1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 in WCG 2008 this year

Discussion in 'Tournaments and Events' started by PerfectLegend, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

That was the whole problem with playing people over the internet with that game. Not many people in the U.S. can even PLAY Guy, so the only thing they have is the chain - which they autofired, and the rest of their game is complete shit outside of that. You can tell they're using auto on that chain by the speed at which it comes out, it's clearly faster and perfectly linked, unlike normal human input for it. When I played, I played Guy and I was one of the only people that could even do his combos without cheating(cause I play on stick anyhow), and even done so at tournaments and gatherings.

Too bad no one plays that game, cause it was the best SF game imo.

Anyway, that game is a perfect example as to why I hate auto-fire users and hotkey users. V-ism activation takes 2 buttons but it's a crucial option in the game, and if someone is hotkeying it never fails, and you play hoping that it fails every now and then. Another example would be Dhalsim teleports, Zangief lariats, and Gen stance switching, which would never fail with human input error due to someone hotkeying. Those same online players got raped on a cabinet.

2. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Hi all, I've made first in the online UK VF5 bit but due to the site being run a bit rubbishly, I have no idea what's going to happen now. Will I be playing again in a UK live match or something? If so do I just wait for an email to confirm date etc? If anyone can help out I would be very grateful.
    Cheers!

3. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

The way I see it VF only contains 3 buttons not 6 not 4 but 3 (so mapping isn't even a big deal)honestly I played VF3 on a normal DC controller with no Mapping at all and still did good. If I cant map honestly I still would stick to the pad cause for me the button layout was always superior on a stick anyway..its the Stick itself I don't like I NEED a D-pad to perform at 100%

4. smb

smb Well-Known Member

Good point, BlackB.

sure would be nice if there was a new switchnation blog entry.....just sayin

5. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Amen brother. Those are my main characters in A3. Hitting three buttons at a time one would think would be easy, but I can't count how many times in clutch situations where my 3XP or 3XK would fail to come out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

This applies to VF as well for TR/QR/Ukemi and OM.

Side note: I'm really interested how ST:HDR is going to play with certain moves getting simpler commands.

6. Slide

Slide Well-Known Member

as far as VF goes, I kind of see the button mapping thing differently. On a stick your hands are already covering the necessary buttons at all times, and the buffer window is much more broad, smooth, and the game is designed with thinking with moves a step ahead at times.

Hotkey mapping in VF would kind of level the pad playing field as opposed to other games where it gives inhuman advantages. But as far as VF goes, that might just be my ignorance.

About STHD goes, i've kind of falling out of enjoying SF so I haven't been keeping or had any interest.

7. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

While I whole heartedly agree that playing competitively with a pad is something to behold, I do also firmly believe in systems with rules. I'm not a huge fan of systems with rules that have exceptions. So, if people were to allow button mapping on a pad, then the rule should simply be that button mapping is permitted on any controller - if someone should choose to map any of the other 3 buttons on their EX2 stick. Either allow it on controllers of any kind, or don't allow it on controllers of any kind.

This all being said, if the game allows for button mapping, then isn't it in the game and therefore part of the system? (playing my own devil's advocate here). On the flip side, I still have to feel that button mapping removes the element of human error. I cut my teeth in VF in the arcade and my perspective is as an arcade player, not a console player. If it's different than the arcade experience, to a certain extent I do see that as a bastardization of VF.

8. _Denkai_

Well said Llanfair. When Yu created VF he wanted to make the game simple to control with just 3 mere commands your fingers would never have to stray away from the necessary button pushes. Adding more buttons would make things more complicated and scare away potential players at the time. Even if you were to add button mapping on a stick which you very well can it would actually be harder to play with that extra button there if you ask me. The creators goal was to make the game as easy as possible when it came to button presses which is most likely a reason they axed out the Evade button in 3. Button mappings means little in VF

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Sorry, but I think properly timed multiple button presses mean a lot in VF. If you eliminate the possibility of human error with these types of inputs, then you gain an advantage.

Two particular cases off the top of my head where failed multiple button presses can be critical are Throw Escapes and Stances.

Throw Escapes: particularly multiple throw escapes with guard. The consequence of not entering /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif at the same time could potentially lead to:

- a failed throw escape, or
    - an attack instead of a throw escape

If /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif was mapped to ONE BUTTON, the above would never occur. Not to mention that it is sooooo much easier entering (read: MASHING) multiple throw escapes with ONE BUTTON all the while holding ANOTHER button for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif with zero risk of whiffing or attacking! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Stances: Take Lei for example. On a stick with sensitive buttons like the VSHG, if I try to do some really fast dancing it is very easy to mess up the routine. Why? In the stream of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif, all it takes is for one of the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif buttons to arrive a couple of frames early, and then the routine is spoilt resulting in Lei doing some random stance attack. If /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif was mapped to ONE BUTTON, I could dance (read: MASH) until the cows came home with zero risk of spoiling the input with an unwanted attack.

And to Llanfair, just because the console version allows you to do something, doesn't mean it should be allowed for official competitions! Dural anyone? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Denkai, next time we play I want to see you play with no mappings!

10. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Myke. I wholeheartedly agree.

11. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

^Agreed 100% as well.

Anyway, anyone got anymore news on these dang regionals lol? Time is ticking and prices are already getting crazy on tickets.

12. _Denkai_

The only mapping I use is P+K+G and that's only cause I tire out my fingers having to hit all three buttons just to tech roll all the time I don't use P+G. Try hitting 3 buttons with one finger...and also don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but human error when all 3 fingers are always on top of the button is rare if ever..for me at least

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    How do you map your buttons then? I'm just curious to see how you hit P+G, P+K and K+G with your thumb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and also don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but human error when all 3 fingers are always on top of the button is rare if ever..for me at least</div></div>
    When you put it like that, everyone will agree that simply hitting all three buttons at once is child's play! But that's not what we're talking about.

I'm referring to in-game situations where fast and properly timed multiple button inputs are necessary. It's these type of inputs that are likely to carry some amount of human error where the consequence of a failed input can be dire. By combining multiple buttons to one, you significantly reduce this potential for error, and I've already pointed out specific examples illustrating why.

14. Chief_Flash

Chief_Flash Well-Known Member

XBL:
    T1L ALL AR3 0N3
    DENKAI PWND! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

15. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I do P+G and P+K on my pad with A&X and B+Y respectively.

16. _Denkai_

Funny I was talking about in-game situations..its still rare. Perhaps you are referring to tournament play when players feel nervous and some how hit the buttons at different times. As to my buttons configurations let me give you a back history lesson on how extreme I went on VF. Back in the VF2 days (I was about 11 years old then I believe) I had no idea that you can even buy stick for consoles nor did it matter their wasn't any arcades near me anyways. The saturn pad was perfectly laid out and it was Easily possible to hit all buttons combinations with just your thumb (aside from K+G, where you would quickly move your thumb to A and then move up your index finger to C then return to normal holding position) I never used the top keys for mapping (yes back then I used to hit P+G+K with thumb alone that's how good the saturn pad was it was easy). When VF3 came out for Dreamcast The Pad was horrid compared to the saturn but it didn't matter I mastered it and it was IMPOSSIBLE to map any buttons with that thing (trust me you don't want to use those triggers). My main was Akria back then so that was ALOT of pad training right there it was a workout just using the damn thing but I did it well..dont believe me? ask the NYC crew that day long ago when we hooked up VF3. The trick to playing on the pad is that you HAVE to have different holding positions and you have to quickly switch to them in the heat of battle (which is much harder then using Stick). For example its possible to hit PK and PG together with your thumbs easily since P was close to both buttons however, K+G was always tricky but with training I found multiple ways to getting this done quick (Look at the 360 pad and pretend it was a Dreamcast X is Punch A is Guard Y is Kick and B is Evade on the DC their was no other button you would want to use for this game and on the 1 player mode the triggers was meant for the Camera angle) You can see how its easy to hit P+G and P+K with thumb alone K+G however you had to either move your index finger down quickly with hitting A with your thumb or you can tilt the control a little with your thumb side ways to hit K+G so you wouldn't touch B (believe me it sounds like a lot but I would do this lighting speed I had years of practice, I was a competitive kid and I wanted to win to me it wasn't hard..like I said only 3 buttons) The hard part was P+K+G since I used no mapping so I would tilt the control down move my thumb to X and A together and the index hitting Y..and yes I was able to do Spod and DLC perfectly much like how I can still do it now it just took long pad practice and the love of VF. B was the Evade button back then and their was some moves that required you to hit K+E and P+E for P+E I dropped down my thumbs (only command where thumb was not used) and used my index and middle finger..K+E was easy. Trust me I'm no noob with the Pad and If you want to battle me without mapping fine I still send you back to the land Down Under from Which you came MYKE!! you lucky you wont be at NYG :).

As for today you can see why I use a mapping for P+G+K (I also have one for K+G but often I forget about this since I'm so used to hitting K+G the way I did in VF3) I was forced to always switch stance on the pad (and yes I call these stances) for P+K+G and the amount you need it now is insane. Techrolls, DM (in VF4) and for OM not that I can't do it without mapping but I will be required to move that much faster and it would tire out my fingers much faster. Since VF is finally on a pad that has enough buttons I figured eh, since they took out the evade button I might as well fill the empty space and replace it with P+K+G. Sure you may say mapping is easier but without it the one using the Pad is doing at least 10 Times more hand movement then the guy using stick, it evens things out. You may see some pad players holding the pad the way they would a stick with the same 3 fingers surrounding the face keys (I believe Akmal does this) but to me they aren't True Pad players I can tell they never played VF hard back in the day..Whats the point of using a pad if you're going to hold it like a stick? might as well just use a stick.

17. _Denkai_

oh btw Myke I hope you do know that your example is incorrect about the throw escapes..When G is hold Down hitting a map button P+G will have no affect because the game doesn't add another G.Basically if you hold down G while Pressing P+G NO THROW ESCAPE will be recognized prob Sega way of making SURE this wouldn't happen. Trust me Myke go try this in training mode. And mashing P+G constantly only adds to throw whiffs you cant mash. Myke you simply ain't no Denkai I can see that now

18. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

That's taken out of context, but that would be my question.

19. AkiraZero

AkiraZero Well-Known Member

Switch, even if there is no button-buffer system in game it still recognizes if a button was pressed while another button is held down (turn on inputs in Dojo). Just some very very useless info. ^^

20. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    Tell the truth. I'm certain you also map P+K and K+G. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif