1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 in WCG 2008 this year

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by PerfectLegend, Mar 15, 2008.

1. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

@Dennis. Not sure. some think it may only be one player per country.

@Slide, damn man, that's not much warning time at all. I thought even Aug 30th was quick considering it's just now being announced.

2. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

The email also said that I have a "HIGH PROBABILITY" of advancing to the US Finals. It was in caps. Did yours say this too?

I figured this was a joke email or something, cause of that, and how I wasn't given a location, and this thing is 3 weeks away. Plus it said that the date isn't even guaranteed.

I have no idea how this is working.

3. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

Mines said that as well "HIGH PROBABILITY" ?? not exactly sure what that means other then If I win I qualify and If I lose I don't. Hopefully there will be prizes for the winners.

4. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

Yeah, same message I got, must be universal for all regionals. Almost wondering if they are considering the idea of having all regional qualifiers just advance to nationals. I mean, the regionals are going to be so small they're barely even round robin worthy haha. Prize incentive would be nice like Denkai said though. Cause yeah, if we all advance, we should all agree to not go to regionals, and then just meetup at the nationals.

5. scytherage

scytherage Well-Known Member

Oh man, I can't believe it. They changed the rules for WCG VF5---no more shortcuts!

http://www.worldcybergames.com/6th/2008/Games/rulePDF/WCG2008_OfficialGame_Rules_VF5_ver_1.2.pdf

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Controller

 Personal equipments such as arcade stick are allowed. (WCGC will provide only official Microsoft Xbox 360 game controller at the tournament area.)
     Button settings for everything other than Punch, Kick, and Guard must be set to "no use". (LAN) </div></div>

I actually used shortcuts originally when I started out on the game. Since I've bought a hori stick I've been practicing without the shortcuts now. It's much harder to play because if you don't press the buttons at the same time, sometimes the wrong move gets executed.

So controller users have no more advantage in being able to press P+K or P+K+G easily by just pushing one button (LT or RB). Only the buttons P, K, and G can be mapped to the controller at one time. This evens the playing field for stick users...though I can imagine a lot of players who are so used to the pad aren't going to be happy about it.

6. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

While I do find it odd they put that rule in there, oh noes, people have to play the game as it was intended now.

7. scytherage

scytherage Well-Known Member

I'm all for it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

8. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I'm out.

I use a controller and pressing PKG and KG is incredibly frustrating using the face buttons alone.

It's not that big of an advantage at any rate, but who am I to argue?

9. BLACKLAC

BLACKLAC Well-Known Member

stupid imo

I mean if it wasn't for this rule stick would never stand a chance against pad /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

10. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, hitting the buttons on a stick simultaneously does lead to human error from time to time. Your tech roll doesn't come out, your OM doesn't come out, etc etc. Think of it from playing a character like Lei Fei, and never having human error play a role in the changing of stances. From this perspective, pad players have had an advantage.

However, I know I that I could never do the thumb movements that many pad players do and I would consider them to be at a disadvantage in terms of stick control - mind you, some of them are remarkable.

11. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    YAY! SCREW PAD PLAYERS! I SAY WE PUT THEM ALL ON A BOAT, FLOAT THEM OUT TO SEA THEN TOSS A GRENADE! F*$K'EM!

I kid... I kid! It does suck that this new rule has risen. Denkai I truly feel sorry for you if this rule sticks. Even more so for CidKid who has a top seed. I totally agree with what Llanfair said. I have always thought it was unfair that pad players could button map to prevent human error in terms of making the correct buttons connect where as a stick player can make these type of errors many times in just one round. I fall victim to command error all the time when it comes to doing OM. Often I get the first hit of SPOD when ever I try to OM into the screen(UP). At the same time though I do feel for them if they were forced to use a stick. It would be no different if I was forced to use a pad. I would be fucking pissed. Pads are like kryptonite to me. Put that shit in my hand and this Superman is fucking done!

12. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Unlike Denkai, Cidkid iirc only uses three buttons. I believe he does set a fourth button for pkg though.

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

plenty of time to adapt though. seriously. I empathize with pad players who bind buttons because I'm still not sure how they manage to play at all on a pad but at the same time I get the idea behind it.

14. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

So I'd kinda stopped doing WCG but for some reason I got an e-mail from them saying I made the Final Four for the 4th pacific qualifier region . . . But I don't see my name on the actual document that has the scheduale on it. Here's the e-mail, it looks just like the ones I got in the past. I see someone named "Final" on the list and there are no stats on the guy so I"m guessing WCG gods spun a magic bottle and it landed on me to round out the final four. I wanna check so I know if I"m fighting tonight or not.

WCG Competitor,

You have reached the Final 4 in the Pacific #4 Virtua Fighter 5 tournament, which will be played out as a double elimination tournament starting on Tuesday, July 15 at 8:00PM West. Matches will continue on Tuesday until only one player remains. It is very important that all matches are completed on Tuesday, so if there are any scheduling conflicts you will need to alert an admin immediately. Please check the new bracket for match times.

· Final 4 bracket: http://stem.esportsea.com/?a=x.schedule&stageid=1817

· Rules: http://qualify.us.worldcybergames.com/files/wcg2008/WCG_2008_Official_Game_Rules_VF5_ver_1.pdf

· Competition Guide: http://qualify.us.worldcybergames.com/files/wcg2008/WCG_2008_VF5_Competition_Guide.pdf

· Support : http://stem.esportsea.com/?a=support&eventid=1153

As always, if you have any questions or need assistance at any time, feel free to open a support ticket.

Note: If your opponent is unavailable at match time, please report a 1-0 score in order to advance the bracket.

Good luck in the tournament.

15. Tricky

When I decided to get serious with fighting games I also threw away my controller and went for stick use for this EXACT reason. I didn't want to get fucked by a tournament that wasn't going to allow me to button map stuff, cuz it is really hard to do some button combinations with one thumb.

I'm sorry for you pad players in one way, but at the same time it's the risk you run as a pad/mapping player. *sad face*

16. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Don't feel too bad for Denkai. He can use a stick very well as he used to play FT on an arcade cabinet.

Him just like the Golden twins prefer to use a pad when playing on console.

17. Tricky

I'll never feel bad for denkai cuz he owns my face.

[​IMG]

Me after fighting him

18. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

lol this isn't the first time a tournament said I couldn't map buttons..I usually do anyway. I will attempt to do it anyway this time as well. I don't think that it's unfair to map buttons I mean Pad players generally use their thumbs to play (just one finger for all the buttons including the mapped ones this surly equals things out IMO) I will ask my opponent if is it is ok with them if I map them and if they say no then I will first cruse them out and then beat them with the Stick.

19. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I constantly hear people saying that playing a pad in any fighting game is to lower your own ability.

Who here would honestly have a problem losing to someone who binds their buttons on a controller?

And if you do, why?

20. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    although mapping has it's advantages it doesn't really bother me. Now if they are using a mapped control that has rapid fire features, now that's a very fucking big problem. I remember way back playing Street Fighter Alpha 3 against someone and he was using Guy. Guy has this canned just frame combo which is his old final fight string. It's Jab Punch - Strong Punch - Fierce Punch - Roundhouse Kick. Now this is a pretty damn tough combo to do consistently since you have to perfectly time each hit, but this guy who I know is not that great of a player is landing this combo left and right. So I look over and I am seeing all these flashing lights going off and low and behold the fucker is using rapid fire. So I asked him what's the deal and he tries to justify it by saying that he only abuses it for that combo because it's to difficult and his hands just can't mimic the timing. Well I said that's what it means to practice. He never stopped using rapid fire by the way. Thank god I never took the game seriously.