1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 Q&A from Tougeki Damashi Vol 7

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Myke, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>Virtua Q&A</span>
    Source: Tougeki Damashi Vol 7
    Thanks to Chibitox for the scans, and nin for the translations.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: What is the correct way to not waste (or delay by) 1 frame in a combo?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: You have to finish the directional input before the buffer window begins. Your button inputs should occur during the buffer window.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: Why can't I guard Lion or Shun's down attack when I tech roll?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: Input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif then let go of /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif while holding /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif. It is recommended you tech roll with the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif direction. You can use this technique when you're hit from the back (such as after their flipover throw combos).

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: Lion does /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif when he is +8, but can still lose to a mid weight /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: Any move with an upward direction and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif can easily cause a jump cancel motion since jumping shares a similar input. In order to perform the attack with the quickest timing, you need to release the button as soon as possible.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: When I do Goh's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif then turn around and attempt a throw, why don't I get a 0f throw?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: For some reason the 0f unthrowable window appears to be longer than normal in this situation, so the 0f throw won't come out.
    Edit: I'm not sure Goh should get a 0f throw anyway? After /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif hits, Goh is +3, and turning around takes 6 frames so he hasn't wasted 10 frames yet?

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: It's hard to escape 0f throws. Is it true that the throw escape command will not be recognised before the throw starts?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: No. In fact 0f throws and normal throws are the same when it comes to Throw Escape timing: 10 frames before the throw, and between the 11th and 22nd frame after the throw.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: What is the execution of 0f throw after the unthrowable window?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: After a guard or hit, there will be a 10f unthrowable window, and since 0f throw executes instantly, if the timing is right you can throw 2f faster than a normal throw.

But in VF5, there aren't many situations of +10 or +11, so it's hard to use this as a guaranteed move. The real purpose of 0f throw is anti-fuzzy.

It's very powerful to throw after a /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif normal hit +4 situation if you can time it right. But in reality, this is hard to do consistently. Doing it at +5f is probably more practical.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: You rarely see a double hit in VF, so what happens when two moves hit eachother at the same time?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: The rules are that the higher damage attack wins. When the damage is the same, then the move with the slower execution time will win. If damage and exe are the same, then the player with 50pts life less will win. Otherwise, you'll get a double hit.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Q</span>: Can OM be buffered? Is it possible to combine OM with Throw Escapes?
    <span style='font-size: 17pt'>A</span>: OM is different to a dodge attack, you can buffer it during the recovery of a move.

Don't input the evade input too early (i.e. enter it during the input window) and then input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif with the joystick at neutral.

You can even input /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif after ETE to go into OM. The window for OM is 12f after the DM (or evade input). The idea is that if they throw then you entered a TE (or two), but if they attacked then your successful evade (DM) can turn into an OM and expose their side, or even their back. Due to the tight timing requirements this is quite difficult to do with a single throw escape, let alone two, but if successful the you could really turn the table during a disadvantage situation.

2. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

Thanks, interesting stuff

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Why "between the 11th and the 22nd frame"?

Other than this, it's a very interesting piece. Thanks.

4. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Why the confusion? The TE window should be nothing new to us by now!? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

The point of reference is the throw's single active frame. The throw escape window is 10f before the active frame, and 11f after the active frame.

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

That's what I knew, but the text I quoted originally seems to insinuate that it could be even 22f after the active frame... Or even that the first 10 frames after the single active frame will not count and only the frames included between the 11th and 22nd are actual moments in which you can enter the post-throw throw escapes. At least it's what it seems to me...

6. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Thanks for this - the OM buffer stuff is interesting.

I agree with franz that the "11th frame after the throw" language is confusing.

7. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

that last question thre was one I'd been wondering myself and will try to see if I can get the timing down.

8. katsudon37

katsudon37 Well-Known Member

That's interesting...everyone has been telling me to do the 0 frame throw after backturned pk, including the black book strategy, so it's kind of a surprise to hear that it doesn't work .

So does it mean it's difficult/rare for the 0frame throw come out, or it'll never come out? Can someone confirm this?

9. Sorias

Sorias Well-Known Member

Well, myke kind of explained it, but if you buffer the throw correctly, it will never come out. It takes 6 frames to turn around, and 0frame throws are illegal for 10 frames after a guard or hit. So, you need to delay for at least 4 frames to cause a 0frame throw.

10. Leonard_McCoy

Leonard_McCoy Well-Known Member

A slight delay (e.g. for buffering/inputting the 270° throw) will get rid of this problem allowing you to 0-Frame-throw your opponent.

11. EndCA

EndCA Well-Known Member

Thanks Myke interesting read, how often these come out and any chance for the previous Vol.'s?