1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5:R Location Test Report!

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Makatiel, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Makatiel

Makatiel Well-Known Member

First let me apologize and say, I suck. I was pretty much unable to get a video. I have half of a match between Jeff and Akira, but it wasn't even a good match and it doesn't show anything really interesting. I got caught recording it and had to turn it off in the middle. If you nevertheless want to see it, please let me know and I can email it to someone. Like I said, I have no way of uploading it onto the net.

I do have some good information though. Please keep in mind that all of this was from a location test, which means that much or even all of it could change. In fact, it could change tomorrow. We'll see.

1) I have a PDF (1MB) scan of the flyer that was given out during the location test. It contains some (not all) of the new moves for each character and a bunch of moves for Taka and Jean.

2) Two new characters:
    a) Yes, the karate guy is a guy. He is French and is named Jean Kujo. He is pretty interesting to play. He has lots of charge moves (and I mean A LOT). Looking at the partial move list, 14 of the 20 listed moves can be charged. Cool. He seemed to have some place holder moves (p+k,p is Jeffrey's p+k,p), but who knows. He also has some weird and interesting crumble / stuns. 66p does this weird stomach stun I've never seen before. 3p on counter does like a spinning knock down like Lau's 6k+g. He's got some pretty mean looking throws, most of which are a series of strikes. His heavy pounce takes a shit load of time to land. He's in the air, like flying for almost a second. Looks awesome, but I could only land it once cause it takes so long. He seemed to have lots of canned combos and mix ups. Again, I thought he was damn fun to play, even though I only knew like 20 or 30 moves.
    b) Taka was so, so awesome. I wish he was even bigger, but that's okay. He's retained his 180 throw and a bunch of his rush downs as well as his catch throw. He also has this really cool 3 hit string that ends with a shoulder ram. His heavy pounce is pretty much him falling on you. Hahahaha. Awesome. Lots of throws have been reanimated for him specifically. Some of the best ones are with the other characters just struggling to pick him up. Also, knocking him down makes him go nowhere. So many moves and canned combos miss on him cause he's so damn heavy and just drops to the ground before he can eat the second or third hit. People are going to have to really learn how to play specifically against him again. AWESOME.

3) System changes that I noticed:
    a) They changed low punch. It has a different animation, seems to have shorter reach and maybe different frame stats. It definitely seemed less useful.
    b) Throws seem to have 2 damage settings. My guess is that if you just get a normal throw off, it does 100% damage, but if you get a throw off during move recovery, you get like 125% damage. For big throws, the damage was HUGE. I'm not exactly sure when you get the high damage throw though. I think this will be a huge boon for grapplers.
    c) No attacks out of OM. OM is the same command (DM + pgk), but you can no longer attack out of it. I also saw side guard a few times but I have no idea what it does.
    d) Rising attacks were changed! I think you can no longer even do a rising attack if you are facing down. I'm not exactly sure, but I was talking to someone there and that's what he thought too. Crazy!
    e) Watching the VFTV thing while I was on line, I heard the announcer say something interesting: When someone hit a big combo, he said: "Saidai dameji ni chikai" which means "Has almost reached max damage" or something like that. I think maybe they've added a damage cap. Scaling already existed obviously, but I think we'll probably no longer see any more 120pt damage wall combos from Jeffrey.
    f) Stages are fucking awesome. There were quite a few awesome ones, my favorite being the rectangular one with fences on the long sides and openings at the ends (kind of like the exact opposite of the subway stage in VF3). Really cool. Also saw the octagonal stage and the stage that switches between fenced and no fences. I also saw a stage that seemed to have a really low fence, like just above your ankles. It was weird.

4) I was talking to a guy there and we were both surprised at how much seemed to have changed. Lots of attacks seemed to have different properties than what they used to have and there were definitely more kinds of flops and slams and bounds. For example, Akira's djk on the second kick flops the opponent (slow head over heels like Goh's catch throw), but it's a flop from which the victim can recover.

5) Specific character stuff that I noticed:
    a) They changed a few of the commands for Goh. 6p+k,p is now his two punch combo (6p,p from VF5). It still connects and I think it does the same damage. The original 6p+k,p (elbow combo thing) seems to be gone. However, they gave Goh a couple of nice things to make up for it, the most important being 3p,p (mid, high). Both attacks connect on regular hit and it grants a spinning knockdown. It's pretty fast, but I don't think it's 14 frames. Goh also has a pkp now. The last p doesn't connect on hit, but if it does hit, it automatically goes into a throw. Sweet. His shoulder ram is now 2_3 p+k, which means (I think) that you can 33p+k it. Sweet. He also has this very short range, long start up QCFp+k, which is like this headbutt. I bet it gives a crumble on hit, but I never hit with it. They also changed the animation for his 270 forward throw. It's like a slam then a neck break. Still seems to do 70pts or so of damage.
    b) Goddamn Pai is still annoying. I just wanted to say that.
    c) I think Kage's hurricane stance has been weakened. The 2k,k seems to do much less damage (though it still knocks down).
    d) They gave Jeff a jumping punch/elbow thing just like Wolf. It goes over low punches and sets up for a good combo. Awesome.

I'm sure I can think of other stuff, but I'll just post this for now. When I remember more, I'll post more.

2. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

3. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    *just shat himself over a game we may never get to play here*
    ----

125% on mC throws? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

No more Goh /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif (in this version)? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I hope they change their minds.

*cross fingers for:*
    DS Vanessa /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif=/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif
    <s>12 or 13 frame punisher (/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, +3/4 on hit)! </s>

Vanessa:
    DS,
    SHE GOT A /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif!!!!
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif//forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif are different?

OS,
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif HHMH
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif (no more /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif?!?) HH
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif M (no more catch throw? this version sucked anyway :p)
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif H
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is supposedly different
    SHE HAS ANOTHE /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif break THROW!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif (better throwing game?)

4. Makatiel

Also, just wanted to say that even in this preliminary version, the balance for the new characters seemed pretty good. No one was dominating or being dominated. There was a really good Vanessa there who actually made it to 10 wins (the limit), but otherwise, not a single person got that far.

I racked up a 4 match winning streak with Jean personally, which made me happy. And I saw a few short winning streaks (3-6 wins) with Taka too.

Of course all this can and will change. But I was surprised to see how well fleshed out the new characters were at this relatively early stage.

5. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

"d) They gave Jeff a jumping punch/elbow thing just like Wolf. It goes over low punches and sets up for a good combo. Awesome."

praise the lord, our prayers have been answered an anti LP weapon!

6. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Thanks a lot Makatiel for the report. We all really appreciate it. The game is sounding amazing already in these early stages. Jean Jujo sounds really interesting with all his charge attacks. I wonder if he's related to Lion in some way since they both are French.

Thanks Sudden_Death for posting his pics also. Lion got quite a few new moves. Can't wait to see what they are.

7. Manjimaru

Manjimaru Grumpy old man

PSN:
    manjimaruFI
    XBL:
    freedfrmtheReal
    Im not entirely sure I like the damage increase on throws... But other than that sounds interesting.

Why not Jean Reno..

8. ShinobiFist

ShinobiFist Well-Known Member

Holy shit! Jeff has a jumping elbow, Oh my. Jeff is going to motherfucking insane, he needs it. One of the flyer pics shows something interesting that caught my eye......El Blaze looks like he is doing a off the wall move VS Wolf(Something he should of had from the beginning)Can someone confirmed that? And low punches being different now....There is a GOD. Can't wait for info brother.

9. Makatiel

I actually really like the idea of more damage for throws on mC (again, this is all assuming my understanding of the game was correct and that it all doesn't change tomorrow).

The way I see it, too often, "moral" players would not use throws in throw guaranteed situations because they could get relatively good damage from a fast slam attack, or from p,k or a p string that was no risk. If you have to choose between 40pts of guaranteed damage or 50 points of throw damage that might be broken, lots of people go for the 40pts of guaranteed damage.

However, if you have to choose between 40pts of guaranteed damage and 65pts - 80pts of throw damage (again, which might be broken), we might see much more varied (and high risk, high return) play. And I think that's a good thing.

10. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

God I envy you. Jean sounds absolutely fun to play and Taka has returned with a vengeance I see. I want to see some videos of these characters in action.. like now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d) They gave Jeff a jumping punch/elbow thing just like Wolf. It goes over low punches and sets up for a good combo. Awesome.</div></div>
    Yes! Finally something to punish those 2P spammers on my (terrible) sidestepping Jeff.

11. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    Thank you very much for the opening report makatiel!!!!
    So you're suggesting that Goh now has a elbow follow up ? OH shit. Or have they changed his elbow too?

12. Reno

Reno Well-Known Member

Good job on the report! I'm liking the Goh stuff although I'm not thrilled with having his 6P+K, P gone...

It also looks like Lion's D, f+P got moved to D, d/f+P!? Does that mean we can punish low attacks with f+P, P now!? Yeah!

Edit: Crap f+P, P got changed too! Damnit!

13. Makatiel

When you say elbow, I assume you mean his 3p (in VF5). If so, then I think yes, Goh now has an elbow follow up. The only thing that makes me a bit hesitant is that:

1) Goh also has a new 6p, which has no follow up. Remember old 6p,p is now 6p+k,p.

2) I'm not sure if 3p is 14 frames. It may be, but I'm not sure. If it's 15 frames, then it's really a replacement of old 6p+k,p and not really an elbow follow up.

14. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Rising attacks seem very intriguing, what about the hit boxes are they fixed? Also how about the crouch dashing, general movement? Faster slower?
    Thanks for the report!

15. Makatiel

Not sure about the hitboxes actually.

Crouch dashing and movement seemed unchanged. Taka felt a bit slow (obviously), and actually a few of Jean's moves specifically also felt kind of sluggish (his neutral k for example seemed to take a lot of time to come out - it's mid, like Goh's), but I think that's just that move. Jean had lots of fast, fluid moves as well.

There was one annoying Vanessa who used backwalk quite a bit (and incidentally, kicked my ass). Maybe he was trying to draw attention to it? Not sure.

I don't think people who played a lot of VF5 will feel unfamiliar with the speed of VF5R.

16. KrsJin

KrsJin Well-Known Member

This.sounds.so.amazing.already.

For real, I knew there would be changes and a few moves added, but had no idea there would be this many changes, and this drastic of changes, or this many moves added. It's almost like a new iteration entirely from the looks of things lol.

I too like the idea of the mC throw damage increase, but I guess we'll have to see it in practice for awhile before we can really judge.

MAN I"M EXCITED /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif HYPED HYPED HYPHY /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

That could very well be. It's better to abuse anything and everything during these loke tests.

17. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    That's not too bad if the new 6p is his elbow the command change is fine by me. Does the new 6p have better range than the old elbow?

18. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

I hope that Wolf's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif means that he got his old Rolling Arm Drag from VF3 back.
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif - no more Grizzly?
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/u.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif are different moves now?

New characters and stages sound well done. I want to see Wolf try for the Jackhammer and Jeffry the Military Press on Taka and if they've been reanimated.

As for the 125% throw damage. I do like the sound of that. Makes them a lot more dangerous.

Also, are there any more wall actions, as the third picture on the second flyer seems to indicate so.

19. Makatiel

Hmm, I'm not really sure.

I was using 3p,p so much more cause it was just so kick ass. It has a lot of range, especially the second punch follow up. It's actually visually an elbow attack, so Goh moves forward quite a bit. And like I said, the 3p,p is a spinning knock down so it's very satisfying to land. Hahahaha.

I also forgot to mention, they switched the 3p+k and 1P+k around (so 1p+k sabakis elbows and mid punches now, not 3p+k). Not really sure why they made this change. The new 3p+k has a new animation and he steps forward a bit more.

Also, I forgot to mention an awesome change for Goh. 46p+k,p can now be followed with a p+g to go into tsukami. It doesn't automatically connect, so it becomes a guessing game between 46p+k,p,6p and 46p+k,p,p+g. Or you can always use 46p+k,p,p to be safe and also as a slam ending for air combos. Awesome. More ways to get into tsukami is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbs_up.gif

Oh, two awesome El Blaze things I remember.
    1) He has this awesome pile driver throw that I think is his new big throw. I ate it on mC and definitely did more than 80pts of damage.
    2) El Blaze also has this Jacky like hit throw. I bet the command is the same (3p+k, on hit, p+g). He does this stomach punch, then while he's kind of under you, he reaches up and grabs your face and smashes your nose on his forehead. It looks really cool.

20. Makatiel

Sorry, I don't know anything about Wolf. He's an advanced character and I'm mediocre at best. Hahaha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New characters and stages sound well done. I want to see Wolf try for the Jackhammer and Jeffry the Military Press on Taka and if they've been reanimated.</div></div>

Some of the coolest throws on Taka were those by El Blaze and Vanessa. They had to climb up mad high to get on Taka. For one of El Blaze's throws (I think regular p+g) where he suplexes the opponent, for Taka, he does this jump up first to get momentum from gravity then does this meaty suplex, where Taka just kind rolls onto the floor. It looks awesome and funny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for the 125% throw damage. I do like the sound of that. Makes them a lot more dangerous.</div></div>

Same, but we'll see how or whether it needs to be further balanced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, are there any more wall actions, as the third picture on the second flyer seems to indicate so. </div></div>

Unfortunately, I didn't see any. The third picture on the flyer says:

In VF5R, there are 10 types of stages and flying-type attacks have been increased (!!!) [I'm guessing this means yes!]. There are stages where of the 4 sides, only one has a wall and others where you can break walls or the walls will change. Special wall moves and attacks that use walls have also been increased. Use of walls and keeping conscious of your surroundings will be more important than ever.

Sounds awesome! I actually read it for the first time right now. Hahahaha.

As for stuff I actually saw:
    Taka's got a wall throw that reminds me of Jeffrey's wall hump. I hope it was just a place saver move. The really great Vanessa (not the backstep one) got one of her wall throws on me, but I'm pretty sure it was one of her old ones.