1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 story? Opinions, guesses, assumptions - fun!

Discussion in 'General' started by Goom, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Goom

Goom Active Member

VF5, the story! Felt like starting a fun discussion.
    Basically, whatca all think about story possibilities in VF5?

Does Akira find his "true power" or does he "find" Aoi /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

What about Wolf's dreams?

Does Jeffy win enough prize money for his sonor, and if so is that enough to find and kill the Satan Shark? Or does he enter the fifth World Grappling Tournament in hopes of winning more money? Perhaps to capture Kage and use him as bait?

What about Lau? Does he find his Ko-en-Ken successor? Is it Pai? Does he die before the 5th tournament from his illness? Or does Lei kill him?

And if Lei does not kill Lau, does the opposite occur? Or must Lei return to his temple, with his mission failed?

Does Shun find his missing student?

Who wins the 4th World Grappling Tournament?

Just some fun questions.
    Feel free to ask your own. :p

What do I hope happens?
    A romance between Akira and Aoi could be interesting, but I think Akira is to hard-set on training to notice her. Maybe in a few more years.

As for Lau and Lei. Hopefully something drastic happens here, one of them will be dead before the 5th tournament. The two of them in the final bout, and Lei kills Lau during the last round? Or vice versa but Lau dies soon after? Well, if Lau has to die I hope Lei kills him, not a disease.
    Hopefully Pai isn't his successor in Ko-en-Ken, but he better find one.

Who wins the 4th tournament. I'd like to see Wolf win, or it'd be interesting to have Lau win again but Lei kills him during a ceremony or something.

Additions for VF5?
    Well, Taka coming back would be cool.
    Ideas for new characters?
    Definetly a Muay Thai warrior.
    Perhaps someone trained in Dim Mak? Hapkido?

Lastly in VF5, a campaign mode would be cool. Or whatever you call it, basically a story mode. Though other games elaborate on their stories more, I absolutely love the VF story more.

That's about it for this post /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Oh, and VF5? I can imagine the graphics are going to pratically life-like, absolutely amazing in the arcades.

2. Lion_Rafale

Lion_Rafale Member

Why can't Lion win a tournament?? I think Akira or Kage will win the 4th tourny.

3. Moby

Moby Well-Known Member

Does Akira find his "true power" or does he "find" Aoi /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Not likely! Aoi's "mission" in VF3 was to take down Akira, and she failed utterly... her mission in VF4 now is utter revenge. Sounds like she's a wee bit obsessed, and not in the romantic way. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Does Jeffy win enough prize money for his sonor, and if so is that enough to find and kill the Satan Shark?

The whole Satan Shark side story has always been the most ridiculous part of the VF storyline. It's like this whole separate "superboss" that has nothing to do with J6, Dural or the other VF storylines. And they haven't revealed anything more about Satan Shark over the past 4 iterations of the game, other than that Jeffry is still obsessed with it. <font color=orange>I see a pattern!</font color=orange>

And if Lei does not kill Lau, does the opposite occur? Or must Lei return to his temple, with his mission failed?

If Lei doesn't kill Lau, then Lau dies from the wierd terminal disease they gave him in VF4. Surely one of the most morbid story turns in any fighting game. And without Lau, seems like Lei won't have a target for his own obsession anymore... They could do something tragically cliched, like Lau defeats Lei in their final dramatic showdown, only to succumb to his disease shortly thereafter.

If they ever do remove Lau from the next VF game, they might decide to give Pau some of his distinctive koen-ken moves; perhaps this is how he redeems himself, by re-establishing his relationship with his daughter, and her thus agreeing to pass the koen-ken tradition on. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif Then Pai can finally focus on <font color=orange>her</font color=orange> own obsession... acting!

Ideas for new characters? Definetly a Muay Thai warrior. Perhaps someone trained in Dim Mak? Hapkido?

I'd be interested in some non-Asian martial arts, especially non-Chinese ones. 8 of the 13 characters in VF4 use chinese martial arts, and that's a really high proportion. Let's see some of the more stylish, perhaps more obscure disciplines!!

Lastly in VF5, a campaign mode would be cool. Or whatever you call it, basically a story mode.

This will never happen. Yu Suzuki has gone on record saying that VF is supposed to be a "pure" fighting game simulation, with as little of the surrounding fluff other fighting games have, as possible. This means ridiculous graphical explosions or other tricks, intros & cinematics or highly developed storylines. You'll have to live with some sort of advanced Kumite mode utilizing a much more advanced VF.NET system in VF5. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. chucky

chucky Well-Known Member

VF never had much storyline compared to other fighters like Tekken and MK, I dont think they will do much of this either.

5. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm...I can see it, wait...
    Wolf wins the competition finally, but dies from strikes from Akira..

6. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

My guess is Kage wins again. That's needed to keep the story line going.

7. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Lei:

In VF4 Lei want to learn Lau's Koenken, before he kills Lau and completes his mission.

WTF would he want to learn Koenken if this is only possible if he defeats Lau with his own Shaolin-ken. Why bother learning a inferior style?

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Not inferior style, inferior apponent.

9. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

I agree, Lau is an old fart, his style won't help him if his body is weak.. (providing that it actually IS of course)
    Hahaha, listen to me gooo! "Body is weak" lol.. I'm a regular Bruce Lee /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

However, Lei is young and looks nasty enough, so perhaps he'll be even deadlier when he masters this Koen-ken.. Just a thought anyway =)

Regarding the 'Muay Thai warrior' mentioned above, it should be noted that Vanessa is something of a Muay Thai warrior already. The inclusion of a new character in the same line would be a waste imo.

Western arts are really welcome though, if I had confidence that a boxer would be justified within the VF system (or rather the other way around) I'd really like to see a char in the line of Dudley from SF3 or Steve Fox from Tekken 4, in VF. With evasive maneuvers and a well balanced rush game. With the return of staggers, it could prove interesting..
    The ground game would be a joke though, save for perhaps pounces. Still, the credibility would suffer greatly..

Oh well, I didn't see Vanessa coming for VF4, so I'm sure Yu will surprise us with VF5 as well.

It somewhat worries me though, that people (including myself in this matter) are already speculating about VF5, despite the fact that VF4 almost hasn't settled in yet...

Edit: what the heck is a World Grappling Tournament anyway...? lol /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

If I were in charge, Akira and Kage would have no chance of winning. I'd have Jeff win. THAT would open your eyes. Heh, he could be the hero of VF5 (and be VF's poster boy instead of Akira). Wait...I've just had an even better idea.... Lau beats Dural, then collapses and his stomach starts thumping. Yep, turns out there was an Alienâ„¢ inside him...and it knows koenken(HAHAHA) and can be VF5's boss. (I'm tired right now...)

11. Goom

Goom Active Member

Yep, and then make the Alien playable, and create Akira, Wolf, and Vannesa clones, and have the Alien breed with various animals for hybrid-creatures, and make them playable.
    And we can call it Tekken 5! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

12. akira2001

akira2001 Well-Known Member

OK, I would officially like it to be known we have gone overboard with the VF5story/alien popping out of stomach bit. Not that it is not funny. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Honestly, I am curious to see how the story will unfold. But, I think it would be a credit to the fans if there were some kind of ending movie-clip to explain what happens after VF5.
    Just like any ohter game: beat the game with Akira, see Akira's ending. That would be cool.

As for new character styles, I would enjoy seeing a shoot fighter or a grappler (Brazailian would be cool). I still wouldn't even mind seeing a western style boxer (although he may get trounced without kicking or ground skills). If nothing else, do the capoeira thing. That could be interesting.

13. Goom

Goom Active Member

Yeh, either a Brazilian grappling style or perhaps even Judo.
    As for boxing, that could be done with Muay Thai (Thailand kickboxing). In regards to his move list, emphasis could be placed more on his punches, elbows and headbunts - MT isn't a very restrictive form, simply the art of 8 weapons (parts of your body). A cool character could be created while avoiding making a clone.

Not sure if I really want Lau to die, he's the coolest character imo. I would love to see him in the graphical splendor that will be VF5. Maybe he kills Lei and finds his successor to train, and then by VF5 he has trained the successor a lot. With Lei's death, his clan is pissed as send their ultimate warrior after him. Or something /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Mirkan

Mirkan Well-Known Member

Well well, to add my 2 cents to this story discussion...

Lau is ill, it's a disease that will eventually lead to his death. Unless he finds a cure, which, in the light of the soap opera-like story of VF, isn't entirely out of the question. Maybe VF4 was all in Pai's dreams.. (Bobby - Dallas, anyone?)

Oh well, seriously... After VF3 I didn't think SEGA would ever remove a character from VF, but with Taka gone I guess you can't be so sure. Lau, providing he doesn't find a cure, is likely to be replaced or removed in VF5. I think it could come down to if Lei's style is accepted or not (hence he wanting to master Koen-ken - Lau's style)
    If Lei is accepted, then perhaps Lau will live, if not, I think we should consider the possibility that SEGA prefers the Lei design, and makes him the carrier of Lau's style in VF5.
    Err.. I'm still walking around the main issue here, hehe...

Story wise then, I have a few questions and perhaps answers concerning Jacky and Sarah that I've thought of:

Sarah & Jacky Bryant

It's evident that Jacky no longer fights for his sister, her being back to normal. But if Jacky fights because J6 is messing with his sponsors, then he won't stop until he's defeated them. If he indeed does defeat J6, or at least makes 'em back off, Jacky would have nothing left to fight for and probably leave his kickflipping ways behind in favour of his racing carreer.

In other words, something comes up that makes him train and fight again. I've heard suggestions of a relationship between Vanessa and Jacky. There just may be some truth to that, we'll see.

However, I think, in VF4, that Jacky has both the ambition and the strength to win.

As for Sarah, she either defeats Jacky or she doesn't. If she does, then the same for her, she's in desperate need of a reason to fight.
    Most likely she'll want revenge against J6 herself, and by defeating Jacky she found the confidence in that she can.

15. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Re: VF5 story? Opinions, guesses, assumptions - fu

<font color=white> Jacky & Sarah </font color=white>: Would need more wing chun in their arsenal. + Jacky should win VF4...cant explain it, but it makes sense to me even if I dont like the guy.

<font color=white> Lei </font color=white>: If Lau passes on his style to Lei, and it becomes a stance for him while keeping all his present techniques...ouch. He's definitly gonna win VF5.

<font color=white> New Styles </font color=white>: How about having someone doing plain old karate in there? Shotokan or Kyokushin etc. Their's loads to choose from. Another grappler would be interesting as in some Sambo. As for a regular boxer, might aswell get someone who does Sanshou to give them a full arsenal or even savate. I'd like to see some internal styles aswell : it would be great to have some tai chi fighter in there, that would bring VF to a whole other level compared to most fighting games. We could even add more "specialty"/animal styles into the mix : monkey, eagle, leopard, snake, actual pure wing chun stylist... When it comes to Muay Thai, they have it covered with vanessa, aswell as the "brazilian grappling" which is vale tudo (which is not so much a style as it is a competition). If they would be considering jujitsu, they would have the japanese version and not the brazilian or would add to Kage's repertoire of manipulations.

16. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Koreans!!!! I want a Korean in VF5! Somebody better hear me! Tae Kwon Do! Sure, Sarah has a flamingo but, it's not enough. Give me a real Tae Kwon Do master. I know it's been done plenty before and I don't care :p One of the new characters had better be KOREAN! Damnitt!

17. American_Pai

American_Pai Well-Known Member

I always figured if they were going to kill off a character it would be Shun. I love him to death but the guy's 80 years old fighting with young bucks like Akira (one good deep bodycheck and whoops...need a new hip). If they took him out I'd like to see them replace him with a drunken chick. She could be his granddaughter or something.

As for a new style I'd like to see the Am2 version of Eddy's style on Tekken. I've heard people say Eddy's too Gymkata-ish and not a very realistic version of the style. In Shenmue 2 they had 2 styles that would maybe work in a VF game. Eileen and Yuan had moves that weren't jacked from VF games and some of their moves were pretty cool.

18. akira2001

akira2001 Well-Known Member

Replace Shun with a drunk chick?? Sure. What guy wouldn't want to see a badass chick(who's drunk no less).

As for the animal styles, I could handle that. That would be cool.

I wouldn't mind seeing a chick grappler. Not like Vanessa. Her moves aren't based enough on grappling for me. I talking about a shooting in, guards, mounts, triangle chokes, keylocks, armbars, knee bar, ankle pics, rear naked chokes, the whole nine yards. Hell, I wouldn't mind an eye gauge used as something like a krumble or stagger.

Or, perhaps a chick wrestler. Yaaa, a mud wrestler.

19. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

chokes and locks would be great......theres tons in aikido if i am correct. nothing like choking someone out till they're blue....../versus/images/icons/smile.gif

20. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I've heard suggestions of a relationship between
    Vanessa and Jacky. There just may be some truth to that, we'll see.

<hr></blockquote>
    I must admit, I love romantic side stories. Jacky x Vanessa would be very sweet. Especially since she seems like such a cold, lonely woman... could she rediscover love amongst the family she must protect? That would be interesting.

One thing they still haven't explained is the sudden disappearance of Taka. Oh well, they could do that easily enough. Just have a screen of him saying "I have to go now! My planet needs me." (^^)