow with what I can, hopefully the people running it are not overly strict on time limit.

12. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    "Whoa..." - Keanu Reeves

People going home.

House is quiet for now.

Things are winding down.

Competitors will come back from buy.com/lan soon (I think).

Maybe more VF5 tonight.

Two set-ups left.

Nice.

The tournament went really smooth yesterday. I had really great help in the form of HowBoutSum (Catherine), Matt_K, CaliJared,[/size] and Chuck. I wouldn't want to have done it without you all.

We've got replays of the final eight. Many pictures were taken.

Man, I'm wiped out.

My favorite quotes:

"HEY! Next." - El_Brisal73

"Take the damage!" - Konjou_Akira

"No! NOOO! You need to do general combo!" - YOSUKE

"He's hyping that shit. Don't fall for it." - L_A_Akira

All in all, these events are nothing without the players:

YOSUKE
    Chanchai
    Konjou_Akira
    Shag
    Denkai84
    Ladon
    Shang
    KoD
    ice-9
    Srider
    KTallGuy
    Renzokuken
    Raoul
    Namflow
    Ken__I
    Matt_K
    L_A_Akira
    EL_Brisal73
    CaliJared
    Unsafe_Dan
    SiLLyWiLLy
    akiralove
    GoatCheeseBlues
    PhoenixDth
    firstpressing
    HowBoutSum (Catherine)[/size]
    Chuck
    Riona
    Jack
    Lion-2P (David Lau)
    Pook

Not to forget the other players making surprise appearances over the last two weeks - it was pretty wild to see GodEater[/size] and Shou[/size].

Huge thanks to Matt_K, EL_Brisal73, L_A_Akira,[/size] and Shag,[/size] all of whom brought their set-ups to the event to make sure everyone had enough VF5 - even if it meant hauling a PS3, game and stick all the way from NYC! Your trust in our fantastic community made all the difference in the world.

SoCal is NAVF mecca. Very cool, indeed.

Oh, and one more thing...

YOSUKE[/size] says: "When I come back next year, I want to sleep here."

March, 2008...

Start

Planning

NOW!!!!!

Much love,

Talis

13. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    @abcd Ill see wut Ican do boutdat wellcom

14. SicwiDiT

SicwiDiT Active Member

up replays right now /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

15. L_A

L_A Well-Known Member

Saturday night after the singles tournament, I took team nocal (Srider, Ice-9, Raoul, Renzokuken and KTallguy) as well as Namflow and Chanchai out to Yabu Soba in Santa Monica for food and drinks. Afterwards, we came back to my place for some vf and much needed rest for the Buy.com tournament on sunday. Unfortunately, the heater in the dojo where the guys slept was too small to keep the room warm overnight and some had trouble getting to sleep. Sorry guys, I promise next time will be alot more comfortable. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Big thanks to Jeremy for picking the guys up at Yabu after I had to split.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    You guys must have had a blast, it sucks that I couldn't be at two places at once! Can't wait to see everyone again, it was really, really great meeting every single one of you.

Thanks for the post L_A_Akira, it's great to see some pictures. Hopefully more show up soon (I almost regret not taking my camera)!

KoD, Shang, Talis, Gerald, SillyWilly, Namflow, Keenan, ice-9, Srider, raoul, Matt-K, Chanchai, GoatCheeseBlues, Catherine, Yosuke, Shag, Dennis, Rodney, spotlight, Alex, Ken_I... you guys rock. This weekend has been one I'll never forget /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

17. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

L_A_Akira,

Thanks for everything. It was a real pleasure meeting you and hearing about the old Street Fighter 2 series and Virtua Fighter 2 scenes in LA. I wish I could see Tomo and his SF2 matches (any chances they'll ever be YouTubed off of old 8mm?!).

You are also one seriously nice and respectable guy. Sincere gratitude for every big and little thing you've done throughout the gathering.

Yabu Soba was amazing! Ice-9 and I were just nuts about the place (yes, even before the alchohol hit the Ice). Every dish was excellent and we racked up a huge bill. The only regret I had was maybe feeling like I could have tipped the server even more. Yabu Soba is going to be an LA hotspot for me in future trips (though I hear you know ALL the great places to eat).

Your "Training Room..." Awesome. Best kept secret in LA (until all of these pictures and comments popped up on VFDC, including this post). That said, I pity the guest who doesn't treat the room or your house (also awesome) with the respect and cleanliness it deserves. I almost want to call it the "Temple of LA Akira" but you seem like a really humble guy so... "The LA Akira Dojo?"

Aside from the temperature that night, it was a very comfortable place to rest, relax, and train (and watch everyone try to tone their abs). To anyone else reading this, you can't tell in pics but the floors are very nice!

And then there's Jeremy. You've got an awesome friend there. Not to mention one hilarious dude.

Keep the pics coming ^_^

?????????? (umm... this was supposed to be hiragana script for Arigatou gozaimasu)

-Chanchai

18. SicwiDiT

SicwiDiT Active Member

when replays goin up

19. Krafty Matt

Krafty Matt Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Matt_K
    XBL:
    KraftyMattKraft
    Here is a group photo that was taken right after the 1v1 Norco Tourney:

[​IMG]

And your brackets:

[​IMG]

More to come when Chuck is not feeling lazy and actually give me the photos.

20. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE