1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

VF5 system Movement and Maneuvering Techniques

Discussion in 'New Starter' started by SUGATA, Aug 11, 2021.

1. SUGATA

SUGATA Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SUGATA_RUS
    System Movement and Maneuvering Techniques in VF5.
    ATTENTION! This Guide war written my me in 2008 on our russian forum for vanilla VF5, so some techs may be not actual for VF5FS/US.
    https://www.fighting.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3067&p=123725&hilit=техники+передвижения#p123725

> Help me find and correct which one is not actual for VF5US/FS anymore?..

Why it is important to be able to move well during combat:

1) The moving target is harder to be aimed - (in addition, in the advanced machinery are inserted also evasive techniques (ex: DM, crouch dash), which allow to go directly from the opponent attacks).
    2) You have better control over the distance to the enemy (Zoning) - it is important for inflicting your attacks (since a miss-whiff in VF is similar to death, since after the attack comes Recovery (return of the striking hand to its original position) when you are completely defenseless and which lasts longer than even your "minus" when hitting an opponent's block.
    3) You provoke the enemy (by your "dance" around him) to actions, attack, trying to get him to miss-whiff it, thus. made a serious mistake for which you will have to punish him. Those. conducting this kind of "game of nerves" and attention, you exhaust your opponent.
    4) You "mask" your intentions (plans), becoming more unpredictable (less "readable") for the opponent.

What range (range) - (range) for which my actions:

General averaged scheme: (further-> shorter)
    Kick > Elbow > Punch > Throw
    And, in turn, Throw are: Catch throw> Normal Throw (NT) (which also differ slightly in grabbing range between different characters, for example, from Wolfe, some NT get-grab more than others).

Modes of Movement in VF5 :
    1) ARM - All around movement:
    Simply holding any 8 directions to walk.
    Analysis:
    + different characters has different speed
    + For fast characters, good even at close range.
    + For all characters, good at medium and close range.
    + Cancel (guard, attack, dashes, evades).
    - Vulnerable to Throw.

2) Dash .
    FWD Dash-(6,6).
    BWD Dash- (4,4), exe = 21fr, NOT canceled by guard.
    Analysis:
    + Easy to execute (a series of FWD dash is possible - (buffered) -> BWD dash In one continuous movement (lure the enemy to attack). (Attention: but not vice versa, you cannot cancel-transfer BWD dash to FWD dash).
    + One step longer than Crouch dash.
    ! -Only FWD dash-it is possible to cancel -stop with the Guard'om.
    -Vulnerable to Throw.

3) Crouch dash
    FWD cd- (3,3) -exe = 6fr.
    BWD cd-(1,1)-exe=8fr.
    Crouch - (2_) - exe = 7fr.
    It is possible to make continuous series of cd'y (i.e. move in a constant crouch stance).
    Analysis:
    + This is the "king of movement " - eliminates high strike and throw.
    + Canceled by all (including Guard).
    - More difficult to do.

4) Running .
    When you are far from the enemy - (6,6 _) - can only be forward.
    Analysis:
    + Some characters have specials. running attacks.
    + Fastest movement in VF5.
    -Not canceled by G - must stop at the beginning (release 6).

5) Jumping .
    7_ или 8_ или 9_ +(press and holding)P or K.
    Analysis:
    + Against a lying opponent or when you have your back to him.
    + Negates Throw.
    - Not canceled by G.

6) Forward roll .
    Command input (for example, 6+ (P + K + G)) - only some characters have. Series (buffer) of several rolls are possible.
    Analysis:
    + Fast forward movement.
    + Negates High strikes and throws, and some Mid strikes.
    + Okizeme (anti-wakeup) - by UraMawari going - in the eastern martial arts, behind the back of the opponent on his getting up, coming to his senses.
    + After successful TEs to "roll away" from the opponent to a safe distance.
    - Do not cancel.
    - Vulnerable to Low strikes and throws.

7) Defensive movement(DM)
    Click 8 or 2
    Analysis:
    + Negates linear attacks.
    - Vulnerable to circular attacks and Throw.

8) Offensive movement(OM)
    Immediately after pressing 8 or 2, click P + K + G
    Analysis:
    + When you have adv. > or = 0, then with the help of OM you can avoid 2 main enemy options at once - both attack (even sometimes circular), and Throw, due to the fact that Throw also has its own hitbox radius (and at the end of OM you will already be out of it actions, far from the side, behind the opponent's back).

Maneuvering techniques in VF5:
    1) Box step
    Execution:
    BWD dash->DM(2)->FWD dash->DM(8).
    Analysis:
    + BWD dash-breaks-controls the distance to the enemy-> It (as an unsafe option) is canceled in DM (if at the moment of the opponent's impact this happens, then it turns out succesfull DM, we have adv.) -> FWD dash reduces the distance to the enemy for us for appr. attacks (her range), -> If we do not attack, then we go to DM (avoiding possible oncoming attacks of the enemy) ... Thus, sooner or later, we lure the enemy into a positional (range, advantage) trap.

2) CD Box step
    An advanced version of Box step, when instead of FWD dash, FWD crouch dash is performed (as the safest attack option, since it levels the oncoming High strikes and Throws).
    Execution:
    BWD dash->DM(2)->FWD cd->DM(8)
    Analysis:
    + is better suited against aggressive opponents.

3) Safe retreat :
    Execution:
    BWD dash->DM->BWD cd.
    Analysis:
    + As a match-opener against an aggressive opponent; or break (safely) the distance.
    + The last move (cd) cancels your possible Failed (!) DM, i.e. shortening your recovery time when you are completely vulnerable to enemy attacks.
    + With cd you are in crouch status, => you can use resp. counterattack movements (ex: Goh, 2_6P + K).

4) Aggressive Feint :
    Execution:
    FWD dash-> BWD cd (maybe 2 times).
    Analysis:
    + Used when attacking and provoking an opponent to attack (FWD dash) -> then by BWD cd you neutralize his possible attack, with the ability to counterattack-paint over especially with attacks from crouch stance, For example, Goh 2_6P + K).

5) Vane Back Off :
    For characters with fast ARM only.
    Execution:
    BWD dash->DM->ARM backward(4_).
    Analysis:
    + Due to the fact that ARM is done at the end of the maneuver - this is a safer option and better control of the distance to the enemy - for an immediate counterattack.

6) There are even more advanced techniques , but they are rather sharpened already for certain characters and their style of combat and command input. Here we looked at basic and universal techniques .
    This is, for example, the legendary Minami step used by the best Japanese Akira players to realize its full potential (of this "death machine"):
    http://virtuafighter.com/view.php?secti ... i_step.php
    ... But that's a completely different story.

You can experiment with movement by yourself (developing for yourself techniques ):
    ... based on the Step-canceling chart , where the movement is indicated and what it can be canceled (what it can be translated into):
    1) FWD dash - canceled: BWD dash, BWD cd, G, DM, Attack.
    2) BWD dash-canceled: DM, Attack.
    3) FWD cd-canceled: G, Attack.
    4) BWD cd-canceled: FWD dash, BWD dash, G, Attack.
    5) DM-canceled: FWD dash, BWD dash, FWD cd, BWD cd.

ATTENTION: always when performing DM- (in case it is not successful and Failed DM occurs) -always following the command DM (2, or 8) -enter (buffer) BWD cd, due to which:
    -If you still have a Failed DM, you will cancel it and shorten the recovery period (defenselessness).
    -If you have a Succesful DM, then nothing just happens (SDM is not canceled) -and you will safely step up the enemy's attack.
    Those. always do not just one DM, but its extended options:
    1) Evade crouch dash (ECD) - what was described now (defensive technique with maneuvering), see also posts 19-29.
    2) ETEG-only protective technique, no maneuvering.
    3) Evade Attack-defensive-counterattacking technique, without maneuvering.

Media :
    1) Video guide to the system movement and maneuvering techniques in VF5:
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/9447
    2) English resources:

2. masterpo

masterpo VF Martial Artist Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    lastmonk
  3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

HERE IS THE VFDC WIKI ARTICLE ON MOVEMEN: https://virtuafighter.com/wiki/movement/

NOTE: I 100% am cool with making independent posts and guides on information like this. I really appreciate all your efforts @SUGATA . The only concern here is that Final Showdown/Ultimate Showdown is very different from VF5 Vanilla. So let’s use this opportunity to improve all of our understanding of Final Showdown’s movement system ^_^

I think a lot of this is different from Final Showdown/Ultimate Showdown. I think it has to be stated that all of the VF5 games are their own games completely. I might post another reply that will point to the relevant information from the wiki….

But some updates off the top of my head:

Forward Crouch Dash (353 or 323) - Takes 5 frames to crouch. I believe it is 5 frames in movement as well.

Backward Crouch Dash (151 or 121) - Takes 6 frames to crouch. I believe it is 6 frames in movement as well.

FYI it takees 7 frames to crouch by pressing 2G.

Offensive Move serves a different function now, I believe. The big deal with Offensive Movement (and it should still be used at an advantage) is you will put the opponent into “Side Turn” when you do this. If you attack right away after OM, your opponent will be in ST and frame data will be modified in Side Turn. The Side Turn system is a big innovation in Final Showdown and some characters are amazing with Side Turn, some characters are good with Side Turn, and some characters are just so so with Side Turn. It’s a cool new dynamic!

I think if the opponent attacks you, you will get hit out of OM, which is why we often do it from advantage now.

HAVING SAID THE ABOVE I do think this is a cool opportunity to compare your notes from VF5 Vanilla and use it to better understand Final Showdown’s Movement System and the goals within it! So I hope to continue doing that and I’m glad you made this post to begin with ^_^

WhiteLotuShogun, SUGATA and Tricky like this.
  4. Shoju

Shoju Well-Known Member

I hate the changes to the movement system in FS especially when compared to VF4. You can no longer cancel your back crouch dash with guard or another movement. Both backdash and back CD will be launched by sidekicks or take counter hit status from anything else. If hit during any movement that isn't forward you'll be CH. On top of that there's the really small stages and big wall combos.

I think there whole philosophy for FS was to make every decision more of a commitment and more rewarding or punishing on a right or wrong read. Sidestep goes further round, backdash and back CD are faster and move slightly further compared to VF5 but carry much more risk as a consequence. Clash of course has been removed.

Chanchai likes this.